M-A repurposed MP body?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Pyrogallol,

Egads, the Vulcanite is vertical on the larger portion of the body & diagonal on the circular portion. How can this be?

Best Regards,

Michael

Someone has taken the plug out and put it back incorrectly?

I guess it depends on how Leica makes the magnesium body.  If they use computer controllers, then the process of cutting out the battery hole and the hole on the back for the wiring of the ISO settings could be left out.  So, it could be the same body, but without the MP holes?  Just wondering.

Having two MP's, the image looks odd.  I wonder if someone just banged it really hard, then had it recovered to mask it.  If so, other problems probably exist.  I would not buy one looking like that, but would send the image to Leica and ask if it is the same body and holes... just curious. 

48 minutes ago, davidmknoble said:

I guess it depends on how Leica makes the magnesium body.  If they use computer controllers, then the process of cutting out the battery hole and the hole on the back for the wiring of the ISO settings could be left out.

The film bodies are made out of aluminium not magnesium. I think they are extruded so your point about not cutting the hole still stands. It might be that the company has such a large supply of MP bodies that it was far more cost efficient to plug the hole than manufacture new body shells. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Pyrogallol,

Egads, the Vulcanite is vertical on the larger portion of the body & diagonal on the circular portion. How can this be?

Best Regards,

Michael

Had not noticed that. I thought it was just the sharkskin vulcanite that had vertical and horizontal patterns, as discussed in a sharkskin topic?

5 hours ago, wattsy said:

The film bodies are made out of aluminium not magnesium. I think they are extruded so your point about not cutting the hole still stands. It might be that the company has such a large supply of MP bodies that it was far more cost efficient to plug the hole than manufacture new body shells. 

Interesting.  I could not find a verification, but I am sure there is one.  The MP manual says "all metal body" with the "brass" top and bottom.  The MA Manual says nothing.  

In either event, I would expect, in general, they would not cut the hole for the battery till needed.  So I would still expect the MA to have a solid spot below the lens release.  I wonder if early copies were not so, or if in general a 'plug' approach is used.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 minutes ago, davidmknoble said:

Interesting.  I could not find a verification, but I am sure there is one.  The MP manual says "all metal body" with the "brass" top and bottom.  The MA Manual says nothing.  

In either event, I would expect, in general, they would not cut the hole for the battery till needed.  So I would still expect the MA to have a solid spot below the lens release.  I wonder if early copies were not so, or if in general a 'plug' approach is used.  

I doubt it.  The film bodies will a mass produced supply item, each one taken from the parts bin whether used for the MP or M-A.  I cannot for the life of me understand why it matters.  I can’t see the outline of the plug on my M-A, and the camera is beautifully finished.  I expect every bit if my camera to have come from the parts bins, and finished to a high standard - there are no ugly gaps, holes or unused switches on mine.  Why should anyone care what is under the covers?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Landiah said:

I see that some people here got upset about my comment of the body being less desirable. I should have worded that differently. I was mainly curious as to why that would be there on a film body without any electronics. 

I don't think people were upset but rather intrigued by that comment. Again, the choice of words is important on a forum were facial expressions, intonations and body language are inexistant. 🙂

• Like 2

Here is another used M-A found on a different site with what appears to be a slight dent  where the battery cover would be. Has anybody else experienced this issue?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

38 minutes ago, Landiah said:

Has anybody else experienced this issue?

I would say yes... you have found 2 and the one advertised here clearly shows the same issue, clearly visible in the third photo.

Edit: now it might be my imagination but in the second photo here I can also see a definite shadow.

But anyhow, we know that the M-A and MP have the same bodies..

Edited by ianman

6 hours ago, ianman said:

I would say yes... you have found 2 and the one advertised here clearly shows the same issue, clearly visible in the third photo.

Same photo as the Leica website, also has a shadow of the dent. https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-A

I will never be able to unsee it.

Anyway, the site you linked (lcameras.com) has much cheaper Leica prices than anywhere else I have looked. Are they reputable? Any idea why?

Thanks

6 hours ago, Landiah said:

.....Are they reputable? Any idea why?

Why what?

My guess is that as the blanking plug is situated where your fingers grip the camera, on some bodies it could be gradually pushed inwards with use. Maybe a grip would take some of the pressure off the blanking plug....but which grip is best?  You'll definitely incur the wrath of the grip prevention Police, and that is not something that worried people really want to face.  

The only way to find out is to buy two M-A's, fit a grip to one of them and use the other without a grip.

Your next dilemma will be whether you buy two black cameras, two silver ones or one of each.  You'll probably then lose sleep over which camera to fit the grip to.....or are silver M-A's more prone to developing a sink-hole than black ones.....or vice versa.....or is it something to do with serial numbers....or....

If the M-A sink-hole concern is too much to bear, why not consider a different body such as an M2, M3 or M4?  I hesitate to suggest and MP due to the likelihood of some bloke on a forum  somewhere whose public duty it is to inform you that the electronic circuitry will self-destruct, the camera will be unrepairable and you'll be left with a hole in the body that you'll have to keep filling with useless batteries. 

Photography is supposed to be about enjoyable, creative expression, not a cause of constant paranoia.  Try this:  just buy a camera and get on with the creative enjoyment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Why what?

My guess is that as the blanking plug is situated where your fingers grip the camera, on some bodies it could be gradually pushed inwards with use. Maybe a grip would take some of the pressure off the blanking plug....but which grip is best?  You'll definitely incur the wrath of the grip prevention Police, and that is not something that worried people really want to face.  

The only way to find out is to buy two M-A's, fit a grip to one of them and use the other without a grip.

Your next dilemma will be whether you buy two black cameras, two silver ones or one of each.  You'll probably then lose sleep over which camera to fit the grip to.....or are silver M-A's more prone to developing a sink-hole than black ones.....or vice versa.....or is it something to do with serial numbers....or....

If the M-A sink-hole concern is too much to bear, why not consider a different body such as an M2, M3 or M4?  I hesitate to suggest and MP due to the likelihood of some bloke on a forum  somewhere whose public duty it is to inform you that the electronic circuitry will self-destruct, the camera will be unrepairable and you'll be left with a hole in the body that you'll have to keep filling with useless batteries. 

Photography is supposed to be about enjoyable, creative expression, not a cause of constant paranoia.  Try this:  just buy a camera and get on with the creative enjoyment.

Why does that store linked have cheap prices for new gear?

I have an MP and GAS has set in and made me determined to also acquire an M-A, sink hole or not. 

I am amused that the dent is visible. After seeing it once, I see it everywhere, It’s present even on the Leica website advertising photo of the black M-A!

9 minutes ago, Landiah said:

I have an MP and GAS has set in and made me determined to also acquire an M-A, sink hole or not. 

I am amused that the dent is visible. After seeing it once, I see it everywhere, It’s present even on the Leica website advertising photo of the black M-A!

- I had seen those "old images of M-A" used almost everywhere 😉

- as those "bumps" didn't bother me, I've never "seen" them as such

- maybe real produced M-A are better in this thing

- I took time to view some real  M-A in this "I love ..." thread

( nowhere of those bumps ... )

• Thanks 1