Fuji EF-X20 work with Leica Q2

27 minutes ago, John James said:

Does the EF-X20 flash work with Leica Q2? I am not able to get the flash to fire. Tooled around with various settings, but no luck. Appreciate some guidance. -JJ

No. Only Leica flashes work with Leica cameras. You can use other brand flashes on manual, though.

vor 46 Minuten schrieb Viv:

For reasons best known to themselves, Leica use a non-standard flash contacts layout.

AFAIK, Leica use the Panasonic / Olympus/Leica standard contacts layout and my Metz for Panasonic/Olympus works on my Q2, fires, but but no TTL

Leica just developed their own TTL protocol, so the flash will fire, but no TTL functions are working.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

It works! 

As you can see even Leica's own photographer Greg Williams uses it. 

Leica do not have any flash looks like that. its clearly the Fuji X20

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 9 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 24.1.2020 um 16:34 schrieb John James:

Does the EF-X20 flash work with Leica Q2? I am not able to get the flash to fire. Tooled around with various settings, but no luck. Appreciate some guidance. -JJ

You can actually use the flash in manual mode. To do so and get it to fire you need to switch the flash mode to „X“ at the bottom of its case next to the hotshoe mount.  
then the camera can trigger the flash. 
hope this helps. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Jkp
Typo & duplicate photo
  • Like 1

I have used this flash on the Q for several years.  Others have assured in a similar post on this forum that the flash will work on the Q2 as well.  As pointed out by other posters we are talking about manual mode only, not TTL.  Others have also pointed to a very good review by Bigheadtaco of the EF-X20 with the Q at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjkwhv-xc5k.  My settings follow.

Camera:  full manual; flash mode = ON; Flash sync = start of exposure; and mechanical shutter only.  Only the center contact is used, and you must be VERY sure that proper contact is being made.

EF-X20 flash unit:  X mode; use the manual settings on the top dial to adjust output, not the TTL auto settings.

• 1 month later...

Question for eriepa. 

I just bought the Fuji EF-X20. I've put everything on my Q to manual, flash is on, manual output on flash as well. I just could not get flash to fire when I press the shutter. Is the coupling between camera and flash in question? Please help.

• 1 month later...
Am 30.1.2021 um 11:43 schrieb jkfchan:

Question for eriepa. 

I just bought the Fuji EF-X20. I've put everything on my Q to manual, flash is on, manual output on flash as well. I just could not get flash to fire when I press the shutter. Is the coupling between camera and flash in question? Please help.

Maybe this video will help.

Maybe this video will help.

• 10 months later...