Sign in to follow this  
fursan

Which 1 or max 2 lenses?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jono,

the 2 limit was derived considering the hcb travelled mostly with 1. taking 2 would

give me a 100% better chance over him to blame my equipment!

HI Fahim

I wouldn't dream of leaving it behind - but you had some silly 2 lens limit!

If it were me travelling, I'd take them all, and leave some in the hotel bedroom depending what I'm doing.

Normally I carry two bodies (one lens on each) with a third and fourth lens sitting between them - this all fits in a little billingham bag, and causes me no grief to carry.

Still - I'd stick with those three (WATE, MATE, 75 'cron) for daylight when travelling because it gives you as much variation as possible.

Fahim,

The optimal lense for city holidays are wide angle lenses. An advice; bring the widest you have! The M8 will crop it anyway. Next priority is a fastness: Bring your fastest lense! Almost regardless of focal length. Your 50 lux will do fine.

If I were you; I would buy a WATE. It is the the optimal wide angle lense combined with the M8 - the optimal tourist lense.

I live down-town Oslo - 10 minutes walk from Carl Johan (5th Avenue of Oslo, sort of..). The Rolling Stones are here tonight and the city was packed with tourists. Of which hundreds had gathered outside their hotel etc. I went for a walk with my M8 and a 35 mm 2,0 Summicron - being a tourist in my home town, you could say. The cron is fast, but not wide enough on the M8 to offer the optimum framing of scenes. I regret that I did not bring my WATE. It is 'made' for the M8.

Have a nice trip to Budapest!

Olsen, thanks for your suggestions. I wish I could get the WATE. It is difficult to

find. I shall take the widest I have.

Btw, I was in Norway 3 months ago. beautiful people, beautiful country. Went

from north to south. amongst the thousands of pics of norway, i seem to like this

one very much.

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://umdah.zenfolio.com/img/v0/p430832457.jpg&key=3d6d8a33ce0d2c1c38c7df53d3b04e53b2645ae3dc9ac4b4bc76fe548d30bc5d">

Take care.

Fahim,

The optimal lense for city holidays are wide angle lenses. An advice; bring the widest you have! The M8 will crop it anyway. Next priority is a fastness: Bring your fastest lense! Almost regardless of focal length. Your 50 lux will do fine.

If I were you; I would buy a WATE. It is the the optimal wide angle lense combined with the M8 - the optimal tourist lense.

I live down-town Oslo - 10 minutes walk from Carl Johan (5th Avenue of Oslo, sort of..). The Rolling Stones are here tonight and the city was packed with tourists. Of which hundreds had gathered outside their hotel etc. I went for a walk with my M8 and a 35 mm 2,0 Summicron - being a tourist in my home town, you could say. The cron is fast, but not wide enough on the M8 to offer the optimum framing of scenes. I regret that I did not bring my WATE. It is 'made' for the M8.

Have a nice trip to Budapest!

28/2 aspheric, 50 1.4 aspheric.

I might buy a 35 1.4 Asph down the road, but honestly, the two above are the only ones I really ever need to own. If I want to go wider, I will just use my Xpan. Tighter? FM3A with the 105 2.5.

Hallo

I was in Krakow this spring. I mostly walked around with 24/50 Cron. I never felt a need for a wider lens I rather missed a longer one...

Have fun in Budapest

Adi

Thanks. 28/2 is in the bag, based on what you guys recommend. Undecided about the

second.

Best.

28/2 aspheric, 50 1.4 aspheric.

I might buy a 35 1.4 Asph down the road, but honestly, the two above are the only ones I really ever need to own. If I want to go wider, I will just use my Xpan. Tighter? FM3A with the 105 2.5.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ady, you missed a longer fl because of your preferance or shooting requirements?

Regards.

Hallo

I was in Krakow this spring. I mostly walked around with 24/50 Cron. I never felt a need for a wider lens I rather missed a longer one...

Have fun in Budapest

Adi

Thanks Pierre. The 50 'lux is dicey right now due to focusing issues.

Hmm, if the first lens is the 28 Cron, then you can probably tweak the focusing to fit the 50 Lux Asph with a 2mm Allen key. Eventually of course, the equipment should all be tuned by Leica for proper focusing, but the 50 is much more critical than the 28, so if you turn the wheel a little, the 28 will most likely be okay, as long as the focusing is not too far off.

In your past travels in cities, how much did you use lenses longer than 50?

Carsten, I am not touching anything with an Allen Key ( 2mm or 1 meter! ).

Honestly, my preferred fls have been 28 ,50 ,and 85 on a dslr with less frequent

excursions lower or higher.

Regards.

Hmm, if the first lens is the 28 Cron, then you can probably tweak the focusing to fit the 50 Lux Asph with a 2mm Allen key. Eventually of course, the equipment should all be tuned by Leica for proper focusing, but the 50 is much more critical than the 28, so if you turn the wheel a little, the 28 will most likely be okay, as long as the focusing is not too far off.

In your past travels in cities, how much did you use lenses longer than 50?

One long and one short. 28mm as normal/wide and a 75 or 90mm for reach

Don't be afraid of using tele-lenses with the M8. I like ability to see so much around the frame when shooting tele.

Lars,

Thanks for your, as usual, lucid suggestions.

Would you, however, travel the world with one lens and no regrets?

Regards

An old man trying to learn the old ways using new equipment!!

No, really. But IF I had to do it, it would be the current 35mm Summilux. Very fast, very good, quite handy; and the difference between 47mm equivalent and 52mm, however small it may seem, is enough to make the 35 a more practical 'only lens' than the 50mm was on a FF camera.

Also, going out with just one lens is often an interesting experience. You learn a lot. But maybe you shouldn't do it on the other side of the planet.

And then the gentleman who questioned my claim that most lost pictures are lost when you stand with one lens in each hand ... that is at least my subjective memory! Maybe those are the lost pictures that I remember best. But the risk is real, and it increases by the square of the number of lenses you carry.

Those who claim that they have always the right lens on the camera are actually claiming either that a) they never take but one kind of picture, or

that they have subconsciously learnt to set their way of seeing according to the lens they have mounted for the moment, or c) that they are surrounded by a permanent mobile miracle. I leave the interpretation to you.

The old man from the Age of Box Cameras

That was me

I usually have the right lens on the camera because I change the lens according to the situation, even when I am not taking pictures in that moment. The fleeting moments are anyway usually to do with individual people, or the interaction between two, so the 35 Lux Asph is usually the right lens, with occasionally a 28 or 75 being needed.

(I wish Leica would make a compact 28mm lux).

On lens from the above: 28 and crop.

Compact? Whaddyamean? It wouldn't be compact anymore. It would, in more than one sense, be halfways to a Noctilux.

The old man from the Age of Elmar Lenses

That was me I usually have the right lens on the camera because I change the lens according to the situation, even when I am not taking pictures in that moment. The fleeting moments are anyway usually to do with individual people, or the interaction between two, so the 35 Lux Asph is usually the right lens, with occasionally a 28 or 75 being needed.

Allright, Carsten, I give in: you are a permanent walking miracle, blessed with near-perfect foresight ... I cannot do that, I have to be satisfied with being nearly always the right photographer behind the camera ;-)

The old man from the Age Before Smileys

Ady, you missed a longer fl because of your preferance or shooting requirements?

Regards.

The 3. Lens I sometimes had with me and missed when left behind was the 90 ; beautiful lens vor taking people f.i. on a marketplace...

Fahim

I recently moved from two Leica M6 to two M8.

I used the combination 35/90 then and this is what I am using now.

The shift in length is noticeable as it is now 47/120. I also have a small and light CV15, which is good for urban overall views.

I am thinking to replace the 90 with a 75, the 35 I bought new because my old one was 'old'.

The 28 would probably be better in a combo with the 75.

I am keeping the 35 for when I can only carry one lens, but probably the 28/75 will cover most shots.

Mustafa,

Thanks for your input. I have decided on the 28. I am still undecided between

the 50 and 75.

Regards.

Fahim

I recently moved from two Leica M6 to two M8.

I used the combination 35/90 then and this is what I am using now.

The shift in length is noticeable as it is now 47/120. I also have a small and light CV15, which is good for urban overall views.

I am thinking to replace the 90 with a 75, the 35 I bought new because my old one was 'old'.

The 28 would probably be better in a combo with the 75.

I am keeping the 35 for when I can only carry one lens, but probably the 28/75 will cover most shots.

Maybe what you should do is just slap the 28 on the camera, stuff a few fully-charged batteries and a half dozen SD cards in your pockets and be done with it. One, it will force you to look for images that best fit that focal and two, you'll be sure to always have the right lens on the camera

Cheers,

Jack, you might very well be correct. I am getting to a point where I would just

like to slap one on and be done with it..but then would i not miss the other?

If only one lens, I would have gone for my 50 'lux. but worried about its focus.

I was also seriously thinking of getting a 35 'lux. but after what I am reading in these

threads and my meagre experience with the 50..no way till leica can guarantee

much tighter qc. it is no good saying only a few face problems. i do not want

to be that one if at all i can avoid it.

I did have a thread re: focussing issues and most said they were ok, now look

at the thread about daring to buy a 35 'lux.

Regards.

Maybe what you should do is just slap the 28 on the camera, stuff a few fully-charged batteries and a half dozen SD cards in your pockets and be done with it. One, it will force you to look for images that best fit that focal and two, you'll be sure to always have the right lens on the camera

Cheers,