insideline

51 minutes ago, tgray said:

That’s always been my favorite camera strap. The dumb Leica generic one. I do have a thin Peak strap that I like on my A7, but the Leica one is a bit better. 

I was the OP who inquired which strap came with the new M10M, and mine arrived last night and oh my this has to be the poorest example of a leather (?) strap I have seen. I don't think it is even leather, the rings seem suspect, the protection pieces behind the rings to keep the body from being marked by the strap are very crummy in material and size etc. This strap will stay in the box and a new Angelo Pello braided strap is already on the camera. Really Leica for $8300 you include a $2.00 strap? 

• Haha 2

+1

wasted hundreds of pounds on so called revolutionary straps until I tried 14312.  Easy to fit/ yet secure.  Doesn’t mark the body. Very light but strong.  Adjustable.  

I have a few spare but don’t expect to be needing them.

get one while you can.  Leica are unlikely to keep offering them. There’s not enough profit in them to make supply worthwhile.  Hence the two for one offer available now.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

46 minutes ago, lucerne said:

+1

wasted hundreds of pounds on so called revolutionary straps until I tried 14312.  Easy to fit/ yet secure.  Doesn’t mark the body. Very light but strong.  Adjustable.  

I have a few spare but don’t expect to be needing them.

get one while you can.  Leica are unlikely to keep offering them. There’s not enough profit in them to make supply worthwhile.  Hence the two for one offer available now.

Personally I will not use the #14312 strap as the new M10M body does not have the plastic protection lugs on the body so if one uses the 14312 strap the plastic holders which keep the rings in place will quickly mark up the somewhat soft finish on the M10M. Yes, great strap, strong and the way the split rings are secured with the plastic keepers makes for a reliable camera strap, but if you wish to keep your M10M finish intact I would look elsewhere. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, insideline said:

Personally I will not use the #14312 strap as the new M10M body does not have the plastic protection lugs on the body so if one uses the 14312 strap the plastic holders which keep the rings in place will quickly mark up the somewhat soft finish on the M10M. Yes, great strap, strong and the way the split rings are secured with the plastic keepers makes for a reliable camera strap, but if you wish to keep your M10M finish intact I would look elsewhere. 

Absolutely no marks on my silver M10 after two years.  The black body may be susceptible, but even that is doubtful as the finish on black M bodies is pretty tough.  I don’t recognise your assertion of a “soft finish “.   A leather case would add protection. The plastic keepers never come into contact with the body. .

Interestingly, the paint surface on the black leica Q is different .   It marks very easily.

Edited by lucerne

I have Mac Jackson's McMurray & Blonde straps on all my Ms (M3, M10, M10M)--simple yet solid and stylish.  Pick the leather and stitching of your choice, and he follows up personally to confirm before making it from scratch.  Check him out at https://www.mcmurrayandblonde.com/ .

Here's the one I've used (in both black and brown).  The leather fold/attachment around the ring is thick enough to prevent metal-on-metal damage to the camera body.

https://www.mcmurrayandblonde.com/collections/camera-straps/products/leather-camera-strap-madison-st-stitched

- Scott

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FHPdoc said:

I have Mac Jackson's McMurray & Blonde straps on all my Ms (M3, M10, M10M)--simple yet solid and stylish.  Pick the leather and stitching of your choice, and he follows up personally to confirm before making it from scratch.  Check him out at https://www.mcmurrayandblonde.com/ .

Here's the one I've used (in both black and brown).  The leather fold/attachment around the ring is thick enough to prevent metal-on-metal damage to the camera body.

https://www.mcmurrayandblonde.com/collections/camera-straps/products/leather-camera-strap-madison-st-stitched

- Scott

I also use his strap on my M9-P and can highly recommend it. He was very patient with me going back n forth to make sure it was exactly to my liking. Simple and sleek yet functional and high quality. He also uses Horween Chromexcel Leather which is just excellent; also tanned in Chicago where Mac is based. Highly recommended.

Also as @FHPdoc mentioned the folded leather ends are thick enough where they never come in contact with the body.

Edited by a5m

2 hours ago, lucerne said:

Absolutely no marks on my silver M10 after two years.  The black body may be susceptible, but even that is doubtful as the finish on black M bodies is pretty tough.  I don’t recognise your assertion of a “soft finish “.   A leather case would add protection. The plastic keepers never come into contact with the body. .

Interestingly, the paint surface on the black leica Q is different .   It marks very easily.

It appears you do not own the M10P as this finish, black chrome, is quite different than your M10 silver anodized and with little use and with the standard strap it will and does mark the sides of the body. Just trying to point this out so that new owners don't get a rude awakening when their new body quickly gets marked up. If you don't care then all good. 

Edited by insideline
sp
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, insideline said:

Thank you very much for that warning. My M8 and M9 (that have the #14312 strap) both have plastic protection lugs, while M10M indeed does not. I will refrain from using the #14312 on M10M and look into straps with leather protection flaps at ends

Edited by SrMi

On 1/25/2020 at 1:52 PM, FHPdoc said:

- Scott

Thanks Scott!  That means a lot!

23 hours ago, a5m said:

I also use his strap on my M9-P and can highly recommend it. He was very patient with me going back n forth to make sure it was exactly to my liking. Simple and sleek yet functional and high quality. He also uses Horween Chromexcel Leather which is just excellent; also tanned in Chicago where Mac is based. Highly recommended.

Also as @FHPdoc mentioned the folded leather ends are thick enough where they never come in contact with the body.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to make a strap for you! 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 8:02 AM, marcg said:

Actually when I first saw this thread, I thought it said "M10M jock strap"

My mind boggled.

Given the resounding success of the Lenny Kravitz Drifter Monochrom kit and seeing as how street photography can sometimes be a full contact sport, the upcoming M10M street photographer limited edition kit will be shipped with a premium-quality vegan black leather striking reproduction of python skin jock strap - fitted with an integral carbon fiber protective cup.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2020 at 6:29 AM, fotografr said:

FWIW, the best strap I've found for my M bodies is the Leica Wide Leather Strap. Very comfortable around the neck, soft and supple, long lasting.

https://leicacamerausa.com/strap-wide-black-saddle-leather-w-shoulder-section.html?utm_source=Leica Camera Website&utm_medium=refferal&utm_campaign=Leica "Buy now" Button

Thanks for that, saw it just in time to get it with the M10M yesterday, and so now it is so much easier to carry!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2020 at 10:14 AM, insideline said:

I can confirm this - mine is marked up due to rubbing of the plastic.  It does not bother me, but it is something people should be aware of.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hate to revive an old thread - but wow do I really dislike the stock camera strap on the M10/P/M.  Compared to the original MM it's really a big step down.  It doesn't seem very well made and it's non-adjustable.  I ended up just tossing the stock strap in my spare parts bin - I ended up buying the original MM strap for all of my film/digital M bodies and even my Q.