New Leica Forum Image Sizes

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gerade eben schrieb thighslapper:

However the downsized Thread image is poorer in quality than the original 1024 px limits

Not exactly...

The old size was 1,280 px but the image was always displayed with max. 1,092 px as the forum layout doesn't provide more space.

And a 1092 px image displayed in original size has a better quality than 1,280 px image scaled down to 1,092.

Andreas

• Thanks 1

vor 20 Minuten schrieb Gibbo:

If you are posting the BBCode from flickr which size should you choose? I've been chosing one with the biggest side being 1024 up to now.

Stay with 1024 px or go for 2200 or more. Sizes in between will loose quality because of scaled display, double size will result in better quality on Retina displays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just tried to upload a photo at 2480px and 925kb - it did not appear so tried again. Am now informed I have exceeded the maximum and should delete attachments. I go to 'My Attachments' and there are two copies of the photo there, each shown as 1.21Mb!  Cannot delete them as each states "No locations to display. The content may not have been saved yet or may have been deleted."

Puzzled!

Since I am unable to imagine the effect of the 1092 vs 2480 and thread vs Lightbox I am doing this little test. Basis is a SL2 DNG converted in LR with similar settings as described above, in both cases size is limited to 1000K only difference is 1092 vs. 2480. First interesting observation: On my hard disk after LR export the 2480 file is slightly smaller (!) then the 1092 file.

1092px: 911kb

2480px: 894kb

So this is the 1092px file, as far as I understand optimized for thread view:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And now the 2480px version:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...not sure how anybody else spots the differences, but for my eyes (both on a Retina MacBook pro and iPad pro) the 1.092px version is (minimal) better (clear/sharpness) in the thread version (look at name of blue ship and "EDC" flag), but once clicking lightbox the 2480 version is definitely better. And now? 

Edited by hofo100
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, hofo100 said:

So this is the 1092px file, as far as I understand optimized for thread view:

Don't forget that whatever you upload, the browser itself will resize the image to fit in the defined space if this area is less than 1092px wide. 1092px is probably wide enough for most screen nowadays but on my 13-inch laptop, even when the window is fullscreen there is not enough space for the browser to display the thread image at 1092. Even the lightbox view is less than 1092px with the browser window in fullscreen mode.

I have "only" a 13" MacBook Pro, but with a 2560 px retina screen. 1092 px is only enough to fill about 50 % of my browser window (I always use fullscreen browsing). This means that all thread images are upscaled to almost 200 %.

Not until I view an image in the lightbox I can take advantage of the new and increased 2480 px resolution.

Edited by evikne

vor 29 Minuten schrieb ianman:

... 1092px is probably wide enough for most screen nowadays but on my 13-inch laptop, even when the window is fullscreen ....

I guess part of the issue (or viewing experience) depends on the screen and browser combination that we use. In my (Apple Retina) case I found the following interesting information from the Apple developpers site supporting Evikne's statement that Retina users only benefit from the 2480px in lightbox view. The 1092px are upscaled anyway in "thread view", regardless if the upload was originally 1092px or if the forum software has downscaled the 2480px to 1092px. Complex world....;)

"You may have noticed that images on your website aren’t as sharp as other elements when viewed on a Retina display. The text on your site might look crisp, but the images aren’t as sharp as you would like them to be. Since a Retina display contains four times the amount of pixels compared to a non-Retina display, Safari automatically enlarges the width and height of all HTML elements by a factor of two. Text and form elements maintain high definition, but images look subpar because they lack sufficient image data."

Edited by hofo100
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 6:40 PM, _Michael said:

Great reference here. I use many custom output presets. The only one I  might suggest people consider is the "Don't enlarge" option. Most of the time this isn't an issue, but I'm not a fan of the way LR enlarges images. For me, I always have this options selected. 

Why do you not like the way LR enlarge images? I think LR uses the same Bicubic Smoother that PS uses. PS have the option to use Preserve Details, but it is a lot of extra work going into PS just for a little bit improvement. At least that is how I remember my own tests.

Am 22.1.2020 um 19:09 schrieb hofo100:

...not sure how anybody else spots the differences, but for my eyes (both on a Retina MacBook pro and iPad pro) the 1.092px version is (minimal) better (clear/sharpness) in the thread version (look at name of blue ship and "EDC" flag), but once clicking lightbox the 2480 version is definitely better. And now? 

This applies to a mobile device, too, when one pinches to zoom in.  It’s an issue.  I will post two files now, one 1.092px thread version and one 2480 version for those who want to click and view the lightbox image. 

On 1/22/2020 at 5:26 PM, Keith (M) said:

Just tried to upload a photo at 2480px and 925kb - it did not appear so tried again. Am now informed I have exceeded the maximum and should delete attachments. I go to 'My Attachments' and there are two copies of the photo there, each shown as 1.21Mb!  Cannot delete them as each states "No locations to display. The content may not have been saved yet or may have been deleted."

Puzzled!

Still running into the 'disappearing attachment' problem every time I try to upload a 2480px / 1Mb file.  Tried just now, exporting a file in LR Classic as 2480px, max size 1000k etc, upload to the site, click on preview, nothing.  Go to My Attachments and there it is with the same message.  Seems the only way I can upload 2480px / 1000k files is to upload them to Flickr then download a link for the full size file and paste the link in the post.  

Any ideas?

39 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

Any ideas?

Try to reduce the data size a bit more. It's possible that the forum software generates a new version of the 2480 px image which might be bigger than the original – the software is using a very high quality for the scaling...

Andreas

PS.: I have – completely unofficially – changed the file size limit a bit. Might work now...

• Thanks 1

I thought by sizing the export as 925k I would avoid running into problems but as per my first post, 925kb turned into 1.21Mb.  Acting on your suggestion I just (successfully!) uploaded a post after setting LR's export dialogue to 900k. Interestingly the file size info at the bottom of my post shows '1.17Mb' !

Thanks for the help, Andreas.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
On 1/28/2020 at 4:41 PM, Keith (M) said:

Still running into the 'disappearing attachment' problem every time I try to upload a 2480px / 1Mb file.  Tried just now, exporting a file in LR Classic as 2480px, max size 1000k etc, upload to the site, click on preview, nothing.  Go to My Attachments and there it is with the same message.  Seems the only way I can upload 2480px / 1000k files is to upload them to Flickr then download a link for the full size file and paste the link in the post.  

Any ideas?

When posting a second picture after a first post, or sometimes when changing a picture and really pushing the garbage can, still the buffer in the browser is not (always) cleared [MacOS/Safari]. When you get the message you stated, refresh the page. That helps by clearing the buffer. I have it set in LR at 1700, Monochrom pictures are almost never above 1100kB. Once in a while color dos hit 1600kB.