Leica Apo-Summicron-SL2.0/35mm - average performer?

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Normally I have found the lens tests of dxomark to be well carried out and trustworthy. However, the Apo-Summicron-SL 2.0/35 is not up there among the best:

https://www.dxomark.com/leica-apo-summicron-sl-35mm-f2-asph-lens-review/

A Sigma Art 1.4/35mm at 15 % of the cost receives a higher score. The Leica lens is tested on the Panasonic S1R. Can this make such a large difference?

Edited by Ivar B
spelling error

I have both the 75 APO and 35 APO SL lenses and they are both class leading. My 35 Lux FLE is easily beaten by the 35 APO in resolution, corner performance and bokeh at similar apertures. No complaints with the 35 APO at all. I really can’t see anywhere for performance improvements, unlike several of my M lenses. 

Sorry to be nasty, but the results I have seen here from that lens made with an SL or 2 made me wonder what the hype is about. I would not buy it for sure. It surely does not surpass the APO-Telyt 280/4.0 R.

Karbe also said in the above indicated interview that the MTF’s are not measured but calculated. That makes it perfectly possible that it is theoretically the best lens ever made and would not contradict the measurements of DxO in itself. Between theory and result lies a production process

Edited by otto.f

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

don't like Jono's

Well, I am not impressed indeed. Watch out, the first photo’s there are from the 75. Very nice and proper focus. The Chinese woman in the kitchen and the dog that follows: I get an itch in my eyes on where the focus exactly lies in these images. The second link: the dogs on a path in the wood with backlight: where is the focus then? And this is what I mostly have with this lens

Edited by otto.f

Looks like it was tested on the Panasonic body, which might explain the results...but I will add, I have used a lot of lenses and nothing I have used compares with the 35mm SL Summicron. Take the test with a grain of salt...unless you have tried the lens, don't make a judgement based on someone else's images.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, digitalfx said:

Looks like it was tested on the Panasonic body, which might explain the results...but I will add, I have used a lot of lenses and nothing I have used compares with the 35mm SL Summicron. Take the test with a grain of salt...unless you have tried the lens, don't make a judgement based on someone else's images.

Leica’s lenses are too expensive for that. Buy it and see where it starts or ends, come on

Just now, otto.f said:

Buy it and see where it starts or ends, come on

Im not sure what that means.

5 minutes ago, otto.f said:

The Chinese woman in the kitchen and the dog that follows: I get an itch in my eyes on where the focus exactly lies in these images. The second link: the dogs on a path in the wood with backlight: where is the focus then? And this is what I mostly have with this lens

Isn't this a subjective opinion based on a photographers decision? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

Im not sure what that means.

Most, if not all, lenses presented here, from Thambar, via Noctiluxes to APO Summicron 50 M can all be judged reasonably well by their images posted here. That would not be the case with with this 35 SL?

17 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

photographers decision?

With AF... Do you believe that?

I took pictures with the best cameras of several brands with their 35mm lenses over the past years. And I had my favorite with the 35lux for the M until I took my first pictures with the SL35. This lens is the best 35mm I ever had in my fingers. Sharpness and 3d pop is out of this world.

• Like 7

I shot a butterfly once with APO 35 Summicron-SL wide open and this lens resolved so much detail that the image left a screen burn-in on my laptop display.

Here's a less compressed JPEG of it:  https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-jBcNwJ/. WARNING! Open with caution. Can cause screen burn-in on less than 16 inch MacBook Pro displays. 😂

DNG download link here (😁https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g111061273-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=uXD8CA5jPtR3PDlJXsGaLr7fihWaRrmpOg6qZi_yXp4=

And the LUF image. Focus is on the nearest eye to the camera, obviously. 

SL2 + APO 35 Summicron-SL wide open

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO ISO 100 f/2 @1/125 sec.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, otto.f said:

Most, if not all, lenses presented here, from Thambar, via Noctiluxes to APO Summicron 50 M can all be judged reasonably well by their images posted here. That would not be the case with with this 35 SL?

With AF... Do you believe that?

RE: your first comment, obviously this is purely subjective. If you don't like the lens, I cant argue with that. 

RE: AF

Are we discussing the AF on the lens or the image quality?

Edited by jplomley
  • Like 7

S1, 35 SL @ F2, 1/30th, ISO 1000

• Like 2