Sign in to follow this  
Artin

SL2 grip , what do you guys think

Advertisement (gone after registration)

mmmm ..... the bottom of the camera is dead flat with the metallic tripod bit probably a few tenths of a mm higher than the rubber bits which have 4 tiny nipples that look as if they make up the height difference plus hold the base less than a mm above 100% contact with whatever it is placed on. If you have more than that or the camera doesn't sit evenly on all 4 nipples then the camera base is the culprit. I have my doubts the issues is with the camera. If it's not the tightening  screw as I mentioned above then I'd suspect  the electrical contact pad on the grip is set too high ..... possibly because the screwed panels on the grip are not fixed in deep enough. It may just be a simple poor assembly issue.

either way, you need a replacement ..... unless you are gung-ho with a screwdriver and fancy a bit of dismantling. I'd probably do the latter ...... and live to regret it, as I have done a number of times in the past. 

I will wait until I check with another body either from the local dealer when they get one or a fellow SL2 owner in town 

The bottom plate of the SL2 is (should be) flush by the 1/10th of millimeter, there is no big or small part of rubber at a different thickness or level...

On 1/29/2020 at 11:12 PM, Artin said:

this is what I am getting with may grip tightened as much as I can , you tell me if this is good enough  

Good grief....that’s terrible.  Even though mine has some flex and wriggle, I can’t slide a coin between the grip & the body.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If that rubber piece on your camera body is proud of the camera bottom, and if that rubber piece is relatively thin, then maybe when they assembled the body they mistakenly applied two pieces of rubber, that are now sandwiched together. If confirmed so, then the top rubber piece need only to be removed. I’d hope it’s that simple. 

Edited by ontick

I am not going to attempt anything now I will look into it later