Which 1 or max 2 lenses?

fursan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which 1 or 2 lenses would you take for travel and for all types of images from amongst

the following:

28 'cron, 35 'cron, 50 'lux, 75 'cron. latest versions of these lenses on a M8.

Thanks.

28 and 75

What kind of travelling? I would personally take 28/35/75, but you maxed out at 2, so I would have to say 28/50. 28 and 75 leave a huge gap between them, and 35 is not wide enough as a widest lens. I just got back from 4 days in Hamburg, and I used WATE, 28, 35, 75 almost exclusively, although I also had a 50 and a 90.

Carsten, thanks. Travelling to Budapest, Hungary for 5/6 days.

Regards.

What kind of travelling? I would personally take 28/35/75, but you maxed out at 2, so I would have to say 28/50. 28 and 75 leave a huge gap between them, and 35 is not wide enough as a widest lens. I just got back from 4 days in Hamburg, and I used WATE, 28, 35, 75 almost exclusively, although I also had a 50 and a 90.

Older European cities can get very tight, so you will definitely need as wide a lens as you can bring. A 21mm would be better. 21/35/75 or if you can't arrange that in time, 28/50 would probably be better than other combinations. While in Hamburg, I used my 35 by far the most, then the 28, then 75, then WATE. I would expect that with either 28/50 or 28/75, the 50 would be more useful.

I did not mention it, but do have a zeiss biogon 21/4.5. uncoded,un-anything and no finder.

beautiful for b/w, even without finder, but vignette and cyan shift is very obvious.

Regards.

Older European cities can get very tight, so you will definitely need as wide a lens as you can bring. A 21mm would be better. 21/35/75 or if you can't arrange that in time, 28/50 would probably be better than other combinations. While in Hamburg, I used my 35 by far the most, then the 28, then 75, then WATE. I would expect that with either 28/50 or 28/75, the 50 would be more useful.

Fahim, why do you limit your self to 2 lenses, apart from the obvious having to carry them I can't understand the reluctance to bring all as carry on and then when you get to your destination you can see which best suits the landscape. Then you have the option in the mornings before you head out to pick and choose the 2 lens selection based on the itinerary for the day leaving the remaining lenses locked in the hotel room safe or secure deposit box in reception.

If I had to choose, I'd suspect the choice would be 28 & 50, with full knowledge the 28 ain't going to be wide enough 50% of the time. ;)

Which 1 or 2 lenses would you take for travel and for all types of images...

Assuming you used film, which focal lengths were your most used then?

It's all very well for someone to suggest quite honestly that 35mm isn't wide enough, and that may be the case for them. For you it might be perfectly wide enough. This is a "how long is a piece of string" question really.

Someone here said that the gap between 28mm and 75mm is too wide. IIRC, when he was in Vietnam, Don McCullin used just a 28mm and 135mm for pretty much everything, so what does this prove, except it's back to horses for courses. :)

Eoin,

Thanks for responding. Restricting myself to the minimum is due to the desire to get

away from when I carried my d200+d70s/D80,12-24+17-55( 17-35 )+700-200 or

28/1.4+50/1.4+85/1.4 or 105/2 dc. 2 chargers, cards,filters,tripod+epson P-500

This was travelling light!! Now when I carried my Canon 5D...

After the M8 an the lenses, I just want to travel as light as possible ( wife bought

me a canon G7 for b/u ). I still feel naked without my D200!!, but have to start

somewhere!

Everything should fit in my Billingham bag.

Regards.

Fahim, why do you limit your self to 2 lenses, apart from the obvious having to carry them I can't understand the reluctance to bring all as carry on and then when you get to your destination you can see which best suits the landscape. Then you have the option in the mornings before you head out to pick and choose the 2 lens selection based on the itinerary for the day leaving the remaining lenses locked in the hotel room safe or secure deposit box in reception.

If I had to choose, I'd suspect the choice would be 28 & 50, with full knowledge the 28 ain't going to be wide enough 50% of the time. ;)

Tim, agree that the fl that is acceptable for one is not necessarily the same for the other.

Just wanted to get experienced opinions from those much more experienced than me.

Film...what? Had a spotmatic once. got stolen. could not affors another camera

till when I am reaching retirement.

Take care.

Assuming you used film, which focal lengths were your most used then?

It's all very well for someone to suggest quite honestly that 35mm isn't wide enough, and that may be the case for them. For you it might be perfectly wide enough. This is a "how long is a piece of string" question really.

Someone here said that the gap between 28mm and 75mm is too wide. IIRC, when he was in Vietnam, Don McCullin used just a 28mm and 135mm for pretty much everything, so what does this prove, except it's back to horses for courses. :)

On a DSLR I go long, on a rangefinder I go wide. Whilst I only use a 24mm on my M8, I recognise that the 28 is an easier combination for hand held work. So I would start with a 28 from your list, and tend to leave it on the camera and enjoy the rigour of working one angle of view; but unlike many here I am not a fan of lens changing or lens collecting. [Come to mention it - I'm not a camera fan either].

I would also consider travelling with a CV 28mm Color Skopar, and if a second lens has to be selected; a CV 35mm Color Skopar to remain unused at the bottom of a bag.

..............Chris

Thanks Jack. I have to see what I can do with my zeiss 21/4.5.

Regards

I agree with Carsten -- I'd take my 21 and 35. However, if I was only going to take one lens, it would be my 28... If you aren't going to buy any new glass, then the 28/50 is your best current two-lens combo.