New Leica Forum Image Sizes

LUF Admin

Sample image

• Uploaded image is 3,000 px wide
  • Thread version is 1,092 px
  • Lightbox version is 2,480 px

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

So if I understand correctly, there is no limit for uploaded px size as long as the file size doesn't exceed 1000/2000 kB?

But I guess anything above 2480 px is unnecessary, because an image never will be viewed larger than this?

Gerade eben schrieb evikne:

So if I understand correctly, there is no limit for uploaded px size as long as the file size doesn't exceed 1000/2000 kB?

Basically yes.

There is an upload limit which is much higher. Please do not try – this takes a lot of disk space...

vor 1 Minute schrieb evikne:

But I guess anything above 2480 px is unnecessary, because an image never will be viewed larger than this?

Yes. 2480 is perfect as no scaling artifacts will occur.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Andreas.

Just a thought here... I have seen many posts about people asking how to reduce the weight of their files. Over the past few years I have been using a tool called JPEGMini (https://www.jpegmini.com/) for my work and my own photos before uploading here. It works really really well and I have often suggested it to users here. Maybe you could find some sort of deal with the seller to offer this tool to LUF users at a special price? I've seen similar offers you get from Capture One and others so I just thought I'd mention it. Of course, I have no connection whatsoever to JPEGMini other than just being a happy and extensive user for years.

• Like 3

For those who are using Lightroom Classic, here is my new Leica Forum export preset. It's very handy to have it easily available, and it should always ensure the best quality allowed (for standard members):

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can someone please explain how an uploaded image becomes a light box click to see rather than a thread displayed one?

I understand that the previous 1280 now needs to be 1092 now if I want to avoid scaling.

I guess that a 2480 causes a light box link and is not scaled?

what happens to pixel sizes between those two?

Edited by hoppyman

1 hour ago, evikne said:

For those who are using Lightroom Classic, here is my new Leica Forum export preset. It's very handy to have it easily available, and it should always ensure the best quality allowed (for standard members):

]

Since I have different settings in Lightroom for different uploads (instagram, LFI, etc) I also 1) choose a permanent directory that is in my pictures / LUF, and 2) create a filename other than the one from the camera that might be: DavidKnoble-LUF-1.jpeg.

Then it just exports the image to my LUF directory, where I can upload it, and the image has my name in it...

BTW @LUF Admin thanks for the increases!

• Like 1

Another posting thought:

if you use the Leica Fotos App, then you can also use an iOS app called Polarr (non-destructive) where you can resize the image before exporting it.  You can also add wateramarks if needed.  I use Leica Fotos to download an M10D image to my iPhone, open it in Polarr, add my watermark and then export it as 2080 pixels on the long side in My Photos,  for Instagram (@davidmatthewknoble).  That makes the whole process fast and mobile....

Added a screenshot from my iPhone here showing result from Polarr.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hoppyman said:

Can someone please explain how an uploaded image becomes a light box click to see rather than a thread displayed one?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Just click on the image and it will be displayed in lightbox mode.  I think that's what it is anyway.

• Like 1

I just edited my post, thanks. Specifically I would like to know how images between the two stated sizes are treated.  I would like to avoid scaling . I was using a preset to produce 1280.

does light box refer to using a link to an external location rather than the upload in my post ?

Edited by hoppyman

4 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

Small New Year present for the Leica Forum community:

I just changed the file size limits and images dimensions for the forum - most of them were significantly enlarged:

Enjoy!

Andreas

This is an excellent development Andreas, my compliments to you and the LUF team!

1 hour ago, evikne said:

Great reference here. I use many custom output presets. The only one I  might suggest people consider is the "Don't enlarge" option. Most of the time this isn't an issue, but I'm not a fan of the way LR enlarges images. For me, I always have this options selected. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hoppyman said:

I just edited my post, thanks. Specifically I would like to know how images between the two stated sizes are treated.  I would like to avoid scaling . I was using a preset to produce 1280.

does light box refer to using a link to an external location rather than the upload in my post ?

It would seems that there are two files. The image Andreas sent is using:

https://s3h5x8b3.stackpathcdn.com/uploads/monthly_2020_01/3000px.thumb.jpg.ebcda07a58271505651201080c1fbdba.jpg for the thread and 

https://s3h5x8b3.stackpathcdn.com/uploads/monthly_2020_01/3000px.jpg.10ee6f93aca335ee8e38614aa9e5d05a.jpg for the full size (note "thumb" in the first url)

• Like 1

vor 20 Minuten schrieb ianman:

It would seems that there are two files.

Exactly.

I tried to write this in my first opening post, now I have clarified it a bit:

• Uploaded images are resized to two different files
    • Thread display images have a maximum width (or height) of 1,092 px
    • Lightbox images (shown after click) will have 2,480 px
  • Like 2

Andreas ..... Thanks for this !

However it is a 'two edged sword' ......

The Lightbox click through 2480px image looks fantastic when uploaded at the full 2480px/2000kb resolution.

However the downsized Thread image if you use 2048px is poorer in quality (fuzzy and unsharp) than the original 1280 px limits..... :rolleyes:

Oh well, I suppose you can't have everything... !!  Maybe the resizing settings can be tweaked..... ?

I'd have thought 1024 for the Thread image would resize better being 50% of the original. 

I'll just have to suggest clicking on the image when I post anything. 

Edited by thighslapper

Test 2048 uploaded image

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2480 image

• Like 1