M10 monochrom - filters?

Anika

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently shot about 200 images in Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, about half of which were with my 28mm fitted with a #25 red filter and the rest with my 50mm fitted with an orange filter. I had no discernable sharpness problems.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/307755-rocks/

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/307718-joshua-tree-full-moon/

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Martin Munich said:

And just to complete this, today, my Visoflex EVF arrived and from what I did so far, I can strongly recommend this when using filters, especially the dark red. No unsharp pics anymore. Problem solved. 

I've just done a few more tests myself and it seems that I was over-compensating in my earlier trials with the Leitz Red filter. Near-focussing just a fraction - literally turning the focus-ring 0.5mm - sharpened up the image for a subject placed at infinity when shot at f8. Different amount of focus-adjustment needed for wider apertures. Different amount of focus-adjustment needed for closer-up subject matter...etc..etc...etc...

The amount of adjustment varies with both distance and aperture; there is not one hypothetical 'index mark' which can be used as a catch-all.

As I don't have the option of Live-View on either of my M bodies I guess I'll skip using the Red. It's been an education!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

I have noticed this too on my M10M. There is significant focus shift when using B+W yellow, orange and red filters. Plainly obvious. I was surprised to see that much shift, even with the yellow. The RF on my M10M is dead-on with a UV or nothing. But with the filters normally used for black and white, the EVF is the only way to achieve accurate focus.

44 minutes ago, jplaurel said:

I have noticed this too on my M10M. There is significant focus shift when using B+W yellow, orange and red filters. 

Year old thread, but most all here don’t experience significant shift using yellow (or even orange) filter.  Red is different.  I have no issue using yellow on my M9 Monochrom.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/26/2020 at 6:35 PM, pippy said:

The amount of adjustment varies with both distance and aperture

And with the lens used - with an APO lens there will be no shift, with a Summilux 50 asph very little, for instance.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
Am 2.3.2021 um 02:38 schrieb jaapv:

And with the lens used - with an APO lens there will be no shift, with a Summilux 50 asph very little, for instance.

Sorry for the delay, you are right with the 50 Summilux, which also delivers the best overall results so far. Will check with the APO-Summicron 75 later.