Sealed Camera

hirohhhh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought Leica CL couple months ago that I didn't opened yet. For certain reasons it sits sealed in the box in my room, so I'm wondering can it grow fungus even if it's box sealed, aka never opened? I do not plan to open it anytime soon. I know, this is weird, but I have a reason. Just before I start seeing some mushrooms growing out of the box, I'd like to check if it's safe, or should I get a dehumidifier? It sits on the normal room temperature, humidity level is 65% (if I can trust my air quality monitor device).

Edited by hirohhhh

It is not a piece of cheese.

Fungus may develop in certain conditions, like 100% humidity and tropical temperatures, or high humidity and long storage in leather bags - think years. And even then, if it is on the camera, simply wipe it off. Only optical glass surfaces might be damaged. But if you are worried why don't you just take it out of its box and plastic bags?

As far as I am aware, there are some silicagel bags packed with the camera.

I was never worried about fungus until I stared reading about in on this and other forums, and people buying dehumidifiers for keeping the gear, so I became a little bit worried as I keep all my gear mostly in Pelican cases, including cameras and lenses.

Edited by hirohhhh

Anything above 50% humidity is considered a high humidity environment.  Since you plan to leave your CL in the box long term, to be on the safe side get one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQ75GW9/?coliid=I2N9USN92HP4FB&colid=3IYDRWLR6C3SK&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1 put your boxed CL in a plastic bag (like a kitchen size trash can liner) with the dehumidifier and use a nylon zip tie to close and seal the bag.  That should keep it safe from humidity and fungus.