Laney's Collector's Guide (2nd edn) - OOP & crazy prices

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was shocked to see the second edition Of The "Leica Collector's Guide" selling for over US $450 & up, second hand - I presume it's OOP

https://www.amazon.com/Leica-Collectors-Guide-Hove-Books/dp/1874707383/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=leica+collector's+guide&qid=1580192480&s=books&sr=1-2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dennis-Laney-LEICA-COLLECTORS-GUIDE-hardback-2nd-ed-Hove-Collectors-2004-VG/303079239805?epid=90106449&hash=item4690ee307d:g:PisAAOSwg~9ceAv8

I bought my copy new in September 2015 so it must have gone OOP only recently??

Who would pay that sort of money, maybe Rockwell's "Leica Man"

I'd say there will be a new edition coming in the near future - just hang on!!!

Just be patient! On the last photo exchanges one could buy photo books at ridiculously low prices.
Old photo collectors or already their heirs start clearing out the bookshelves.

Could you give more details on the "photo Exchange", mnutzer? My Fontenelle collection included quite a rich library and - at 85 - it is time I think to my heirs. I am not really interested in money, and mailing costs are unfortunately quite high (I am living my retirement in Portugal), but I'd like my beloved Leica books (some of them with author's friendly dedications) landing in good hands.

Thanks in advance.

vor einer Stunde schrieb Pecole:

Could you give more details on the "photo Exchange", mnutzer? My Fontenelle collection included quite a rich library and - at 85 - it is time I think to my heirs. I am not really interested in money, and mailing costs are unfortunately quite high (I am living my retirement in Portugal), but I'd like my beloved Leica books (some of them with author's friendly dedications) landing in good hands.

Thanks in advance.

@Pecole,

as for your specific case, I recommend contacting the Lindemanns antique photobook dealer in Stuttgart, Germany.
https://www.lindemanns.de/shop/photobookshop/start.php?sid=5e3001df60ec8&iproj=limainst&isprach=1&iquell=

Lindemann's bookstore, Werner Götze,
Tailfinger Str. 7, D-70567 Stuttgart
Phone: +49 711 71 76 82, Fax: +49 711 71 68 222, email:
https://www.lindemanns.de/shop/fotobuchhandlung/impressum.php?sid=5e3001df60ec8&iproj=limainst&isprach=0

Mr. Götze, who is personally known to me, might also buy interesting photo books.

The photo exchanges and photo article sales meetings, where I saw cheap antiquarian photo books, were the annual Leica photo exchange in Solms near Wetzlar and similar photo exchanges in Darmstadt, in Fellbach near Stuttgart and other towns in Germany.
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/303072-solmser-fotob%C3%B6rse-samstag-30-november-2019/
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/281887-sonntag-25-februar-fellbacher-fotob%C3%B6rse/

Perhaps you would be rid of your photo books faster than you would ever have thought, if you offered them here in the advertising section of the Leica User Forum.
Or even faster if you offer them in the German-speaking forum section with the special topic thread for photo articles that are given away and for which only a refund of the postage is expected sometimes.
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/266407-foto-zeugs-zu-verschenken/page/12/#comments

Good luck and many thanks for your very kind offer.

Edited by mnutzer

9 hours ago, romualdo said:

I'd say there will be a new edition coming in the near future - just hang on!!!

Dennis Laney passed away in 2010. Unless someone has undertaken the task of producing a new edition this is unlikely. Brain Bower and Nobby Clark did produce a new (8th) edition of the smaller Blue Book in 2012 after the earlier editions had been produced by Dennis. The 8th edition of the Blue Book has now been taken over by Red Dot Cameras, but it seems to be the same as the 2012 edition.

Laney's ' Leica Collector's Guide' is by far the most comprehensive book on the subject. Each of the major guides has its good points. Lager's guides have by far the best photos and van Hasbroeck's book attempts to describe all of the variants of the classic Leica lenses up to the date of publication. It is a pity that none of these guides are currently in print. A task for the Leica Archives/Museum if and when they are fully established?  

William

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you so much, mnutzer. I will follow your advice concerning Lindemanns (Mr Götze) and both the English and German editions of "our" Forum. I'll let you know the results, and if you let me have your e-mail address, I will send you a detailed list of my Leica library.

Leically (yet!) yours.

• Like 1

Postage from Portugal to Edinburgh (my Leica-user son lives there) is probably more reasonable than to North America, even after January 31 Brexit. In that case I would be interested in a few reference books, as will many Forum members. Then you know they go to good homes where they will be used and appreciated. :)

Hi,

I agree that they're expensive. Even very expensive I could say (I've seen it for 800-900 USD and even more). But we all know that the prices are driven by demand and the available samples. The same goes for other books or lists. It has has taken me a very long time to get the Hahne list (and I was lucky in terms of the price) but I'm afraid that those books drive high prices and only can go even higher.

Best regards,

Augusto

Although I don't think there will be a reprint and there are a finite number around, I wonder how many will be tempted to sell IF they are fetching the sort of figures mentioned. A sudden increase in number available will impact price I would expect. These are of course for sale prices and we do not know of anyone paying this - or do we?

When I got mine new (2nd Edition) I immediately put the dust jacket in a 'library sleeve', as I do with all books, and glad I did!

17 hours ago, pedaes said:

Although I don't think there will be a reprint and there are a finite number around, I wonder how many will be tempted to sell IF they are fetching the sort of figures mentioned. A sudden increase in number available will impact price I would expect. These are of course for sale prices and we do not know of anyone paying this - or do we?

When I got mine new (2nd Edition) I immediately put the dust jacket in a 'library sleeve', as I do with all books, and glad I did!

Keith, Laney's book is one of those 'cold dead hands' items for me. It is also a book I use several times every month. I paid about €60 for it and no matter what price it goes to it will not leave  my house. I paid much more to a fellow TLS member for my 3 volume Lager set and I bought my van Hasbroeck at normal retail from Red Dot Cameras. I have, since then, bought copies of books about Leica by Rogliatti, Sartorious and others, often for as little as a fiver a copy. The best bargain was a 1937/38 edition of The Leica Handbook by Morgan and Lester which I got for nothing as my local camera club was throwing it out. It contains an article on documentary photography by Roy Stryker of the FSA which includes Dorothea Lange's, then relatively recently taken, 'Migrant Mother' (not taken with a Leica) 'before it was famous'. It also includes a pencil drawing of that photo and others for a full page spread in a documentary article. The Lange photo was relatively small and in the bottom right hand corner. It is not a particularly valuable book, but was well worth the trouble of bringing it home.

William

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, willeica said:

Laney's book

I agree Laney is a must have and I won't be letting mine go. Good copies of Paul van Hasbroeck titles seem to be increasing in price at the moment. I am thinking of bringing the Lager volumes to TLS weekend in the hope Jim will sign them.

I recently sold a set of Eccleston 'Chromes' for just over £1k as didn't feel I could justify keeping them, but as always never sure if it was right thing to do. Not a useful reference book like Laney et al so didn't get looked at.

Another very valuable book for me, which is a definite keeper, is Puts last edition Compendium. Also have everything Lars has published and be interesting to see what happens with these over time (although I don't think any are yet sold out).

Cheers

Prices have been crazy on Amazon for maybe 2 years now - I was lucky to pick one up last year for £60, still a bit pricey for the condition. I suspect online trading fuels price inflation on out of print books (check out the mad amounts asked for the 9th edition of the Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings!), but I also wonder who actually purchases at these prices. The first edition of Laney is a lot cheaper, and still a very good book. Red Dot could probably make a killing on the 2nd edition if they bought the rights and reprinted, though I wonder why Steyning (who bought Hove) don't do it themselves if they are still a going concern. Meanwhile the Pocket Book is a decent, though obviously concise, guide to the film gear.

The Morgan and Lester books are great - I have a 50s edition with a really stellar list of contributors, including Alfred Eisenstaed, Ansel Adams on printing, Magnum co-founder Bill Vandivert, Arthur Rothstein (famous for his Oklahoma Dust Bowl work while at the FSA, later at Look) and Harold 'Doc' Edgerton on the topic he invented, electronic flash.

On 2/7/2020 at 9:01 AM, Anbaric said:

check out the mad amounts asked for the 9th edition of the Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings!

what's so special about the 9th edition (it was the last) - I bought them all (Vols 1 - 9) when they were originally published, starting round 1994

There are some added newer CD entries/reviews & some older ones have been removed but basically it is not that different from the previous edition

truly bizzare!!

15 hours ago, romualdo said:

what's so special about the 9th edition (it was the last) - I bought them all (Vols 1 - 9) when they were originally published, starting round 1994

There are some added newer CD entries/reviews & some older ones have been removed but basically it is not that different from the previous edition

truly bizzare!!

Madness, isn't it? I guess everyone imagines the last edition must be the best, and Penguin have replaced it with one of those 1000 (or rather 1001) best recordings books, like they did with the classical music guide. The replacements don't even try to be comprehensive, but that makes them much less useful references. I settled for the 6th edition of the Jazz guide when I bought it recently, mainly because it was under £10. They're all over a decade out of date at this point and, as you suggest, no edition has all the reviews.

9 minutes ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

I won a copy of Laney Leica Collector's Guide 2nd edition in a TLS AGM raffle.

Those listing the book at such very high prices on Ebay and Amazon have too high expectations.

I'm wondering if they've sold any copies? 

dunk 

Firstly, congratulations!

As to your question, I doubt it, they are chancers. Two sold copies of the 2nd Edition on E-bay went for £29.05 and £16.01.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Firstly, congratulations!

As to your question, I doubt it, they are chancers. Two sold copies of the 2nd Edition on E-bay went for £29.05 and £16.01.

My copy of Laney Leica Collector's Guide 2nd Edition was donated to TLS AGM raffle by Peter Loy :) 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1