Sigma 20mm Art f1.4

Marac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sigma UK have very kindly offered to loan me this lens to review for the Leica L mount.

I will be running a few test shots and writing a very short review when used with the Leica CL & Leica T bodies.

Very excited about this as it will roughly equate to 30mm f1.8

Thanks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, wda said:

Did Sigma UK reveal details and availability  of other lenses in that series already announced for delivery in the UK?

Nope, but I can ask, they are usually very accurate with release dates etc, the 20mm art f1.4 has been around for a while I think but not in L mount. The 20mm is available right now to buy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wda said:

Thank you. I have no pressing need for a 20mm lens, but there was a macro lens which could be interesting. The only downside is the extra weight to cover full-frame sensors which is not needed on the CL

I have requested they send me the 70mm macro Art f2.8 lens also, I'll keep my fingers crossed, things I do know about this lens are...

Noisy AF

extending front element

No stabilisation 

slight vignetting at f2.8

Like all 'Art' lenses this is designed for full frame bodies so maybe the vignetting will not be present on a CL or crop sensor body, we shall see.

The lens is priced around £500 which I think is amazing considering the Leica offering is almost £2000 and does not have stabilisation either.

It is relatively light at 500g (that's £1 a gram) 

Edited by Marac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Marac said:

I have requested they send me the 70mm macro Art f2.8 lens also, I'll keep my fingers crossed, things I do know about this lens are...

Noisy AF

extending front element

No stabilisation 

slight vignetting at f2.8

Like all 'Art' lenses this is designed for full frame bodies so maybe the vignetting will not be present on a CL or crop sensor body, we shall see.

The lens is priced around £500 which I think is amazing considering the Leica offering is almost £2000 and does not have stabilisation either.

It is relatively light at 500g (that's £1 a gram) 

That is interesting. I look forward to reading your findings with it on the CL body.

So the lens arrived early this morning and upon opening it up the first thing I noticed is that is quite a large lump with a curved front element. This is a full frame lens 20mm at f1.4 & 0.25m closest focal point. I am testing it today on the Leica CL making it effectively 30mm f2.0. Obviously the physical focal length and f-stop do not change, the only physical change is the CL's sensor crop factor of 1.5x

The lens is very well made as you would expect from a Sigma Art lens, the focus ring is very smooth, it is a wire focus system but very nice with accurate focussing (manual focus) when manually focussing, it has an AF/MF switch at the side and when set to MF it automatically brings up the focus peaking and zoom focus, very nice. For the most part today I used the AF system and it works very well.

The lens would definitely balance better on a bigger full frame body, but saying that, it is not too bad on the CL, I found myself quite comfortably holding it by the lens in use.

The lens hood is fitted and non-removable to protect the bulbous front element, it comes with a push on lens cap similar to that of a fisheye lens.

I love the focal length on the CL (approx 30mm) and the fact that it focusses very close is also a big plus for me. With the button half pressed in AF mode you can still, keeping the button half pressed, use the MF override before final press and this will activate focus peaking. I find for very close up work you would be better using MF but that is only a personal preference.

The lens costs around £850 so slightly cheaper than the 23mm Summicron but it is twice the size because it is designed for the full frame camera body. It works flawlessly on the CL also. It remains at f1.4 no matter how close you focus unlike the 23 Cron that auto stops down from f2 to f2.8 as you approach it's minimal focus distance.

Sigma Art lenses have a very distinctive look and this remains the case with the L mount version, the roll off (bokeh) is wonderfully smooth.

CA is very well controlled with this lens on the CL and the vignetting issue on full frame is not present with the cropped CL sensor.

There is no battery drain error as with the early version of the Sigma 45mm contemporary lens (now fixed with a FW update) the 20mm f1.4 Art is an excellent lens that behaves itself properly when used with the Leica CL.

Sigma have also promised to let me have the 70mm macro Art lens when they come in stock, they are expecting them this week and I will start a new thread to review it there.

My final thoughts on the Sigma 20mm f1.4 Art lens for now is this, if you are looking for a lens similar to a 35mm summilux (full frame) at a reasonable price with decent IQ, fast AF, manual override and smooth bokeh then you should really give this lens a good look.

I am not a wealthy man but I would love to add this lens to my kit bag to replace the 23mm cron I had to sell last year, the cron is a lot smaller and lighter but lacks the bokeh this lens produces and does not focus as close. I like to get in close with wider lenses.

If anyone has any questions then please message me and I will try my best to answer them as best I can. I have the lens on loan until Feb 20th

The uploaded files are unedited apart from the cropped image 2 they were all shot at f1.4 and ISO 400-1600, they are only 120kb each to comply with the sites upload limitations, the bigger files look amazing.

This is the first day with the lens and I will update this thread with more photos and any other findings. Hopefully I can get out to give it a thorough test in the week. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Marac
Corrections.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

These are taken and edited on my phone so forgive the quality

• Like 2

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wda said:

Thank you. That speaks volumes. I fear the 70mm macro might have a similar weight/bulk penalty. I hope that is not so.

It may well have the same length but I very much doubt it will be as heavy or bulky simply due to the fact that it is not an f1.4 lens like this one is.

To be fair though, the 20mm is quite manageable but would be much better suited on the SL 

vor 57 Minuten schrieb wda:

Thank you. That speaks volumes. I fear the 70mm macro might have a similar weight/bulk penalty. I hope that is not so.

I have tried the Sigma 70 macro together with a Sony A 7 III. It is not very bulky, has excellent IQ and a fine bokeh. But I do not like the handling and the AF is weak as far as near distance photos and macros are concerned. And it has no internal focussing which means the lens becomes longer and longer in the macro distance,  Might be another story on the Leicas  with the AF- but I doubt. Better try before buying - if not yet available for the L bajonett, then perhaps with a Sony at your dealer. Maybe the this year  coming Panasonic 100 mm macro would be a better buy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeinzX said:

I have tried the Sigma 70 macro together with a Sony A 7 III. It is not very bulky, has excellent IQ and a fine bokeh. But I do not like the handling and the AF is weak as far as near distance photos and macros are concerned. And it has no internal focussing which means the lens becomes longer and longer in the macro distance,  Might be another story on the Leicas  with the AF- but I doubt. Better try before buying - if not yet available for the L bajonett, then perhaps with a Sony at your dealer. Maybe the this year  coming Panasonic 100 mm macro would be a better buy.

Thanks. I am not up to speed with Panasonic lenses for the CL. Must keep watching

That’s exactly why I’m using a CL and the TL lenses today rather than my Olympus E-M1Mark II and the three f2.8 zooms.

There’s definitely a size/speed price in either direction. With the CL I prefer the direction of the 11-23 and 55-135’s. The 35/1.4 TL is as big as I want to go in a prime, but the images definitely reflect the quality of the glass. Beautiful.

On 1/24/2020 at 12:46 PM, Marac said:

Sigma UK have very kindly offered to loan me this lens to review for the Leica L mount.

I will be running a few test shots and writing a very short review when used with the Leica CL & Leica T bodies.

Very excited about this as it will roughly equate to 30mm f1.8

Thanks

??? It will still be a 1.4 lens. The lens speed cannot change with the crop. 

• Like 1