Sign in to follow this  
Artin

SL2 grip , what do you guys think

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I picked my grip finally after 60 days, very well built solid battery door but when it comes to seating to the bottom of the SL2, it is not a seamless solid connection. You can actually wiggle it with your hand. Has anyone else noticed that this is not a solid  tight connection?

Edited by Artin

Yes, I have the same issues.  At least, my buttons and dials are working.  I don't mind the slight wriggle.....

With my SL and the older grip, my buttons and dials don't always work. 

Disappointed to read this, I was about to order a grip. The grip on my SL601 is a solid firm fit.

vor 14 Stunden schrieb michali:

Disappointed to read this, I was about to order a grip. The grip on my SL601 is a solid firm fit.

as far as I could see the new grip is about the same like the grip of SL 601

I never had the 601 grip, but this one does not have a solid connection. Another really silly issue is you have to have a battery in the body 

and with the battery lifespan? You are removing and reattaching it every day 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A grip is just a grip. It provides vertical format shooting especially portraits more ergonomically comfortable and holds an extra battery for longer battery life on a one day use (it has by far been sufficient for me).

A grip is essential when using very large lenses like 4-500 mm. And when knee deep in swamps and out on the field last thing you need is fiddling with your equipment.

Also I would be very nervous with the 90-280 hanging in front of the camera while I am holding it from the grip, it is not the most secure connection. 

I have had very few complaints about my SL2 but this one is bugging me 

I’ve had the grip on my SL in the last four years as it also allow me to apply the ‘S’ hand strap. I never had an issue. Now I do the same over my SL2. The SL2 grip feels a little less secure as there is one lock pin less than the SL grip. It makes the SL2 grip a little wobbly but nevertheless does not affect the function & attachment studdiness.

5 hours ago, m9photo said:

Damn, for that kind of $$ and it's not even tight? I'd return it.

The level of free play between the grip and body of the SL2 is no more than the lens attachment the mount of any interchangeable lens camera.

20 minutes ago, sillbeers15 said:

The level of free play between the grip and body of the SL2 is no more than the lens attachment the mount of any interchangeable lens camera.

Look it’s not a major issue, if this was any other brand I would not even bother to mention it or care. But having said that almost every other battery grip on the market is aprox. 1/4 of the price of this one , so perfection is expected. Look at the way the multifunction grip on the M240 fits on the body. It is perfect fit with zero gap and zero flex 

1 hour ago, Artin said:

Look it’s not a major issue, if this was any other brand I would not even bother to mention it or care. But having said that almost every other battery grip on the market is aprox. 1/4 of the price of this one , so perfection is expected. Look at the way the multifunction grip on the M240 fits on the body. It is perfect fit with zero gap and zero flex 

I had the M240 multifunctional grip. It holds no battery, no buttons and dials, only SCA connections and it is slim and light. The only time you touch the M240 grip is only on the handle. How can you make a rational compare in which you can grip the entire SL2 hand grip for vertical shooting. I’m sure your complain came with griping the whole grip against the entire weight of the camera plus lens? 
The price of a windscreen on your Jaguar cost 50 times more than a standard Toyota but it does not mean you get a windscreen with more superior quality. It simply is because the lower volume against the fixed cost of moulding to produce jacks up the cost per unit. Consider that same logic.

27 minutes ago, sillbeers15 said:

I had the M240 multifunctional grip. It holds no battery, no buttons and dials, only SCA connections and it is slim and light. The only time you touch the M240 grip is only on the handle. How can you make a rational compare in which you can grip the entire SL2 hand grip for vertical shooting. I’m sure your complain came with griping the whole grip against the entire weight of the camera plus lens? 
The price of a windscreen on your Jaguar cost 50 times more than a standard Toyota but it does not mean you get a windscreen with more superior quality. It simply is because the lower volume against the fixed cost of moulding to produce jacks up the cost per unit. Consider that same logic.

Actually the wind screen on my jaguar cost 4 times more then the Toyota , however I do get a superior windshield, it has electric defrost 

and a very nice fit and finish.. look I am just calling a spade .. spade. I love my SL2, in fact I love all my Leica M , R, and Sl gear. But this one grip was a few bricks shy of a full load that’s all. 

2 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

thats like less than 1mm...thats nothing

6 minutes ago, frame-it said:

thats like less than 1mm...thats nothing

It is nothing like the play on a lens mount, come on guys I have had a dozen or more cameras with grips or motor drives, I have not seen anything like this before it just does not seat in properly. A simple lunch bag let down 

1 minute ago, Artin said:

It is nothing like the play on a lens mount, come on guys I have had a dozen or more cameras with grips or motor drives, I have not seen anything like this before it just does not seat in properly. A simple lunch bag let down 

perhaps a defective grip ?

1 minute ago, frame-it said:

perhaps a defective grip ?

What could be defective in a grip ! .. it’s just bad design and Engeneering, there is only 1 pin instead of the 2 on the original SL and rim on the perimeter does not snug up to the camera body therefore sits on the rubber of the base of the body and flexes 

56 minutes ago, Artin said:

Actually the wind screen on my jaguar cost 4 times more then the Toyota , however I do get a superior windshield, it has electric defrost 

and a very nice fit and finish.. look I am just calling a spade .. spade. I love my SL2, in fact I love all my Leica M , R, and Sl gear. But this one grip was a few bricks shy of a full load that’s all. 

Btw,..a Toyota replacement windscreen cost like $70 in SG. Your Jag screen cost less than $300? 

@Artin Return it. Get another one, or at least try another one to see if its a systemic problem or if its just your copy... Also, don't let anyone talk you into thinking your being picky... Leica products are meant to be the pinnacle of German engineering and I doubt that comes with a little wiggle.