Sign in to follow this  
fursan

Which 1 or max 2 lenses?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Olsen, thanks for your suggestions. I wish I could get the WATE. It is difficult to

find. I shall take the widest I have.

Btw, I was in Norway 3 months ago. beautiful people, beautiful country. Went

from north to south. amongst the thousands of pics of norway, i seem to like this

one very much.

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://umdah.zenfolio.com/img/v0/p430832457.jpg&key=3d6d8a33ce0d2c1c38c7df53d3b04e53b2645ae3dc9ac4b4bc76fe548d30bc5d">

Take care.

Fahim,

Very nice picture from my town of birth: Bergen. You see the Hanseatic Pier on the other side of Vågen (The Sound) taken from Nordness where my fathers family has it's roots.

Small world.

Tom

Jack, you might very well be correct. I am getting to a point where I would just

like to slap one on and be done with it..but then would i not miss the other?

If only one lens, I would have gone for my 50 'lux. but worried about its focus.

I was also seriously thinking of getting a 35 'lux. but after what I am reading in these

threads and my meagre experience with the 50..no way till leica can guarantee

much tighter qc. it is no good saying only a few face problems. i do not want

to be that one if at all i can avoid it.

I did have a thread re: focussing issues and most said they were ok, now look

at the thread about daring to buy a 35 'lux.

Regards.

Well, everybody has a different experience. I currently own all older, pre-asph lenses; 21, 28, 35 Lux, 50 Lux, 75 Lux and 90 Cron. Out of all of those, the only one that has focus issues is the 90 Cron, and it's off at DAG getting adjusted as I write this.

As for the 2mm cam adjustment, I'll echo your sentiments... The roller adjustment is for infinity ONLY. Point the camera at a star at night and focus until the lens stops -- if the star is a single point of light, the roller is properly adjusted. IF however, your star is two, you need to make the adjustment. Once that's confirmed correct, if several of your lenses are out, the ARM PIVOT CAM may need to be adjusted which is further inside the camera. Folks that have adjusted to roller to get perfect mid focus with a fast lens have either indirectly fixerd an infinity mis-alignment or messed up a correct infinity focus to compensate for an arm adjustment or out of spec lens.

That aside, a lens you do not have confidence in is the last lens I would take on a trip, but YMMV...

Cheers,

Olsen, small world indeed. bergen indeed.

Thru you i want to thank all your people for their graciousness and hospitality

and for making our vacation an unforgettable one. just as the fjord cruise.

Regards.

Fahim,

Very nice picture from my town of birth: Bergen. You see the Hanseatic Pier on the other side of Vågen (The Sound) taken from Nordness where my fathers family has it's roots.

Small world.

Tom

Allright, Carsten, I give in: you are a permanent walking miracle, blessed with near-perfect foresight ...

Funny coincidence - I always felt that way about Carsten too

my thoughts too, Jack.

Regards.

snip

That aside, a lens you do not have confidence in is the last lens I would take on a trip, but YMMV...

Cheers,

Funny coincidence - I always felt that way about Carsten too

I like where this thread is going

Fahim, if you don't trust the 50, don't have time to fix it, and don't want to try the Allen key, bring the 28 and 75 and forget about the mental anguish of the choice. The 35 is too narrow for a widest lens, so there really is no other choice. I would also recommend that you bring your 21, but that is for you to decide.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks a lot to all the folks that have been kind to make their suggestions.

I will take the 28+75+zeiss 21/4.5.

You are a swell and patient bunch of members. Now for the the M8 b/u !!

Regards and thanks

I like where this thread is going

Fahim, if you don't trust the 50, don't have time to fix it, and don't want to try the Allen key, bring the 28 and 75 and forget about the mental anguish of the choice. The 35 is too narrow for a widest lens, so there really is no other choice. I would also recommend that you bring your 21, but that is for you to decide.

You are much better on doing decisions than I am:

I take 15,21,24,28;TE,90macro on my upcoming trip to Italy...

cheers, Tom

If I had to take just one lens, it would probably have to be the TriElmar, but since that's not on your list, it would have to be the 28. If I could take a second, it would be a toss up between the 50 and the 75. The 50 is my least used lens at this point, so I would probably default to the 75.

Having said that I may be tempted to take a CV15 and the 35 instead for city stuff

IMO your 21, 28, 75 is going to be ideal for travel. I would add that I include your 75 because it is the Cron; IMO the lux is a tank and not the best lens for travel, though it is fun

Plus, I suspect that longer length will only see a small percentage of use relative to the 28.

Cheers,

In the spirit of the Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy, my favorite trilogy for travelling is: WATE, 28, 35, 75. If only the 75 Cron would work with the 90 Macro adapter... The Visoflex is a little large to throw in the pack.