Lightroom 6 crashing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Think of the first year subscription as close to a wash

I know, I spent yesterday evening reading the threads on here about it, and many elsewhere, and I can see both sides. I can see that people feel let down having paid full price over the years, I can see they fear that Adobe will "own" their photo libraries but I can also see that LR is still probably the best out there and for the price of one fill of petrol (gas) - here in the UK - everything is taken care of.

Apple, Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Adobe etc are not our friends. We are their targets, victims if you wish. The rental of cloud real estate and 'revenue streams' are their goals. Governments cannot control these entities, so we , as consumers, have no chance. I have a CC subscription for Lightroom, just for convenience, and I use the Classic version of Lightroom. I don't use the clunky version of Photoshop included in my CC package and I still prefer an old stand alone version of Photoshop which will work on High Sierra. I may be eventually forced to upgrade High Sierra, which may play mayhem with some of my processing needs.

All of this was inevitable the day the first digital camera appeared. I still intend to use digital cameras, but, in the future, my main focus will be on film photography. I have signed up with a local darkroom studio to finally get the skills I need to do good film work. Besides, the old film cameras (some of mine go back a 100 years or more) are much nicer than any digital model and the whole process is much more fun. I am finding as I get into this that a lot of other people agree with me.

William

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Michael-IIIf said:

I know, I spent yesterday evening reading the threads on here about it, and many elsewhere, and I can see both sides. I can see that people feel let down having paid full price over the years, I can see they fear that Adobe will "own" their photo libraries but I can also see that LR is still probably the best out there and for the price of one fill of petrol (gas) - here in the UK - everything is taken care of.

As of now, with LR Classic, they don’t ‘own’ my library; it sits on my disks.  If and when Adobe mandates cloud storage, then I’ll probably move on.

Jeff

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael-IIIf said:

I am spending today doing 26,272 of these.

There is a Lightroom option to automatically save changes.   That said, I never used it.  Before importing my images into another editor I selected all and hit save then let the computer/Lightroom do its thing while I had lunch.  Prior to that I depended upon my once-a-week Lightroom catalog backups and/or macOS time machine backups in case of catalog corruption.

4 minutes ago, marchyman said:

selected all and hit save then let the computer/Lightroom do its thing while I had lunch

I considered that but feel the risk of LR and/or the Mac giving up half way through and leaving files in an uncertain state is too great. Both the Mac and its owner are not in the first flush of youth.

I'm doing command-A, command-S, year by year. It's been churning away in the background all day. Half way there now.

Of course my backup strategies see the files as changed and therefore requiring backing up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I use light room 5 and always did use it. I also tried out light room 6 but that did not work out for me as well. Stick to the 5 as there is no big difference between them. Adobe light room 6 has major bug issues including sudden crashing and it is very slow. Wait for the final update and use light room 5 instead for the time being.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mariah said:

Wait for the final update and use light room 5 instead for the time being.

Huh?  LR 6.14 was the last and final update, long ago. It worked without issue for me, but I switched to LR Classic to continue to receive all current features and updates.

Jeff

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2020 at 5:40 PM, Michael-IIIf said:

Fixed.

It seems the problem is High Sierra.

Adobe released V6.14 which fixes the problems but, although there are loads of discussions on forums explaining this, they all point to Adobe's download page which has since been removed. Adobe only provide downloads for current products, not legacy ones.

I had to find it on a Torrent site.

I won't post a link to a Torrent site here but if anyone comes across the same problem I will happily share via Dropbox the 6.14 patch, it's a 505MB file.

Meanwhile, phew, all my photos are back. Now I need to think of either migrating away from LR, or paying the extortionate CC ongoing charge.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've been experiencing problems almost from the get-go and am desperate for the 6.14 version. Does the offer stand to Dropbox it to me? You'd be a lifesaver!

Jo

On 1/22/2020 at 8:09 PM, Michael-IIIf said:

I considered that but feel the risk of LR and/or the Mac giving up half way through and leaving files in an uncertain state is too great. Both the Mac and its owner are not in the first flush of youth.

I'm doing command-A, command-S, year by year. It's been churning away in the background all day. Half way there now.

Of course my backup strategies see the files as changed and therefore requiring backing up.

My solution for the use of older software, is to keep a compatible computer running as long as possible. Hence I have retained a Windows XP laptop simply to use Nikon software with my film scanners; and Windows 7 for old legacy software including perpetual licence on Lightroom 6.  Is there any good reason why this principle cannot be applied to Apple hardware?

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 8:09 PM, Michael-IIIf said:

Both the Mac and its owner are not in the first flush of youth.

I put a new graphics card in my 2010 iMac and it has cured the crashing problem. Apparently a common problem.

So my old iMac is back to full health and I'm back enjoying LR 6.14 on High Sierra and I am so pleased to have it back after experimenting with all the obvious replacement candidates.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

There probably aren't many of us still running 6.14 but I thought I'd update this old thread again because it does shows up when you google 'LR6 crashing' and this might help someone.

My 6.14 started crashing again. 2010 iMac running OS10.13.5. I tried all the obvious fault-finding: removing preference files and various caches. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Eventually I found a post on a Windows forum about Adobe not renewing its facial recognition licence for LR6. I couldn't get it to launch to disable that preference.

The trick is to roll back your computer's date to before Nov 2020 and then LR6.14 will work again. I did a 300 file edit this way. It works but having the wrong date on your computer causes all sorts of confusion with other apps.

As an experiment I corrected the computer's date back to the current date with LR still running and it remained stable; it obviously checks for various licences and tokens on launch.

That would be one way of working; falsify the date, launch, then correct the date. But I went one step further and changed LR's preferences, switched off facial recognition and also switched of location services.

Now LR6.14 runs perfectly again, and the computer's date is correct.

Having just edited 300 files, it has convinced me I have to keep LR working and eventually I will have to upgrade to the subscription model. I've been using LR for so long that all the keyboard shortcuts and working methodology have become muscle reflexes for me. I've tried numerous alternatives, many kindly suggested on this forum, but I'm too much of an old dog to learn new tricks. LR just does the things I need.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Michael-IIIf said:

There probably aren't many of us still running 6.14 but I thought I'd update this old thread again because it does shows up when you google 'LR6 crashing' and this might help someone.

My 6.14 started crashing again. 2010 iMac running OS10.13.5. I tried all the obvious fault-finding: removing preference files and various caches. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Eventually I found a post on a Windows forum about Adobe not renewing its facial recognition licence for LR6. I couldn't get it to launch to disable that preference.

The trick is to roll back your computer's date to before Nov 2020 and then LR6.14 will work again. I did a 300 file edit this way. It works but having the wrong date on your computer causes all sorts of confusion with other apps.

As an experiment I corrected the computer's date back to the current date with LR still running and it remained stable; it obviously checks for various licences and tokens on launch.

That would be one way of working; falsify the date, launch, then correct the date. But I went one step further and changed LR's preferences, switched off facial recognition and also switched of location services.

Now LR6.14 runs perfectly again, and the computer's date is correct.

Having just edited 300 files, it has convinced me I have to keep LR working and eventually I will have to upgrade to the subscription model. I've been using LR for so long that all the keyboard shortcuts and working methodology have become muscle reflexes for me. I've tried numerous alternatives, many kindly suggested on this forum, but I'm too much of an old dog to learn new tricks. LR just does the things I need.

The current LR Classic is SO much better than LR6 that I wouldn’t waste any time making the switch.  My prints of old pics are noticeably better, with new and improved features and controls, particularly local editing capabilities, that make processing significantly more flexible and effective. And of course up to date camera and lens support.  Ten bucks a month for LR and Photoshop is a bargain for me.

Jeff

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeff S said:

The current LR Classic is SO much better than LR6 that I wouldn’t waste any time making the switch.

It's not the tenner a month I have a problem with but LR Classic won't run on OS10.13 and that is the latest OS my 2010 iMac will support.

I was hoping there would be new large screen iMacs released earlier this year but it looks like they are much further down the road so my ancient Mac will have to soldier on for another bit longer.

14 minutes ago, Michael-IIIf said:

It's not the tenner a month I have a problem with but LR Classic won't run on OS10.13 and that is the latest OS my 2010 iMac will support.

I was hoping there would be new large screen iMacs released earlier this year but it looks like they are much further down the road so my ancient Mac will have to soldier on for another bit longer.

Take a look here if you need to run newer versions of MacOS on older kit, http://dosdude1.com/software.html.  I use it to run Mojave on an old MacBook Air so that I can run the latest version of Lightroom mobile. It’s a bit slow but that’s down to only having 2 GB RAM, but it’s good enough for the odd occasion when I need it and it’s never been a problem.  Before I installed Mojave, I couldn’t even get the web version of Lightroom to run, but that also runs fine know.  It seems likely that the new larger screen iMac won’t be available until 2022 so might be a way to allow you to upgrade your software until then.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael-IIIf said:

I’m running LR on my 2009 Mac Pro, updated by FW to 2010, and with upgraded internals, still on Mojave. Soldiering on for now. I will always pair with a separate NEC (or Eizo) monitor.

Jeff

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 6:09 AM, frame-it said:

i would backup the original files and catalogs first..do u press cmd-S every time you're done with a raw file ? that way the settings are saved with the file or a xmp file..if you have the settings per file you can simply import the folder again into a fresh catalog

I think that only saves metadata, not development settings.