Sign in to follow this  
Artin

SL2 grip , what do you guys think

Advertisement (gone after registration)

this is what I am getting with may grip tightened as much as I can , you tell me if this is good enough  

My old SL1 grip was a tight seamless fit with no wobble.

Presumably you have removed any extraneous rubber/bits/plugs etc. so either means the tripod hole screw is bottoming out before the grip is tight on the body .... or the connector plug is sitting too high ..... or any locating pegs are too long.

If it's the screw, 5 minutes with a file should fix it, but then you void the warranty. I suspect it has to be, otherwise there would be no wobble.

Stabl produced and sold a whole batch of L plates for the S1R when they clearly had not tried the finished production model on the camera. They didn't fit and you couldn't get the battery door open. I suspect this is a similar problem.

This is my take on this .. the rubber under the camera.. which is not removable is sitting on to the grip which gives you that gap that we see, the thumb wheel to thirteen the grip is small so not enough leverage to pull it tight. The way it should have been designed and manufactured is wrong. That grip and the camera should have made metal contact , RE the perimeter of the grip should have a raised lip to seat directly on the perimeter of the Body away from the rubber. 

I want to know if anyone that has a grip on their camera can stick a Nickel in the gap  

29 minutes ago, snooper said:

Greetings,

The rubber is not supposed to go out of the way ? 

no the rubber under the camera is glued on 

Sorry I thought you were writing about the rubber piece over the contacts... I have no other rubber under my SL2 ??!!??

Edited by snooper

Either there is something in between that does not belong there (e.g. that little rubber piece that protects the cameras contacts or the other one that protects the grip contacts) or you may wanna exchange it. My SL2 grip sits snug tight perfect, while the SL 601 was a little bit shaky. Don‘t worry, if something is wrong, Leica is for sure taking care of. Btw I like the grip a lot!

Edited by frogfisher

vor 58 Minuten schrieb Artin:

no the rubber under the camera is glued on 

No it’s not. It’s just pretty tight

The large rubber pads under the camera are not meant to be removed l am not going to try and damage the camera.

28 minutes ago, snooper said:

Sorry I thought you were writing about the rubber piece over the contacts... I have no other rubber under my SL2 ??!!??

If you look close you will see large rubber pads on the bottom plate of the SL2

Just now, frogfisher said:

that should help demonstrate

I know the small cover comes off , now do you see that large pad all around? That is what I am talking about. Put your grip on and see if it has a give or is it solid with no movement 

I see, I meant the little rubber piece. It sits very tight, but you need to remove it before you screw on the grip. As said, my grip sits perfectly, no wobble at all even if I try hard

2 minutes ago, frogfisher said:

I see, I meant the little rubber piece. It sits very tight, but you need to remove it before you screw on the grip. As said, my grip sits perfectly, no wobble at all even if I try hard

Is the larger surrounding pad on you body inset , or is it proud of the base plate ?

and of course i did not mean to manipulate that „large rubber pad“, sorry if I was misunderstanding. Have you removed the two little  protective rubber/plastic pieces? One on the camera, the other one on the grip, both to protect the contacts.. Leica has designated a particular space on top of the grip to store both pieces, while the grip is attached

Edited by frogfisher

Froggy, this is not my first Rodeo . Yes I have removed the protective covers and placed them in their designated spots. I have checked this thing 9 ways to heaven either my camera body is defective...  ie.... the base plate rubber was not seated in deep enough. Or the bloody design is just plain old bullshit. Simple as that.

it is what it is hopefully they will correct it on the next generation.

Edited by Artin

vor 53 Minuten schrieb Artin:

Froggy, this is not my first Rodeo . Yes I have removed the protective covers and placed them in their designated spots. I have checked this thing 9 ways to heaven either my camera body is defective...  ie.... the base plate rubber was not seated in deep enough. Or the bloody design is just plain old bullshit. Simple as that.

it is what it is hopefully they will correct it on the next generation.

😅 got it. I was just trying to help, nevermind