Manual focussing tips

Siran

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Would anyone be willing to share some tips on focussing manual glass on the SL2?

What techniques do you use (Focus peaking, magification etc)? What is the most realiable and accurate for you?

I use focus peaking and magnification, but feel this is a little slow (or I am  just slow and need practice! :-p)

Edited by Siran

I am curious about this as well. I did use focus peaking when I tried the SL2 and that was mostly fine.

Curious though if the 47mp change anything. On my M I was always doing zone focussing and that was Ok, but did not think of that when I had the SL2 to play.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 2:29 PM, SonomaBear said:

I shoot M lenses on my SL (not SL2) and exclusively use the "joystick" press to activate magnification.

The same with me.  I use the joystick/magnification with my M and R glass (on my SL 1), but find the focus peaking a bit distracting and not always reliable.  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Another joystick user, and another that doesn't find focus peaking helpful or reliable on the SL2.  Also still have one of the front buttons enabled for magnification and sometimes use that too.  Wish someone would explain to me why I found MF so difficult and uncomfortable on the original SL which I passed on because my (smallish) hands just didn't seems to fit, maybe it is just the change to the grip.  As with all camera's it's something that gets easier the more you do it, though should say I'm only just over a week with the SL2 and it all feels so instinctive.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

One of the things I find a little frustrating is that when you zoom in and then press the shutter, there is a delay for the image to be taken as I have to press the shutter twice, one to zoom out and then one to take the photo. How do others find this? Are there workarounds?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

More than one technique, actually, depending on the situation.  When there is time, magnification is the way to go.  Virtually one hundred percent hit rate, but Slooowww.  If I need something quicker or if my subject is moving, then focus peaking and a small enough aperture to buy me a little leeway.  Not perfect but pretty good.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jared said:

More than one technique, actually, depending on the situation.  When there is time, magnification is the way to go.  Virtually one hundred percent hit rate, but Slooowww.  If I need something quicker or if my subject is moving, then focus peaking and a small enough aperture to buy me a little leeway.  Not perfect but pretty good.

Thanks Jared. Do you find that the focus peaking sometimes stops working? I find that I have to turn it off and then on again to reactivate it. 

I find my with back button (joystick) set to autofocus via MF and then auto magnification by turning the lens focus ring to be just what I needed.

With magnification on the joystick, I found with the long lens like the 90-280 it was too big a jump from out of focus to magnification.

This setup is my favourite upgrade from the SL.

I point the lens, autofocus with the joystick and then zoom in magnification to fine tune with the lens focus ring, having place the magnification focus point with the joystick exactly where I want it.

Works like a charm and the number of pictures I have in correct focus has increased significantly over my old SL.  

Well done Leica.

2 hours ago, MarkinVan said:

I find my with back button (joystick) set to autofocus via MF and then auto magnification by turning the lens focus ring to be just what I needed.

With magnification on the joystick, I found with the long lens like the 90-280 it was too big a jump from out of focus to magnification.

I point the lens, autofocus with the joystick and then zoom in magnification to fine tune with the lens focus ring, having place the magnification focus point with the joystick exactly where I want it.

Works like a charm and the number of pictures I have in correct focus has increased significantly over my old SL.  

Well done Leica.

I do much the same with AF lenses, but I believe the OP was asking about MF lenses.

Which part of your technique didn’t work with the SL?  I used back button focus with it all the time, though I don’t happen to remember how I had the focus magnification setup.

13 hours ago, Jared said:

I do much the same with AF lenses, but I believe the OP was asking about MF lenses.

Which part of your technique didn’t work with the SL?  I used back button focus with it all the time, though I don’t happen to remember how I had the focus magnification setup.

On the SL magnification was only available by a long push on the lower left button.

Holding the 90-280 meant letting go of support at the front on the lens with the left hand to push the lower left button which would drop the front the lens and put SL in magnification mode but losing focus spot, then I have to cancel magnification refind the bird and try do it again. ok but many missed shots.

When I first got the SL2 I first assigned magnification to the lower front button but no need now with magnification activated by turn of lens focus ring.

As I said, works really well for me now.

16 hours ago, MarkinVan said:

Well done Leica.

I do the same.  And also set one of the front buttons to magnification as an option when manual focus tweaking isn’t needed.

Jeff