M10 monochrom - filters?

Anika

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps there is a good reason why Leica only offers new yellow, orange and green filters in 39 and 46mm sizes.

I am finding Heliopan and B&Q orange filters to work fine with M246, probably would work the same with M9M and M10M.  Still not sure about red, few pictures I made didn’t impress me, must try again.

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

What filter are you using? It is not normal for a filter to produce such image degradation, normally it is all but invisible.  I don''t have the M10M but the MM1 and my filtered images are tack-sharp. Perhaps something between the sensor filtration and the red filter?

Are you still talking about using a red filter, jaapv?

If so are you adjusting focus-point at all? Could you also post some examples?

The light is going but I'll see if I can rattle-off a few test frames in the next ten mins or so...

Philip.

No, I have to look for red filter ones, I use it rarely as I find it moderately dramatic and prefer to go near-IR in that case or take a few tomorrow - but it would be an MM1, so I am not sure how relevant they would be for the M10M.

• Thanks 1

OK...not sure that this will be very clear but FWIW I've  just snapped a tree with the M9M (on tripod) and 50mm Summicron. Don't know what they will look like on anyone else's screens; on one of my notebooks (this one) the on-screen image definitely appears softer than on the other(!). Tree is approx 100m away. These are 100% crops from (roughly) centre of frame.

Aperture remained constant at f5.6 1/2; ISO @ 320. Shutter speed changed with different filters.

Starting with first pairing (of three) which is No Filter and Green Filter. Green is slightly softer.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

P.

Edited by pippy

11 hours ago, Martin Munich said:

That´s actually what I was doing yesterday and the results were just BAD. The B&W 091 dark red produced no real sharp images (1.4/35 Summilux). So I made a test this morning and the results are shown in the attached screenshot (100% DNG with standard LR profile).

On the left, 091 attached, on the right the bare lens, both at f8. I also tried a precise focusing on tripod, shifted the focus through the entire range, this is the best I could get. Stopping up leads to even more unsharp images. 

Will make further testing with a 040 orange.

My recommendation so far: do not use color contrast filters at all. Which is really sad since I was really looking for that with the M10M.

I have no issues with B&W 090 (light red) on Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH. The images focused with EVF are all tack sharp. However, rangefinder focusing does not work that well. Have you tried 091 on different scenes (indoor, varying light situation)?

Second pair; Yellow / Orange;

P.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Third pair; Orange (same image as before) / Red;

Philip.

• Like 1

Images are SOOC and resized accordingly to 100% crops. No sharpening; no levels.

I have long-standing and ongoing problem in that I can never get images to appear as sharp on the forum as they are in actuality but, even so, I think the results show that IQ degrades slightly with each filter and noticeably more so with the Red.

P.

Edited by pippy

2 minutes ago, pippy said:

Images are SOOC and resized accordingly to 100% crops. No sharpening; no levels.

I have long-standing and ongoing problem in that I can never get images to appear as sharp on the forum as they are in actuality but, even so, I think the results show that IQ degrades slightly with each filter and noticeably more so with the Red.

P.

Are you aware of the optimum sizes for upload and LightBox, as per this thread?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

Are you aware of the optimum sizes for upload and LightBox, as per this thread?...

No!  Thanks for that, Keith!

I'll have a read of that and see if I can get a better test when the light is better.

P.

Edited by pippy

Just as a test using the info gleaned from the link in Keith's post here's a frame showing full image area as compared with the fairly small cropped area as used in the above images. Levels used to highlight image area;

Philip.

EDIT : Hmmm...still doesn't look too sharp on this laptop. The other strange thing is that the pair of leafless trees to the right of the highlighted area appear sharper than the 'main' tree but in actual fact they are effectively on the same focus plane (it's a straight row of trees!) and are equally sharp in the original file?....

I'll have a look on the other laptop.

P.

EDIT : OK; viewing now on other laptop and original 'No Filter' is as sharp as can be. The rest follow the 'slightly soft' decay and the IQ of the Red Filter image is, to all intents and purposes, useless - which has been my experience with every digital M / Red Filter combination.

WHY?

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

vor 15 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

What filter are you using? It is not normal for a filter to produce such image degradation, normally it is all but invisible.  I don''t have the M10M but the MM1 and my filtered images are tack-sharp. Perhaps something between the sensor filtration and the red filter?

B+W 091 and don´t forget the resolution of the M10M when you are looking at a 100 % screenshot.

vor 13 Stunden schrieb SrMi:

I have no issues with B&W 090 (light red) on Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH. The images focused with EVF are all tack sharp. However, rangefinder focusing does not work that well. Have you tried 091 on different scenes (indoor, varying light situation)?

Yes I´ve tested everything, different focus settings, distances etc., no real change. And don´t forget its a 100% image of the M10M, 40 MP are slightly more than 24 MP. I can certainly produce a JPEG with 4K resolution that would be ok but that´s not what I am looking for with the M10M. 

The orange filter (040) on the left side looks very good now, this time used a tripod too and very short exposure times at f4.8:

• Like 1

OK, I just proved myself wrong, please forget everything I´ve said and see the following example as the final test with the 091 dark red filter on the left, no filter on the right. Used a tripod again, LV focus and now everything is sharp. Don´t know what I did wrong first time, my apologies for the confusion. All I can say now is, that the regular viewfinder is useless  with the red filter. Gonna order the EVF now! 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Martin Munich said:

...LV focus and now everything is sharp. Don´t know what I did wrong first time, my apologies for the confusion. All I can say now is, that the regular viewfinder is useless  with the red filter...

I wonder if you could do me (us all?) a favour and let us know, by comparing the focus-distance on the lens, what adjustment was neccessary to render the image sharp; i.e. did you slightly near-focus or far-focus with the LV in comparison to the RF focus? Was it nearer to / on the infra-red index mark (he asked, hopefully!).

Philip.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb pippy:

I wonder if you could do me (us all?) a favour and let us know, by comparing the focus-distance on the lens, what adjustment was neccessary to render the image sharp; i.e. did you slightly near-focus or far-focus with the LV in comparison to the RF focus? Was it nearer to / on the infra-red index mark (he asked, hopefully!).

Philip.

Sure, the focus is slightly nearer with the 91 dark red and another mistake I made was probably that I used too long exposure times for a pixel sharp image. This is my first M and I also understand now why most of the M users I have seen so far use the soft button. Even at 35 mm it makes a difference if you are shooting at 1/90 or 1/250. With my Nikon DSLRs, I am usually still use the rule of thumbs 1/focal lentgh and that works even with a D800, that´s about the same resolution, but bayer sensor, however.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Martin Munich said:

This is my first M and I also understand now why most of the M users I have seen so far use the soft button. 

Never needed one and don’t usually see them.  Technique satisfies; same with RF viewing and focusing.  Practice.

Jeff