Leica M10 user considering also carrying a Q2 when shooting crowds and demos

Mikey6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi - I often shoot street demo's and campaign rallies - In the past I have usually taken my M10 and 3 lenses which means time wasting changes when a different lens is required.

Recently I have also taken a full frame Canon EOS with  a zoom (in addition to my M10)  which although heavy and cumbersome gives me a greater range of options to choose quickly and the autofocus which is sometimes helpful.

However, as it is bulky and heavy and I'm getting old - I'm now considering buying an extra leica M digital body  or considering buying a new Leica Q2 and using the crop facility.  I've seen many images taken from this 28mm fixed lens camera at 50 and 75mm crop which look excellent quality and I've observed a few photographers using an M10 or 240/262 plus a Q116 or Q2 combination

I would be interested in views from those who regularly carry 2 M bodies with prime lenses or use a Q2/Q116 with autofocus and use the crop facility in addition to an M camera.  

PS: I do also have a nice M4P but I like to view images and distribute immediately after and rarely shoot film at demos.

Mike

Hi, 

i was used to getting my M10 and a Q

but in the end, through my shooting style, only one camera being used and left the Q in the bag adding a heft to my shoulder 

so i decided, i rather have 2 M bodies instead since i would only use one at a time and the other just back up when necessary 

• Like 1

I've had the Q1 since it first came out, and it's become a camera that I will keep until it dies and it is unrepareable. I can only assume that the Q2 is all that it's predecessor is and then much more so I beleive that it's a perfect camera for the kind of work you talk about here in your posting.

While I don't go near street demos, I regularly use M10-D and Q2 as travel cameras. Some people think the Q2 crop feature is a bit of a gimmick and low on quality, but I disagree.  The photo below, taken in Tuscany, started as a 75mm crop, which I then further cropped to about 120mm.  Still fine for a reasonably sized print.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1