Leica M - shooting without camera bag

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I’m shooting with Leica M246 + 35mm Lux FLE. I love this compact and simple kit for my personal reportage photography. 

I’m finding, I’m growing more and more tired of carrying a camera bag and love just having the camera slug cross body on a camera strap. It gives a much more spotaneous and fluid shooting experience.

My question is, do many of you shoot without a camera bag or is it too risky in regards to knocks and getting caught out in rain or snow?

Would love to hear your thoughts and advice.

Cheers,

Mads

Guest Nowhereman

Before digital, I used to carry a bag with two M6s, one for color and one for B&W film, and some 4-6 lenses. One day, I realized that I rarely changed lenses and even more rarely switched between the B&W and color cameras — and the following day went one with only one camera and lens: I found that I got better pictures that day and enjoyed it more. I then alternated with color and B&W film in binges of one or two months. These days, I go out with an M10 and the DR Summicron 50 and carry the Summaron 28/f.5.6 lens in my pocket. I don't use a camera bag at all.

I never carry a bag.  My camera is slug cross body on a 125cm strap all day long.  It bumps into things and swings violently when I tie my shoes. Apart from some scuffs on the lens hood or filter it looks new.  And mine has no problem with rain or sea spray as long as it's later wiped down.

Edited by ELAN
  • Like 1

If I'm out all day and want to carry an alternate lens (and maybe a flash too), I bring a small Domke FX-5B bag. With the bag, I usually have the camera on a wrist strap. Other times, it's just one lens and a spare battery in my pocket. Then I'll use a neck strap diagonally across one shoulder. I've gone out in the rain this way, putting the camera on first before my jacket. In a downpour, the camera just gets tucked inside. The only downside is occasionally fogging the viewfinder.

• Like 1

Getting caught out, in the rain, is only mitigated if the bag is truly water-proof. I have seen some very fancy bags, such as red-dot-edition Ona bags, that will funnel rainwater into the bag. Some Think Tank and Mindshift bags have nicely-tethered rain covers, which can be used to cover the whole bag.

I will often go out and about without a bag. Unless a serious shoot is planned, bagless is the norm, for me. The strap passes over my right shoulder, and the camera is at my left side, which minimizes impacts as I enter automobiles, and keeps the camera away from other items that I tend to carry on the right side. Yes, the camera and lens can accumulate exterior marks, but I plan to keep them, as long as I am able to walk about, so resale value is an insignificant concern. It helps if the lens hood is not of metal construction, such as the plastic 12536 hood, on my Elmarit-M 28mm v. III. I see detachable hoods as expendable, consumable items. I have a third-party metal hood, that protects my Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, as its permanently-installed, telescoping metal hood seems quite delicate.

A simple short hood, quite cheap, can be a step-up ring, which threads like a filter, onto the lens.

2 hours ago, mcpallesen said:

My question is, do many of you shoot without a camera bag or is it too risky in regards to knocks and getting caught out in rain or snow?

My only camera bag is in storage somewhere. I don't use it. I do carry a lightweight dry bag in a pocket in case of rain/snow which is big enough to put camera/phone/wallet into if absolutely needed.

Most of the time I have just my camera with me with one lens. I try to figure out beforehand what focal length and what speed I probably will need. This is then either 28, 35 or 50mm. If I go hiking I prefer to have alternative focal lengths with me.  For this I got a peak design pouch that I carry on a belt with my pants. Into that pouch I can pack 1 big lens (e.g, 75mm) or 2 small lenses (21 or 28mm). In rare cases I take a bigger bag or even backpack.

Guest Nowhereman

Interesting to see that a number of people carry the camera with the strap diagonally across one of their shoulders. I've never liked that, and prefer hanging it from my right shoulder on a short strap (33 inch/84 cm) that I wrap around my wrist when shooting. For that, the strap should be one that doesn't easily slip off the shoulder, and soft and flexible enough around the wrist. On my M6 and M3, I have braided leather straps made for Ralph Gibson by a bridlemaker in Montana that he gave out at a workshop, with the same length as just mentioned. For my M10, I bought the Harry Benz "B Strap": it's made from buffalo hide that, despite it's thickness, is extremely soft and wraps easily around the wrist, while having a good feel to it; the inside has a rougher, non-slip texture. 

I use a Billingham 72 in lieu of a camera strap. If it’s not in the Billingham, and thereby protected from rain and impact, it’s in my hands.
I don’t use a strap. I prefer my Leicas completely naked. 
I had to rely on the Billingham’s rain resistance in a sudden downpour in Tokyo last year. Not a drop made it into the bag. Glad I had it!

Edited by Mute-on
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Interesting to see that a number of people carry the camera with the strap diagonally across one of their shoulders. I've never liked that, and prefer hanging it from my right shoulder on a short strap (33 inch/84 cm) that I wrap around my wrist when shooting. For that, the strap should be one that doesn't easily slip off the shoulder, and soft and flexible enough around the wrist. On my M6 and M3, I have braided leather straps made for Ralph Gibson by a bridlemaker in Montana that he gave out at a workshop, with the same length as just mentioned. For my M10, I bought the Harry Benz "B Strap": it's made from buffalo hide that, despite it's thickness, is extremely soft and wraps easily around the wrist, while having a good feel to it; the inside has a rougher, non-slip texture. 

I use the Harry Benz ”Vintage B” strap as well. Best camera strap I have ever had. Highly recommended. Mine is 108cm for when wearing cross body, else wrapped around wrist when shooting.