Lightroom 6 crashing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I wonder if the assembled wisdom of the forum has any advice to throw my way please.

iMac running 10.13.6, Lightroom 6 (build 1014445) will no longer run for me. When I try launching it, I get as far as "the last time you opening Lightroom it unexpectedly quit while reopening its windows. Do you want to try to open them again?" Regardless whether I choose 'reopen' or 'Don't reopen', it crashes.

I've tried the usual things. I've restarted the Mac; I've gone to ~/Library/Caches and deleted LR files; I've downloaded and installed a new copy using the original Setup.app (I can't find anywhere on Adobe's web site to download an installer, so I assume this is the only way to get an up to date copy); I've tried launching it from double-clicking the catalogue in case it was having trouble navigating to the catalogue. The application, the original files, and the catalogue all live on the same HD.

I could go back to using LR5 but it would mean losing a year's worth of processing unless there is an easy way to import a LR6 catalogue into LR5 - anyone know?

Any suggestions on how to cure a sick Lightroom?

you can try this :

Press and hold the Shift + Option + Delete keys., start lightroom, when it asks to reset click YES

OR

enable show hidden files, [ cmd+shift+>], find the com.adobe.lightroomxxxxx.plist and delete it

its in >

Lightroom Classic: /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist

Lightroom 6: /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Lightroom6.plist

11 minutes ago, Michael-IIIf said:

I might try the uninstaller and a new install. I wonder is the catalogue safe from being zapped by the uninstaller.

i would backup the original files and catalogs first..do u press cmd-S every time you're done with a raw file ? that way the settings are saved with the file or a xmp file..if you have the settings per file you can simply import the folder again into a fresh catalog

1 minute ago, frame-it said:

better do a full backup first

Thanks. I have Time Machine and Superduper backups to hand.

I've just tried double-clicking one of the Catalogue backups in case it is a corruption in the main Catalogue file  - but same result.

2 minutes ago, frame-it said:

one of the best ways to save all the hard work done on a raw file.

I assumed that hard work is being saved into the Catalogue file, hence why I have been careful to back it up whenever quitting LR, as well as my routing Mac backups.

36 minutes ago, Michael-IIIf said:

unless there is an easy way to import a LR6 catalogue into LR5

To answer my own question: a quick google suggests not. And trying to open the LR6 Catalogue from within LR5 just returns an error message saying 'the file is too new'.

the way i work is :

new catalog for each day of shooting, different catalogs for different cameras

as soon as im done with my adjustments for any image i press cmd-s, so the adjustment data is saved into the DNG [can always be reset later], or to an XMP side file

so now i dont care about the catalogs

never had any issues...and if i simply import the original folder into LR into a new catalog, all the settings are there

by the way i should add: i transfer all images from the sd cards to individual folders on the disk, per camera/lens/date and import into LR with "add photos to catalog without moving them"

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Michael-IIIf said:

Possibly. I moved to High Sierra not long ago.

A quick google unearths this https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-and-mac-os-high-sierra.html

It is worth searching for a recent thread of similar users finding frustration with Apple upgrades rendering their use of LR useless and subsequent quests for alternatives.. (unless you would be happy to revert to last compatible OS version on iMac.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, frame-it said:

the way i work is :

new catalog for each day of shooting, different catalogs for different cameras

I find this procedure most unusual. Most users have one catalogue and filter to find required images. For example, I have one folder for two years of images and can quickly find sub-sets of images using top filters. For subsequent ease of further processing, I save a selection into a 'Collection', sometimes a 'Smart Collection' when images are automatically added when they meet set criteria. It is just as easy to filter the entire collection.

Why do you need so many catalogues?

1 minute ago, wda said:

I find this procedure most unusual. Most users have one catalogue and filter to find required images. For example, I have one folder for two years of images and can quickly find sub-sets of images using top filters. For subsequent ease of further processing, I save a selection into a 'Collection', sometimes a 'Smart Collection' when images are automatically added when they meet set criteria. It is just as easy to filter the entire collection.

Why do you need so many catalogues?

i don't trust computers or software 😋..and ive never had any issues...and because i save the adjustments with the files oi dont care about catalogs..usually delete them after a year, as i dont import raw files into the catalogs anyway :)

• Like 1

Fixed.

It seems the problem is High Sierra.

Adobe released V6.14 which fixes the problems but, although there are loads of discussions on forums explaining this, they all point to Adobe's download page which has since been removed. Adobe only provide downloads for current products, not legacy ones.

I had to find it on a Torrent site.

I won't post a link to a Torrent site here but if anyone comes across the same problem I will happily share via Dropbox the 6.14 patch, it's a 505MB file.

Meanwhile, phew, all my photos are back. Now I need to think of either migrating away from LR, or paying the extortionate CC ongoing charge.

Thanks for all the replies.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Michael-IIIf said:

....or paying the extortionate CC ongoing charge.

Think of the first year subscription as close to a wash, as you would have had to pay for an upgrade to LR 7 anyway under the old scheme.  That will give you time to either appreciate all the added features (and new gear support) since LR6 or to consider alternatives.  LR Classic will maintain your familiar interface and doesn’t require cloud storage. Plus Photoshop is included for the same 10 bucks a month.

Jeff