Lens hood problems, aftermarket solutions?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Of course, a lens hood also protects the lens from damage.
If you have put the camera around your neck can clink it where. For example, the lens hood can protect.
I was recently careless and it detached the lens from my M3. I reacted very quickly and was able to dampen the impact quite a bit with my foot.
Then the lens fell onto the street face to face. Without the lens hood, at least the thread of the lens would have been damaged.
The metal lens hood was bent ...
I even prefer rubber lens hoods.

9 hours ago, Reini said:

[...] Then the lens fell onto the street face to face. Without the lens hood, at least the thread of the lens would have been damaged. The metal lens hood was bent ...
I even prefer rubber lens hoods.

+1 or even plastic hoods as Leica used to sell for 35/2 v4 and 50/2 v4 lenses in the eighties. I used to prefer metal hoods in my youth but a couple crash tests helped me to see the light and i don't want children around be to be hurt by metal accessories. YMMV.

I generally don't drop cameras.  I've dropped a camera once in my entire life (over 55 years. Is that enough? 😎), and the flash was destroyed instead. I guess I've been lucky and try to pay attention. I've never considered cameras or lenses as disposable, but don't coddle them either. And I need to emphasize, It's not like I don't understand personal work flow and how people use their equipment differently. Lens hoods have the added benefit of being a bumper, but most could really care less. To a certain degree, lens hoods are a badge of professionalism that people like to display to legitimize themselves. And encouraged by manufacturers. . .