M8 PHOTOGRAPHS, POST THEM HERE

wilfredo

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 9:36 AM, rivi1969 said:

M8 + Zeiss 35mm f2. (never filter!)

I do not know if this will make any difference to you.  I pass it on as the example of what Leica's advice is on the matter,

Using Leica UV/IR filters to correct color shifts
for particular subjects and lighting situations
The use of CCD sensor such as in the LEICA M8. 2
always results in a slight technology conflict. Sensors
of this type have increased sensitivity to infrared light
that is not visible to the human eye and, unless appro-
priate counter-measures are taken and in specific, rather
rare situations, can consequently cause a slight but
problematic color shift in pictures. This is particularly
the case for fabrics made of black artificial fibers
photographed under incandescent bulbs, i.e. artificial
light. In such cases, without correction the black can
be reproduced as something between purple and dark
red.
The normal counter-measure, as on the LEICA M8. 2 ,
is to use an IR blocking filter directly in front of the
sensor. However, each additional optical element be -
tween the lens and the image sensor reduces the per-
formance of the entire system to a small but visible
extent.
For this reason, Leica has deliberately used an excep-
tionally thin filter in the LEICA M8. 2 , which allows the
outstanding performance of the Leica M lenses to be
utilized to the full, at the expense of a slightly lower IR
blocking effect.
To eliminate possible color shifts – without having to
accept the associated disadvantages – Leica supplies
UV/IR filters (see “Filters”, p. 152), which are screwed
on in front of the relevant lens. In addition to the infor-
mation that coded Leica M lenses (see next section)
transfer to the camera, the camera then automatically
corrects any remaining color shift for the specific lens
fitted. As a result, you obtain pictures with the impres-
sive sharpness and contrast typical of Leica M lenses
and totally realistic color reproduction.

• Like 3

Secret Garden, Occoquan by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Leica M8 with the 50/1.5 Jupiter-3+, IR cut filter used. Wide-Open.

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, analog-digital said:

What means wide open exactly?

The lens is used at it's maximum aperture, this lens is set at F1.5 for this image. The focus is spot-on.

It's an old term, I've used for a long time. Probably read it in the Photo-Magazines in the early 70s. And a good reason to keep the M8 with it's 1/8000th second top shutter speed.

The J3+ has a minimum focus of 0.7m. The edges get fairly wild with a Sonnar formula lens, on the M8 the crop factor tends to tame it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by BrianS
  • Like 4

On 9/17/2020 at 3:54 AM, boojum said:

I do not know if this will make any difference to you.  I pass it on as the example of what Leica's advice is on the matter,

Using Leica UV/IR filters to correct color shifts
for particular subjects and lighting situations
The use of CCD sensor such as in the LEICA M8. 2
always results in a slight technology conflict. Sensors
of this type have increased sensitivity to infrared light
that is not visible to the human eye and, unless appro-
priate counter-measures are taken and in specific, rather
rare situations, can consequently cause a slight but
problematic color shift in pictures. This is particularly
the case for fabrics made of black artificial fibers
photographed under incandescent bulbs, i.e. artificial
light. In such cases, without correction the black can
be reproduced as something between purple and dark
red.
The normal counter-measure, as on the LEICA M8. 2 ,
is to use an IR blocking filter directly in front of the
sensor. However, each additional optical element be -
tween the lens and the image sensor reduces the per-
formance of the entire system to a small but visible
extent.
For this reason, Leica has deliberately used an excep-
tionally thin filter in the LEICA M8. 2 , which allows the
outstanding performance of the Leica M lenses to be
utilized to the full, at the expense of a slightly lower IR
blocking effect.
To eliminate possible color shifts – without having to
accept the associated disadvantages – Leica supplies
UV/IR filters (see “Filters”, p. 152), which are screwed
on in front of the relevant lens. In addition to the infor-
mation that coded Leica M lenses (see next section)
transfer to the camera, the camera then automatically
corrects any remaining color shift for the specific lens
fitted. As a result, you obtain pictures with the impres-
sive sharpness and contrast typical of Leica M lenses
and totally realistic color reproduction.

Actually I have the filters but I don’t mind using my lenses without them. Since I only shoot raw I can easily make any color adjustments in post. 

Leica M8, Voigtländer Color Skopar 3.5/28mm Edited by analog-digital
  • Like 3

Leica M8, Voigtländer Color Skopar 3.5/28mm
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, rivi1969 said:

Actually I have the filters but I don’t mind using my lenses without them. Since I only shoot raw I can easily make any color adjustments in post. 

You know, I am just not quite as bright as the average bear.  For myself I would opt for the filter, the one I have does not change the f-stop, and not have to fiddle with it in post.  I am sure that you have a work flow where this is not an issue, however.

I lived in Jalisco for a few years and miss the vibrancy of the Mexican world.  And the street food.  Oh, baby, were are talking food to die for.  You know what I mean. I had a French chef friend visit me while I was living in Mexico.  He had been told the food would be awful.  First day he changed his mind and was very excited at trying something new as often as possible.  A Mexican anthropologist described Mexican food to me as ten thousand ways to serve corn.  I suppose, and the corn is served very well.  İAnimo!

Edited by boojum
added word

18 hours ago, boojum said:

You know, I am just not quite as bright as the average bear.  For myself I would opt for the filter, the one I have does not change the f-stop, and not have to fiddle with it in post.  I am sure that you have a work flow where this is not an issue, however.

I lived in Jalisco for a few years and miss the vibrancy of the Mexican world.  And the street food.  Oh, baby, were are talking food to die for.  You know what I mean. I had a French chef friend visit me while I was living in Mexico.  He had been told the food would be awful.  First day he changed his mind and was very excited at trying something new as often as possible.  A Mexican anthropologist described Mexican food to me as ten thousand ways to serve corn.  I suppose, and the corn is served very well.  İAnimo!

How do you like Tortas Ahogadas?

Yes, mexican food is amazing, actually each State has its own cuisine, just in Veracruz there are more than 2000 recipies to prepare red snapper fish :)

Regarding the filter thing, yes... many “purists” say the camera is unusable because of the magenta issue with black fabrics, I really don’t care, and for some reason  those filter-less files produces some stunning black and white conversions. Think of the M8 as the poor’s man Monochrome!

4 minutes ago, rivi1969 said:

How do you like Tortas Ahogadas?

Yes, mexican food is amazing, actually each State has its own cuisine, just in Veracruz there are more than 2000 recipies to prepare red snapper fish :)

Regarding the filter thing, yes... many “purists” say the camera is unusable because of the magenta issue with black fabrics, I really don’t care, and for some reason  those filter-less files produces some stunning black and white conversions. Think of the M8 as the poor’s man Monochrome!

Mexican food.  If there are 100 million Mexicans there are at least 200 million recipes for salsa.  Tortas Ahogadas were good. The tamales around Santa Rosalia and Mulege, where I lived for a while, were great, each with an olive - with pit - cooked into it.  The tamale lady would stop by my place last because she knew I would buy whatever she still had. In Mulege the fellow who opened at night to sell tacos asada by the tope knew he had me on the line.  I'd get four.  Then the overwhelming deliciousness would cause me to down another four.  Never, ever did I have a better taco asada.  The only bad meal I ever had was in Ensenada where I got a bowl of pozole.  The fellow who ran the stand thought he would have some fun with this guerro and unloaded all the pig parts too disgusting to mention into that bowl.  I always ate street food where the locals ate.  They can get sick just as easily as I can get sick.  If the street vendor was mobbed the food was not only really good it was also safe.  I had a really great huarache on the west coast.  But no one really clued me in to the fact that they will really clean you out.  I enjoyed Mulege more that Ajijic and came home because I was a stranger in a strange land.

As regards the M8/M8.2 I suppose you are right about the filter and not using it.  You have the actual experience.  My new, to me, M8.2 is currently languishing in customs.  I wish I were back in Mulege or Ajijic for giving that camera a workout.  Me gusta Mexico pero no soy Mexicano.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2016 at 1:30 PM, nilstgmd said:

Hi, these are my first shots with the M8, which is, in fact, my first range finder. I had a bit time experiment with it during my last trip to San Francisco. If you like it, please find more of those on my portfolio: http://meder.myportfolio.com/

c2f9d033688990.56b3bc92d6202.jpg551a8933688990.56b3bc92e61f1.jpg805ec533476891.56ac482e59d69.jpgfd80c033476891.56ac482e5b136.jpg

Leica M8 x Voigtländer Ultron 28mm F 2

The fireworks shot from Treasure Island is wonderful.  I've taken a few shots from that spot but none so nice as yours.  Tschűß

• Like 1

My friend and neighbor, Robert. Only the Shrine of the Bab has a nicer lawn.  M8 + Canon  35-f2.8

OK, took the new to me M8.2 out for a few photos.  The West Mooring Basin in town is always tasty for photos of the new, old, working, pleasure and idle boats.  I doubt this one will be sailing anymore,  She is "up on the hard" for good.  Image is "out of the camera" unedited.  The lens is the Voigtländer 35mm 1.4 Nokton II MC.

Edited by boojum
  • Like 5

We get lots of rain here.  What would cause a Californian to dress in a slicker and wellies affects the local folk not at all.  If you see someone with an umbrella you can be sure they are visiting.  We just get wet.  I lived in California so I know the rain response well.  So what does that have to do with this photo?  When it rains a lot chances are you are not out taking a long walk, working in the garden, doing repairs or much else.  But that does not mean the folks out here stop thinking.  I do not know for sure but I am willing to wager that these bikes were from the local PD's annual impounded bike sale.  And what better whimsical purpose than making a fence?  Little amusing things like this are sprinkled around the countryside.  I hope you can enjoy this one.

• Like 5

So, after Christmas just were does Santa go?  Well, first on the list is that trip down to a secluded beach in the Yucatan to relax, build up the tan and put away some cervezas.  Then he is off to his hidden pied-de-terre in Washington state.  He features classic old cars and is out for a spin here in one of his favorites, and old Chevy with one of those famous "hot water sixes" for an engine.  Mild cam and high compression pistons.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have been searching my archives lately and reminiscing over the cameras I have owned and used. The M8 was a fantastic camera (still is IMHO).

This was taken with the M8 and a 35mm lens, possibly the mkIII summicron.

• Like 12