On Shooting The Three Monochrom Versions Over The Past 7+ Years

johnbuckley

51 minutes ago, M10Alpine said:

Very fair point! 

I absolutely agree that one can only judge once own work, and results. I just ventilated a concern. On the M10 I had it fires week it was out and everything I saw by other made me fell super exited about getting it early. This one less so and parting with 8300 is substantial. I have the Leica glass to use this M10M for sure so as you say I might be able to sell it if I'm unhappy. 

Any one else seen slightly out of focus results posted in various threads online? Or is this just me ? 

Let's see if I have one on Wednesday, I deserve one for sure given that I paid a 500 € deposit on Jan 7th and have been on the list since 2018. 

My first Leica M was the 246 - currently I have no Leica Monochrome. 

I downloaded some raw files to play around with that were just awful. Awful. Beyond awful, even. 

The files I am getting myself are spectacular. 

I’ve not had a monochrom before, but have used the M10 since it came out, and the M240 and M9. The M10 monochrom so far has impressed me more than anything else I have used. 

Plus this thing about using a monochrom camera changing the way you think is real, at least for me, and I was a real skeptic. There’s some giddy joy like when I used to go out loaded with a roll of Plus-x or Neopan 1600, both of which I really miss. 

This one’s a keeper. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, helged said:

Not a comparisons between the three Monochromes, but between the M10-twins (for those haven't seen it): https://leicarumors.com/2020/01/27/test-results-leica-m10-p-vs-leica-m10-monochrom-side-by-side-iso-comparison.aspx/

I think this is an abridged version of this thread:

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

To be fair to the M10M every pic I upload to this forum (even shot on film) is so downsized that it always looks crap lol so I’m guessing that is even more true with such a huge file. In the end I do feel I have to try it out and see for myself, especially given I only use lens from the 50s and 60s and all examples have been with asph/apo lens. If I like it, great...if I don’t I’ll sell it at no loss and just buy a M9M which is the best digital Leica ever (output wise)

It’s an important point. Files from the M10 Monochrom - and the SL2 for that matter. - render so badly here, it is like a negative ad. If we had here the resolution of even Instagram, one would see that the files aren’t muddy. They’re beautiful, or many are.

32 minutes ago, johnbuckley said:

It’s an important point. Files from the M10 Monochrom - and the SL2 for that matter. - render so badly here, it is like a negative ad. If we had here the resolution of even Instagram, one would see that the files aren’t muddy. They’re beautiful, or many are.

It's ironic that here in the Leica Forum the world's highest resolution B&W images are showcased in the worst possible way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ELAN said:

It's ironic that here in the Leica Forum the world's highest resolution B&W images are showcased in the worst possible way.

Phase One Achromatic (100Mp) has  "the world's highest resolution B&W images."

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Funny, many of the M9M and MM 246 pics render quite nicely here. 

For me, only my own prints... and time... tell the story. The love fest seems to have started within minutes here.  Confirmation bias can be as strong as GAS. 

Jeff

The situation reminds me when X1D and SL camera successors were launched. The people who got the upgraded model love it, the people who decided not to upgrade (yet) did not like it. Same with M10M. The lovefest started once people got their M10M.

The only important thing is that those who got M10M are happy with it, regardless if it is confirmation bias, GAS, or some carefully weighted rational decision ;-).

Edited by SrMi

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

The situation reminded when X1D and SL camera successors were launched. The people who got the upgraded model love it, the people who decided not to upgrade (yet) do not like it. Same with M10M. The lovefest started once people got their M10M.

The only important thing is that those who got M10M are happy with it, regardless if it is confirmation bias, GAS, or some carefully weighted rational decision ;-).

The M10M is my first Monochrom, so I have no frame of reference other than what you all have shared--thank you, by the way!  I'm pretty sure I would equally love either of the two previous versions had I elected to go that route (and saved a ton of $$ to boot), but I really wanted the M10-P form-factor...

Confirmation bias?  Yep!

GAS?  Of course!

Carefully-weighed rational decision?  Uhmmm...no.  Pure impulsive Leica passion.  But as others have more eloquently noted, there is just something about the communion between an artist (or craftsman, or enthusiast, or aspirant, etc) and his or her tools/instruments that belies rationality.  For me, among other hard-to-describe factors, it's the appreciation of a beautifully crafted precision instrument...

How would the rest of you describe the Leica pathos??  Perhaps that should be a separate thread--so sorry for the diversion.

- Scott

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, FHPdoc said:

The M10M is my first Monochrom, so I have no frame of reference other than what you all have shared--thank you, by the way!  I'm pretty sure I would equally love either of the two previous versions had I elected to go that route (and saved a ton of $$ to boot), but I really wanted the M10-P form-factor...

Confirmation bias?  Yep!

GAS?  Of course!

Carefully-weighed rational decision?  Uhmmm...no.  Pure impulsive Leica passion.  But as others have more eloquently noted, there is just something about the communion between an artist (or craftsman, or enthusiast, or aspirant, etc) and his or her tools/instruments that belies rationality.  For me, among other hard-to-describe factors, it's the appreciation of a beautifully crafted precision instrument...

How would the rest of you describe the Leica pathos??  Perhaps that should be a separate thread--so sorry for the diversion.

- Scott

Brilliant.  Well put.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Likaleica said:

Why not buy a fresh SD card at the dealer, make as many exposure as they will permit, take the card home and have a look.  

I did that in Rome today and I had my 50mm Corn APO with me and they kindly let me shoot a bit. I'm more interested now... Files are kind of flat, I think. In my humble opinion, I kind of like that this new camera is not trying to emulate film, I have film Leicas and thats different, this is a digital camera so results are obviously different. Will be an interesting journey. Thanks for the tip and advice. 

1 hour ago, M10Alpine said:

Files are kind of flat, I think. In my humble opinion, I kind of like that this new camera is not trying to emulate film, I have film Leicas and thats different, this is a digital

High dynamic range often yields flat out of camera (DNG) files.  As the contrast is rather linear at this stage, unlike characteristic film curves, it’s up to you to adjust to taste.  The ease and flexibility of adjustment is one of the key benefits of digital. The ‘poetry’, as it has been called, comes mostly from the photographer, not the camera... else we’d all be poets.

Jeff

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Likaleica said:

Brilliant.  Well put.

Thank you Tim.  I actually thought of you as I wrote this.  You're an artist with a pen and scalpel as well as a camera, and your great B&W work is partly to blame for my taking the M10M plunge.  I prize your book Aid and Comfort to the Enemy and thank you for your service in Iraq.  Can't wait to see how the M10M inspires you!

- Scott

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FHPdoc said:

Thank you Tim.  I actually thought of you as I wrote this.  You're an artist with a pen and scalpel as well as a camera, and your great B&W work is partly to blame for my taking the M10M plunge.  I prize your book Aid and Comfort to the Enemy and thank you for your service in Iraq.  Can't wait to see how the M10M inspires you!

- Scott

And you for your lifetime of service.  

I'm still holding my breath for the camera.  Hopefully, any day now.  I've been banking used gear with my dealer for a couple of years and have cleared out the credit card for any residual.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To the issue of flat looking files coming out of the camera: yes, that's been a hallmark of the Monochrom in each version. Ah, but how quickly those files come to life in post-processing, and the attitude they allow... Some significant amount of the pleasure of the Monochrom files has always come from how quickly and easily they come to life, even as they emerge from the camera "flat."

• Like 1