Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
setuporg

S 007 renders better than SL2

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After using both side by side for a while, I must say that almost every shot from the S is more interesting than those from SL2.  Sure you get great shots from SL2, and many beautifully defocused when using the SL Crons or the 0.95 M Noct.  But, almost every shot of people or near objects with the S is at least as beautiful or more, and the colors, atmosphere, acuity, energy are all subtly better.  OTOH, the SL2 shoots great video and its AF is much better for people or cats.  The tough conclusion is that one ought to keep both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Setuporg,   I agree with you.  IMO, the way the S renders color and lenses draw are certainly more interesting in their own right.  My clients like the S rendering versus the SL or SL II as they tell me the latter is more "in your face" as one client told me.  Most of my clients like the soft pastel hues the S renders.  I think it gets down to how one visualizes color.  Since I never shoot video, I can not comment on that aspect.  Right now, I keep all three systems; M, S and SL but have entertained the idea of using only the M and and S for my landscape work.  I will wait for the M10-R and see how that camera renders color before deciding.  The M10-M for B&W is superb.  Right now, due to creeping age limitations, I use the S for 0 - 5 miles of hiking, SL for 5 -15 miles and M for any challenging and long-distance or remote hiking.  With the S, I finally found a perfectly calibrated 30-90 S that takes care of most of my S work requirements.  But, in the end, it remains the content of the photograph that is most important.  r/ Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

  With the S, I finally found a perfectly calibrated 30-90 S 

So it is possible, then! Fingers crossed for mine! 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I beta tested the SL2 and on paper the SL lenses and all bells and whistles of SL2 might outperform the S system and the S lenses, the rendering of the S imho superior, more organic more cinematic feeling. The sensor size advantage of the S and pixel density, still has a major impact on way the images look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Milan_S,  Your post #6 is IMO, spot on.  r/ Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2020 at 1:03 AM, ZHNL said:

My color preference: S2/S006.>>SL2>>S007

Interesting. Having the S006 but not the S007, is it possible to describe the colour rendering difference? And yes, I love the S006 (at lowish ISO). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, helged said:

Interesting. Having the S006 but not the S007, is it possible to describe the colour rendering difference? And yes, I love the S006 (at lowish ISO). 

The S007 renders the skin tones a bit different and colours are a little more on the green side but I have become so used on them and the output is very nice still very organic compared to the SL2 colors and rendering. A combination I loved colors wise was the S CCD and Contax 80mm f2, very pastel like absolutely gorgeous if you are for example a wedding photographer 
Here a portrait with the S2 and 80mm f2 Contax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, helged said:

Interesting. Having the S006 but not the S007, is it possible to describe the colour rendering difference? And yes, I love the S006 (at lowish ISO). 

SL2(Panasonic S1 is also similar) have very nice red channel. So was S006/S2. They both much easy to get skin tone I like. 
 

S007’s file is too green/yellow to my like. Red is “muddy”. I usually spend more time with S007 file. SL2 and S1 almost always get nice starting point. I am sensitive to color and build a strong preference over the year. I don’t expect everyone agree with me. 
 

The DR and other benefits still make 007 a better S camera but for color, I just love S006 and think that make S camera special. And certainly 16 bit file will distance S to FF offer with both 006 and 007. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ZHNL said:

SL2(Panasonic S1 is also similar) have very nice red channel. So was S006/S2. They both much easy to get skin tone I like. 
 

S007’s file is too green/yellow to my like. Red is “muddy”. I usually spend more time with S007 file. SL2 and S1 almost always get nice starting point. I am sensitive to color and build a strong preference over the year. I don’t expect everyone agree with me. 
 

 

Maybe there’s a reason Toni Felsner (2018 interview with David Farkas) emphasized that the new color array in the S3 had an improved red channel, with better skin tones.

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Maybe there’s a reason Toni Felsner (2018 interview with David Farkas) emphasized that the new color array in the S3 had an improved red channel, with better skin tones.

Jeff

Ironically skin tone is the one area I tend to struggle most with the 007 as it has a distinct tendency to bloom in the red channel when rendering skin tones . I almost always have to greatly reduce the red and then desaturate in order to get the skin tone right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m curious about the colour science that went into the S3 too. Among other things. It’s late here, but maybe someone can open a new thread where we can post our questions. And maybe Andreas can make a list and ask someone at Leica if they could answer us when the camera is presented?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, peterv said:

I’m curious about the colour science that went into the S3 too. Among other things. It’s late here, but maybe someone can open a new thread where we can post our questions. And maybe Andreas can make a list and ask someone at Leica if they could answer us when the camera is presented?

Great idea, we can group our questions regarding the S3 and present them to mr Felsner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 4:29 PM, setuporg said:

After using both side by side for a while, I must say that almost every shot from the S is more interesting than those from SL2.  Sure you get great shots from SL2, and many beautifully defocused when using the SL Crons or the 0.95 M Noct.  But, almost every shot of people or near objects with the S is at least as beautiful or more, and the colors, atmosphere, acuity, energy are all subtly better.  OTOH, the SL2 shoots great video and its AF is much better for people or cats.  The tough conclusion is that one ought to keep both.

I have both the S007 and the SL2. I wouldn't say that the S007's photographs are "better." The renderings are a bit different, but it all depends on what you are looking to do. I wouldn't put one system over the other at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Agent M10 said:

The renderings are a bit different, but it all depends on what you are looking to do.

How would you characterise a typical S/SL job? For what type of work do you choose one over the other?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Milan_S said:

Great idea, we can group our questions regarding the S3 and present them to mr Felsner. 

Thanks, consider it done 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...