What is version on leica sl2

Kamyar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey everyone. I buy new sl (2) . My sl2 is version ‘ROW’ . What’s different version ( EU, JP, US ) ?????

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

23 minutes ago, Kamyar said:

Hey everyone. I buy new sl (2) . My sl2 is version ‘ROW’ . What’s different version ( EU, JP, US ) ?????

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Maybe it denotes the different type of plug socket on the charger - i.e. 2-pin or 3-pin (U.K. and "ROW": Rest Of World)?

Edited by Sarnian
  • Like 1

ROW stands for ‘Resolution Optical Waver’. Leica have apparently fallen could of patent law with the new sensor in the SL2. Apparently they have infringed a patent filed in the EU but not in the US and are unable to sell the SL2 with the new sensor in the EU. As a get around fix they’ve created an alternate version with the new body and AF module but the old 24MP sensor. This is designated as ‘ROW’. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I bought a Sony RX 100 III a few months ago to take skiing.  It was a discounted grey market version.  When it arrived the camera menu was in Japanese, and I had to invest a couple of hours on the web deciphering where the change the language menu option was.  This may have something to do with it too, although it would not really explain the UK /US version, short of wanting to get the spelling of certain words right (or maybe the base scale for distances etc).   

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 2:43 AM, Stuart Richardson said:

Rest of World sounds right to me...I think Sarnian is probably right here...probably has to do with the charging plug or plugs they give you. 

Or don’t give you 😂

My SL2 from day after release in Australia did not include a plug to recharge it in Australia. It’s a very common figure eight configuration of course.

Somewhat related, I have noticed from this forum that the menu functionality from the firmware apparently has small differences from place to place. Or I am doing it wrong!

Not serious complaints of course and I am very pleased to have been able to get my camera with no waiting at all for stock.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/27/2020 at 10:34 AM, geetee1972 said:

ROW stands for ‘Resolution Optical Waver’. Leica have apparently fallen could of patent law with the new sensor in the SL2. Apparently they have infringed a patent filed in the EU but not in the US and are unable to sell the SL2 with the new sensor in the EU. As a get around fix they’ve created an alternate version with the new body and AF module but the old 24MP sensor. This is designated as ‘ROW’. 

Hello geetee1972,
I have been trying to find more info on this ROW - Resolution Optical Waver - besides your post. Could you please share any other reference.

I just received my Leica SL2 - which is 47 mega pixels - in the U.S from an online U.S seller, and I was surprised to find that my camera is labeled ROW. 

By chance I stopped by to see if I might get some info on the new M11 and saw this above (from ages ago!) I am so sorry I wrote this; it was a joke but reading it back so long after the fact I was left scratching my own head and thinking 'eh?' I can be too convincing sometimes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1