Your opinion about the Leica M10 Monochrom

Likaleica

Your opinion about the Leica M10 Monochrom  

379 members have voted

1. 1. What is your personal opinion of the Leica M10 Monochrome?

• Will definitely buy if / already ordered
    • I'm interested, but still waiting for more tests
    • I'm interested, but it's too expensive for me
    • Interesting camera, but not for my kind of photography
    • I'm not interested

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, _Olivier said:

Thank you, glad you enjoy my photos. The M10M seems to be my dream camera so it is a no brainer for me. I love the look of the M9M files but, because 95% of the photos I make are candids (and usually quite close to the subject) the M9M's loud shutter is a big issue for me. Also, Jono's comment "My feeling is that the new camera is much less prone to blown highlights" is very encouraging, when shooting candids of people on the street setting the camera for a perfect exposure is not always feasible due to time constraints, so a camera that's a bit more forgiving (like the M10 is vs the M9M) will be nice for my use case. If the majority of the images I made were composed portraits, I'd never sell the M9M, but for my use the M10M will make sense, I think. 

Do you actually see a noticeable difference when the shutter hits in the M10 and M9M?

I don't have an M10, but I did shoot with a Leica Q for a while. The Leica Q shutter is pretty much like a Ricoh GR, you don't hear nothing. 
From my personal experience a shutter sound has never made anyone turn around or grabbed anyone attention, in fact I got my favourite candid shots off a Leica M8 (and trust me you can hear it when that camera fires!). In the end, I think it has a lot to do with the feeling a camera can give you, I really couldn't nail many candid with the Q.
You have a wonderful M10 for silent shutter and that M9M is acquiring that 'cult' status...
Just my thought.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb _Olivier:

Why? 

Both cameras you own are wonderful. The M9M ist unique, the M10 is the best digital M up to date delivering colour pictures. Your idea is to give up both cameras only to get a 40 MP b/w camera with a silent shutter, nothing more than that. But this is only my opinion and I was very spontaneous with my reaction, when I read about your idea. Maybe your idea is very spontaneous as well ....

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Wonzo said:

Both cameras you own are wonderful. The M9M ist unique, the M10 is the best digital M up to date delivering colour pictures. Your idea is to give up both cameras only to get a 40 MP b/w camera with a silent shutter, nothing more than that. But this is only my opinion and I was very spontaneous with my reaction, when I read about your idea. Maybe your idea is very spontaneous as well ....

I explained my thought process for my decision in a post above. Did you read that post? 

M9M output is magical, but it has drawbacks when you shoot fast, candid street photography. The main drawbacks for me are the relatively loud shutter and the somewhat unforgiving need to nail exposure. Both of these seem to be addressed by the M10M. As for the M10 delivering colour pictures - if you look at my web site and / or Instagram feed you will see that this means nothing to me.

My decision wad not made spontaneously, I thought about it long and hard. (Hence waiting until yesterday to preorder). I came to the conclusion that selling the M9M and M10 to fund this makes sense for ME. It might not make sense to someone else based on their individual shooting style and needs. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

Do you actually see a noticeable difference when the shutter hits in the M10 and M9M?

I don't have an M10, but I did shoot with a Leica Q for a while. The Leica Q shutter is pretty much like a Ricoh GR, you don't hear nothing. 
From my personal experience a shutter sound has never made anyone turn around or grabbed anyone attention, in fact I got my favourite candid shots off a Leica M8 (and trust me you can hear it when that camera fires!). In the end, I think it has a lot to do with the feeling a camera can give you, I really couldn't nail many candid with the Q.
You have a wonderful M10 for silent shutter and that M9M is acquiring that 'cult' status...
Just my thought.

To me there's a significant difference in shutter sounds between M9M, M10, and M10-P. I also own the Q and use it almost exclusively in quiet places were a nearly silent shutter is required (example, in quiet Tokyo subway cars where I shoot candids of passengers sitting a few feet away from me - https://www.olivierdesmet.com/tokyo-transit). I'd love to use an M when I shoot in these quiet places (I prefer IQ of M glass over Q) but I know it would lead to uncomfortable situations. 

Plenty of people I've made photographs of on the street have heard the shutter and then noticed I made an image. Both with the M9M and the M10. 

16 minutes ago, _Olivier said:

The main drawbacks for me are the relatively loud shutter and the somewhat unforgiving need to nail exposure. Both of these seem to be addressed by the M10M. 

I personally wouldn’t make any judgment about exposure latitude or IQ without making my own pics and prints... via demo  or rental. For me, all digital cameras exhibit steeper highlight roll off than in film days; the ‘magic’ in the highlights can prove elusive in terms of subtle tonal gradation. But that’s a different issue than ensuring highlights are not blown.  This is problematic with any Monochrom, including the new one, as there is no possibility for highlight recovery through one or more color channels in post (as one can sometimes do using a traditional color based sensor).  The Monochroms act more like color slide film in that regard. I find the files in the original Monochrom very malleable otherwise.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Sorry, Olivier, I didnˋt read your other post. Now I understand your thoughts somewhat better. But the M10M isnˋt a fast camera, as far as I read reports from beta testers. But as you have already preordered, you will soon experience itˋs qualities by yourself. Hope youˋll have much fun with your new camera !

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I personally wouldn’t make any judgment about exposure latitude or IQ without making my own pics and prints... via demo  or rental.

That's of course a great idea, and I plan on visiting my local Leica shop to make some sample images. Since I didn't get on the wait list until yesterday I assume I am several weeks to months away from being able to purchase, so plenty of time to get my hands on a demo unit. 

1 minute ago, Wonzo said:

Sorry, Olivier, I didnˋt read your other post. Now I understand your thoughts somewhat better. But the M10M isnˋt a fast camera, as far as I read reports from beta testers. But as you have already preordered, you will soon experience itˋs qualities by yourself. Hope youˋll have much fun with your new camera !

Everything I've read seems to indicate that is is not noticeably slower than the M10, and I haven't had any issues with that camera. And thank you, I look forward to the M10M very much indeed. 

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Rather than the new Monochrom, I might be more inclined to pick up a used S007 and S70 Summarit, at bargain basement prices, and generate some wonderful b/w pics/prints while using that gorgeous OVF. It depends on priorities... form factor, ergonomics and handling, viewing and shooting experience, weather sealing, etc...and the final result... in print.

Jeff

Jeff,

Curious why a cmos sensor rather than the CCD of an S006, S-E or S2?  With the S prices, bodies and lenses so reasonable I am tempted to fill in the lens focal lengths I don't own, the 100mm would be nice but rare on the secondary market.

Several years ago I did see comparisons of the M9M, M240 and S006 B&W.  The M9M had beautiful tonal values, different from the color sensors of the other two, also very nice tonal values.  The M9M would be my choice, if I didn't see the comparison they all looked spectacular.  

1 hour ago, darylgo said:

Jeff,

Curious why a cmos sensor rather than the CCD of an S006, S-E or S2?  With the S prices, bodies and lenses so reasonable I am tempted to fill in the lens focal lengths I don't own, the 100mm would be nice but rare on the secondary market.

Several years ago I did see comparisons of the M9M, M240 and S006 B&W.  The M9M had beautiful tonal values, different from the color sensors of the other two, also very nice tonal values.  The M9M would be my choice, if I didn't see the comparison they all looked spectacular.  

I tried the S006 for a week , but found it limited for my handheld needs in other than good daylight (and the slow zoom made it worse). I’m not a frequent tripod user. The S007 would provide a broader shooting envelope, and b/w tones might still benefit from its larger sensor compared to my M9 Monochrom, which I didn’t own when I tested the S006.  But I’d have to try and compare for myself, especially since I don’t make monster size prints.  In any event, my near term focus will be learning my new SL2 kit, assuming I get the camera body at some point.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

3 hours ago, Wonzo said:

What a bad idea!

Not at all. If b&w photography is Olivier's passion, I think it was an excellent decision. I feel strongly that the new MM3 will yield the best b&w images of any camera out there today and likely for some time to come. What I've seen so far is nothing short of spectacular.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, fotografr said:

What I've seen so far is nothing short of spectacular.

Where in particular? Prints?  I haven’t seen anything online that wows me beyond pics from the MM1 or other gear.  Maybe I’m looking in the wrong places.

Jeff

6 hours ago, fotografr said:

Photography was my business and for that I had to shoot mostly color. Now that I'm retired I only have to shoot to please myself--not clients. I believe this camera will finally take me back to shooting nothing but b&w images, which is really where my passion lies.

+1

My M9M was my retirement present to myself. I just love that little bugger. And I love my little M10. It is close to a  perfect Leica. But maybe an upgrade is in order.

With the M10R on the horizon, however, the choice becomes harder. Being retired, I probably cannot afford both cameras.So I'll be pondering this one for some time to come.As long as my current Leicas continue to give such pleasing results, I'm in no rush.  

• Like 2

I already have mine. My first Monochrom. I really like it and will probably sell my M10 and M-P bodies as I tend to use my SL2 more for colour work. 

I wish the front button could be reprogrammed. I don’t need it for magnification. I’d rather be able to use it as a play back button so I don’t need to take my eye away from the EVF when I’m using it. Or maybe lens selection or drive mode when using the RF.

Gordon

35 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Where in particular? Prints?  I haven’t seen anything online that wows me beyond pics from the MM1 or other gear.  Maybe I’m looking in the wrong places.

Jeff

I agree.  It's hard to judge any image online after it has been reduced in size and compressed, which is why I wonder how people are deciding for or against the camera based on 2MB 72dpi images on (probably) a laptop screen.  I agree also that for a purchase of this magnitude (to most of us) it is worthwhile to at least spend a couple of hours with it at the store, if not rent when that becomes available.  But, if some folks have the luxury of getting it regardless, more power to them.  From my limited experience with the camera it will not disappoint and promises to delight.

• Like 1

On the other hand, I got on the wait list a couple of years ago and have been sending camera equipment to my dealer to build up a war chest and take some of the sting out of the eventual purchase.  Problem now is delivery.  I can hold my breath for only so long!