Scratches on the display

analog-digital

Before trying that I recommend trying an old and very inexpensive remedy for hiding scratches, which is to get a fresh walnut out of its shell, cut it in half and gently rub the cut face onto the LCD screen and the oil in the nut will fill the notches (scratches) so they're not noticeable.  Disclaimer: while I have used this method for scratches on other surfaces I haven't used it on my M8's LCD screen (because it has no distracting scratches) so I recommend trying it at the edge first to make sure it's okay.

If it doesn't work satisfactorily for you at least you haven't spent a lot of money and will have half a walnut to chew while considering what to do next.

Pete.

Edited by farnz

2 hours ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

I've used that on wood Pete.  Never considered it for screens though...

I've used it on Mahogany scratches too, Graham, and it worked very well.  The reason I suggested it for the LCD is that I had some success on other scratched plastic so it might work here.  This will all depend on how close the index of refration of the walnut oil is to the index of refraction of the plastic in the LCD is of course.  Hence the 'suck it and see" approach.🙂

Pete.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 1:27 AM, mort linder said:

you might try just putting a on screen protector . it seemed to hide some minor scratches on the m8 i recently acquired .

That is actually the solution to the problem, if you use the foil type. The AcMaxx/Giotto type may not hide the  scratches completely.

On 1/23/2020 at 11:54 PM, analog-digital said:

Can you use a "polishing paste" to "polish away" the fine scratches on the display that arise over time?

If yes how?

No you cannot; the screen is coated and you will make it far worse.

• Thanks 1

Do not try to polish out scratches on an LCD screen. I have tried in (not on a Leica fortunately) and discovered quickly that the screen has a reflection reducing coating - just like lenses. If you remove that coating where the scratch is situated (and any rubbing will of course remove it) you need to remove it totally from all of the screen or you will find it makes the polished / scratches even more noticable. And you will compromise viewability in sunlight especially if you remove it from the entire screen. So - don't.

Buy a good quality stick on transparent screen protector. When I have been in your predicament (perhaps having bought a camera with some such scratches) I have found that these protectors cover the LCD screen in such a way that any scratch becomes wholly or nearly invisible. It is your best bet and is entirely reversible. All of which poresent good arguments for putting a protector on a screen before any mishaps have time to occur. 

Edited by peterm1_Leica

7 minutes ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

I never manage to fit screen protectors without having air bubbles showing!

A couple of spots of washing up liquid miked with water is your friend. Than a couple of smears on the screen will position the film and then squeeze out the liquid 

1 hour ago, pedaes said:

A couple of spots of washing up liquid miked with water is your friend. Than a couple of smears on the screen will position the film and then squeeze out the liquid 

I tend to use a spot of goop from one of those fast-drying handwashes because it allows you to push out the bubbles with an old credit card and then squish (a technical term) the protector around for a short time until its in position before the alcohol dries.

Pete.

1 hour ago, farnz said:

I tend to use a spot of goop from one of those fast-drying handwashes because it allows you to push out the bubbles with an old credit card and then squish (a technical term) the protector around for a short time until its in position before the alcohol dries.

Pete.

Yep, that’s the way to do it. I use such a minimal amount of water and wetting agent it is easy to mop up residue. Alcohol base sounds good if you have some about. 

• Thanks 1