Leica Apo-Summicron-SL2.0/35mm - average performer?

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Donzo98 said:

This is on a Panasonic S1 body... @ F2, focus was on her lashes. At 1:1... it's INSANE

5 hours ago, Chaemono said:

...and a waste on 24 MPx.

Not really.  The unusual handling of OOF layers that his lens provides (as opposed to "butter-smooth blurring") shows through in the way the rest of the room and the piano top are presented.

• Like 1

Same view, one shot with S1R, the other with SL2.  Can you tell which is which?

P1022788 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

U1000956 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

click through to Flickr for the answer and 100% originals.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Another comparison pair

U1000940 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

P1022765 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Focus in both is on the edge of the red ball.

Here's another pair.  Order is random.

U1000944 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

P1022774 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And I only shot this one with one of the two cameras.  Which one?

U1000941 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

by the way -- I can't always tell without looking at the file number.

6 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I liked it better, too, but was that the cats, the exposure, or the camera?

😂 Well I guess it's not the same exposure. As a matter of fact I am under fire in another thread because I dared questioning the highlights (thus the DR) of the M10M. Agnostic question seen as pure blaspheme.. So I hoped your cat looking thru the window with burned highlights was NOT the SL2, my favorite camera so far, which would deliver some clipped highlight too, just like the M10M.. But once again I guess both shots are not equally exposed (same aperture at least..).

Edited by snooper

two cats:  I took those on the way out of the house, before I got the two bodies set up more or less the same.  The one with the grating burned away was only half a stop more exposed.  And probably both are overexposed since I let the highlights go when I shot, in order to see the cat in shadow.

rock wall: for those two shutter speeds, aperture, and ISO all different, but total exposure was the same for each one.

cactus: same aperture, different ISOs, but same total exposure.  The cameras are simply different.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Luca said:

I don't think this web resolution is enabling  anyone to see the real difference of these shots and therefore appreciate the sharpness and the quality of a lens.

well you can actually look at Scotts originals on flicker.

anyone seeing significant differences has clearly been abducted and extensively probed by aliens. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thighslapper said:

I'm glad the aliens missed you. 

Well they let me drive their UFO, so now I guess I'm one of them 😂

If you don't see any difference then pay the aliens a visit.. Of course, provided we have the same lens, same exposure, same time of same day, same cats and stones, etc.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The cameras have different base ISOs, so equal exposure may meed ISOs that differ by two stops and shutter speeds differing by two stops in the opposite direction.  Both quick cat snaps (cats are quick, well one of them is) are overexposed and post processed to differing extents.  I can go back and try harder to recover the missing window grating on the SL2 one.  I included them because I liked the poses in the second one.

So I am pulling you aliens' chains a bit -- these images were shot quickly and are not identical, although thanks to Auto-ISO and A mode, they are close on net, but in the sweet spots of the two cameras, which are not always the same.  And I have to post-process everything, mostly with shadow slider, to get their 12+ bits of range back down into an 8 bit jpeg.

Comparison tonight of S1R and SL2 with SL 50/2 at f11, ISO 100, 4 secs exposure. Only adjustments are to equalise colour balance, exposure/shadows/highlights. S1R tends to underexpose by 1/2 stop or so. These are at the new forum size 2480x2480px if clicked on .....

Edited by thighslapper