Upcoming S3 maintains 4 button set-up

MarkinVan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

https://leicarumors.com/2020/01/20/new-leica-s3-medium-format-camera-pictures-and-technical-specifications.aspx/#more-63101

Still waiting on my fully paid for SL2 (30* days now) so I can't really comment on the new SL2 3 button layout but the 4 button layout on the new S3 looks pretty good.

• Like 2

+1

The 4 button layout has been excellent, so easy.  I was disappointed with the SL2 also, if my SL is a backup to the SL2 it requires different muscle memory.   Looking forward to seeing the images from the S3 and it makes me anxious to pass up all the good S lenses at bargain prices.  

Well, with all the other core models within  the Leica ecosystem rationalized to basically the same control interface, I wouldn’t be encouraged that the S is now positioned as an outlier, however nice the 4 button controls. 

As an aside, the 4 unlabeled button interface was established by Phase One, and only later adopted by Leica when the two companies had a working relationship. Good design ideas come from many places.

Jeff

• Like 1

Leica may have synced the interface across platforms, but it only looks right on the M. The CL is short of a button to facilitate back button focusing, and the SL was fine with the buttons it has. Forcing the same interface on cameras with different functionality doesn't always work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Leica may have synced the interface across platforms, but it only looks right on the M. The CL is short of a button to facilitate back button focusing, and the SL was fine with the buttons it has. Forcing the same interface on cameras with different functionality doesn't always work.

+1 (and particularly so for the missing back-focus button/possibility on the CL).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The S layout is the same because it's basically the exact same body as the S007 and it was announced well before this bizarre layout rationalisation drive Leica is currently on, started. A few manufacturers don't get that cameras with EVF's should have a few simple things that OVF cameras don't need.

The majority of functions should be accessable with the camera to the eye, especially the play button, ISO, aperture and shutter. This is why the 4 button system worked. We had four functions (short and long press) available from the two buttons on the right hand side. Plus the joystick. You could review images through the EVF without changing the way you hold the camera. Leica could have even done OK by putting the three buttons on the right side of the screen. All cameras are right handed. The buttons should be available to the right hand.

I'd also like to see the four way controllers on the Q2, CL and M changed to the SL joystick. Joysticks are better than buttons. Especially the SL one.

I blame Canon for taking away my aperture rings. They belong on lenses. It's weird that Panasonic, Fuji and Sony have lenses with aperture rings but the SL doesn't.

The M and CL would have worked really well with the SL layout. Too bad they went the other way.

Gordon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

The S layout is the same because it's basically the exact same body as the S007 and it was announced well before this bizarre layout rationalisation drive Leica is currently on, started. A few manufacturers don't get that cameras with EVF's should have a few simple things that OVF cameras don't need.

The majority of functions should be accessable with the camera to the eye, especially the play button, ISO, aperture and shutter. This is why the 4 button system worked. We had four functions (short and long press) available from the two buttons on the right hand side. Plus the joystick. You could review images through the EVF without changing the way you hold the camera. Leica could have even done OK by putting the three buttons on the right side of the screen. All cameras are right handed. The buttons should be available to the right hand.

I'd also like to see the four way controllers on the Q2, CL and M changed to the SL joystick. Joysticks are better than buttons. Especially the SL one.

I blame Canon for taking away my aperture rings. They belong on lenses. It's weird that Panasonic, Fuji and Sony have lenses with aperture rings but the SL doesn't.

The M and CL would have worked really well with the SL layout. Too bad they went the other way.

Gordon

Yes,  S3 did not only keep the four button but also fixed 921k dot LCD screen. (insert bitter smile here. ) 

8 hours ago, ZHNL said:

Yes,  S3 did not only keep the four button but also fixed 921k dot LCD screen. (insert bitter smile here. ) 

S3 = S007 on the outside, and mostly in the inside as well. This is ok-ish with me as long as it implies a reasonable price-tag (in Leica-land). We soon will know... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1