Leica Apo-Summicron-SL2.0/35mm - average performer?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One from the 75 APO SL while travelling n Romania.... Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Well.. No matter what DxO says, I like the SL-35 mounted on a SL2, at siesta time 😁 Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

SL2 and the 35 Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

3 hours ago, wizard said:

If you ever have a chance to meet him, you will understand that he is not the type of person who bloats statements just to make his company look good. Rather, he knows what he can do (and Leica lets him do a lot of things) and is proud of a result when there is a reason to be proud. Conversely, he would simply say nothing on the performance of a lens if that lenses' performance is subpar, as there is nobody within Leica forcing him to say anything on any given lens. Coming to think of it, he would most likely not want to have his name associated with any lens having subpar performance, and would therefore advocate against any such lens.

Sure. I think you took this a little too seriously.

Thanks Snooper for sharing the great gift of mixing sacred with profane ;)

46 minutes ago, Fedro said:

Thanks Snooper for sharing the great gift of mixing sacred with profane ;)

I won't be able to tell what is sacred and what is profane, even though I have a personal opinion on the matter 😁 

But need to confess I've got sacred stuff also with the SL-75, even with APO M-50, etc.. Unlike @benqui and @Louis, I'm not allowed to post 🙁  

Edited by snooper
7 hours ago, caissa said:

The pics here are nice, but resolution is terrible. No way to prove anything here.
I believe only numbers that can be repeated. DXO is not on my list of trustworthy websites, rather of BS websites. But this is only a personal opinion (based on many years of careful observation.)

How many lenses did they test ? On how many cameras ?  (And why not on the SL2 ?)    I would rather trust lensrentals. If they say that it is an average lens, then I would know that they tested a range of them and could present all these results. Not just a single one, which is always prone to hazard. (It's simply not scientifically correct to take a single sample, but dxo does a lot of errors of this type, without ever correcting themselves. Even typos tend to stay on their pages for years. Look at camera specs, they are often wrong in details.)

Personally again, if I would like a lens, then the results could be subterrestrially bad, I would simple not care.

2480 pixels wide not good enough for you?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35mm is not my preferred focal lengths. However, in case folks who bought the 35 cron SL are now getting nervous about not owning the best lens .... I might pic up one of those unwanted gems, like in the case of the 50 Lux SL. Bring them on 😎

Edited by Arrow

Well as far as I can see the overrall 'score' of 'goodness' depends entirely of the weighting of the 5 arbitrary parameters that DXO have chosen to assess lens quality by. 

A lens may be stonkingly sharp at f5.6 but crap at other apertures .... so quite how you score that as 'good' sharpness beats me. 

The whole point of the SL 35/2 is that it is almost optically perfect from f2 .... and is designed with the same high focal plane contrast and rapid drop off that show more pronounced subject modelling than other lenses not in the same SL stable. The MTF's are pretty well flat throughout. Colour rendition is perfect. AF is fast and accurate. It's built like a tank. 

I'd hesitate to say that any of DXO's test results are wrong ..... but their interpretation of what makes a 'good' lens seems to differ from the criteria Leica use. 

I know who I would rather believe. :rolleyes:

Edited by thighslapper
2 hours ago, thighslapper said:

Well as far as I can see the overrall 'score' of 'goodness' depends entirely of the weighting of the 5 arbitrary parameters that DXO have chosen to assess lens quality by. 

A lens may be stonkingly sharp at f5.6 but crap at other apertures .... so quite how you score that as 'good' sharpness beats me. 

The whole point of the SL 35/2 is that it is almost optically perfect from f2 .... and is designed with the same high focal plane contrast and rapid drop off that show more pronounced subject modelling than other lenses not in the same SL stable. The MTF's are pretty well flat throughout. Colour rendition is perfect. AF is fast and accurate. It's built like a tank. 

I'd hesitate to say that any of DXO's test results are wrong ..... but their interpretation of what makes a 'good' lens seems to differ from the criteria Leica use. 

I know who I would rather believe. :rolleyes:

Well for a lot of landscape photographers, performance in the F2-F4 range doesn't really add much to their photography.

Even if the 35SL has the best wide-open performance on the planet, if it's performance in the F5.6-F8 range is good to average, it doesn't warrant the high price tag for folks that always shoot in that range. 

It's good to have different interpretations and criteria by independent testers.

1 minute ago, Mr.Q said:

Well for a lot of landscape photographers, performance in the F2-F4 range doesn't really add much to their photography.

Even if the 35SL has the best wide-open performance on the planet, if it's performance in the F5.6-F8 range is good to average, it doesn't warrant the high price tag for folks that always shoot in that range. 

It's good to have different interpretations and criteria by independent testers.

And that is where the 16-35 comes into play. A fantastic performer for the landscape photographer

Just now, jplomley said:

And that is where the 16-35 comes into play. A fantastic performer for the landscape photographer

That's for a different discussion though. Me personally, I'm sticking with my 35 FLE for travel/low light and 24-90 for landscapes. The 35 SL no longer appeals to me.

Half my travels in Romania last year were met with heavy rain and just miserable weather. At the time I had my SL with L75 APO and a pair of M10's which never came out of the Billingham when the weather was that bad. My 35 FLE was just dead weight under those conditions. Had the 35 APO been available at the time, this and the 75 would have been the workhorses for that 3 week trip throughout the country. 16-35 for street and travel, forget it, too heavy and too slow. Did not even bother taking it. Return trip will be with the SL + 35/75 APO's and one M10 with 21 SEM, 28 Cron v2 and 50 Lux Asph. Once the 21/2 APO comes out for the SL, the 21 SEM will be gone, simply too slow.

3 hours ago, Arrow said:

35mm is not my preferred focal lengths. However, in case folks who bought the 35 cron SL are now getting nervous about not owning the best lens .... I might pic up one of those unwanted gems, like in the case of the 50 Lux SL. Bring them on 😎

hmmmm,  its the best lens I've ever used and owned, so i'm not selling, no way :) 

just waiting on the 24 now 

Edited by hillavoider
3 hours ago, jplomley said:

Half my travels in Romania last year were met with heavy rain and just miserable weather. At the time I had my SL with L75 APO and a pair of M10's which never came out of the Billingham when the weather was that bad. My 35 FLE was just dead weight under those conditions. Had the 35 APO been available at the time, this and the 75 would have been the workhorses for that 3 week trip throughout the country. 16-35 for street and travel, forget it, too heavy and too slow. Did not even bother taking it. Return trip will be with the SL + 35/75 APO's and one M10 with 21 SEM, 28 Cron v2 and 50 Lux Asph. Once the 21/2 APO comes out for the SL, the 21 SEM will be gone, simply too slow.

In miserable weather, I prefer zooms. I'd rather not trouble myself swapping lenses out in the rain. Or I'd probably just take my Q2. Never had luck getting good photos in bad weather anyway.

9 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

Which only means that such an aggregate score is completely meaningless, and as DXO does not reveal their methods of scoring and criteria, the only place to put the final figure is the rubbish bin.

To quote Roger Cicala on this:

Well, if you assume internal consistency, that would be true. But really, it would be more like "we combine EPA gas mileage, 0-60 times, curb weight, luggage space, cornering ability, subjective attractiveness, and seat comfort as measured by our ideal ass size" and rate this car a 92, so it's the car you should buy. Even if it's valid, are many people really interested in that ideal combination of cornering ability and luggage space?

I have owned the SL 35 SC for about half a year.  It's fantastic.  You can find many of my shots on this forum, as they re hosted on Flickr the originals or slightly reduced originals are available.  I tend to use it between f/2 and f/4.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick