Leica M10 Monochrom Images

Likaleica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/2/2020 at 2:30 AM, fotografr said:

Absolutely stunning. One of the best landscape images I've seen on this forum.

It's a nice composite for sure but it's not a photograph that was taken with a single click because it's given away by the stick protruding out of the water at centre-right of the composite.  To have a shadow at that angle (think of a sun dial) would need a second sun but we only have one and that's in the centre of the picture.  Then my eye moves to the poles beside the boat whose shadows would be much longer with the sun so low in the sky as would the boat's shadow.  Then there's the nail in the block of wood at bottom right but the nail casts no shadow at all.

Apart from that it's a very pleasant picture.

Have I got it about right, @snooper^_^

Pete.

Edited by farnz
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, farnz said:

It's a nice composite for sure but it's not a photograph that was taken with a single click

Pete.

Sorry but not right at all. It's a simple picture handheld taken on the fly, in front of my house.

I expose for the highlight of the sun, and then recover the low light of the boat, which gives the impression of a studio lightning I like. I dont photoshop, I just work the low and high lights in LR, raise the contrast, and I swear I don't touch the colors 😂. DNG at your disposal, let me know if this link works for you. Iso 160, 1/180th at f:9.5 (oui oui), summicron 28mm, picture cropped to 4/5 to best fit in instagram, as I started a few mono shots under @leicam10M . You know everything.

Just to say the low lights are really incredible with this camera. I tried to compare with Q2 and SL2, but boy! they are far away.

Edited by snooper
  • Haha 1

Beech Hanger on Morgan's Hill.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M10M, 21-35mm Vario Elmar-R

• Like 9

5 hours ago, farnz said:

It's a nice composite for sure but it's not a photograph that was taken with a single click because it's given away by the stick protruding out of the water at centre-right of the composite.  To have a shadow at that angle (think of a sun dial) would need a second sun but we only have one and that's in the centre of the picture.  Then my eye moves to the poles beside the boat whose shadows would be much longer with the sun so low in the sky as would the boat's shadow.  Then there's the nail in the block of wood at bottom right but the nail casts no shadow at all.

Pete.

Using the DNG provided by Snooper, I was able to create a nearly identical image to the one posted (see below). Not a composite, just one single image. Can you tell them apart?

I'm afraid you got this one wrong, Pete.

Cheers,

Brent

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, fotografr said:

Using the DNG provided by Snooper, I was able to create a nearly identical image to the one posted (see below). Not a composite, just one single image. Can you tell them apart?

I'm afraid you got this one wrong, Pete.

Cheers,

Brent

Well, it's simple enough to save the composite in *.dng format so providing a dng is not really proof unfortunately and then all you've done is brighten the dng so it matches the posted version.  The composite work had already already been done.

How do you explain the problems with the shadows that I pointed out? 

Pete.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, farnz said:

Well, it's simple enough to save the composite in *.dng format so providing a dng is not really proof unfortunately and then all you've done is brighten the dng so it matches the posted version.  The composite work had already already been done.

Pete.

The different shadow angles are the result, in my opinion, of the sticks themselves not being straight up. It seems highly improper to accuse someone of altering an image when he has told us he did not. You're calling him a liar when you have no evidence. That's just not proper behavior. I would invite you to examine post#1999 in this thread, also taken by Snooper. Same boat, same sticks in the water, different light, and not a composite.

By the way, there was considerably more work involved than just "brightening the image." Give it a try.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 3

I never thought I'd change my venerable MM Mk1, having tried an M246 for a while and then revererted to the original CCD camera.  But I've now weakened. 

My first outing with the M10M was a day ago, while walking the dog.

M10M, 35 Summilux FLE.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, farnz said:

Pete.

Hi Pete,

I believe it is a reflection and not a shadow, lines up perfectly. IMHO.

hope that helps explain it, beautiful image.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Like 7

8 hours ago, fotografr said:

It seems highly improper to accuse someone of altering an image when he has told us he did not. You're calling him a liar when you have no evidence.

Calm down, Brent, no one's calling anyone a liar and I don't see the reason for the language or escalation; I posed some questions about things that didn't appear to me to add up, hoping that they would be resolved.  I suspect that Sjz may have hit on the answer that what look like shadows are actually reflections but the way the picture is rendered has darkened them and made them appear as shadows.

I apologise to Snooper if I've misinterpreted or misunderstood his picture.

Let's move on.

Pete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farnz said:

Calm down, Brent, no one's calling anyone a liar and I don't see the reason for the language or escalation; I posed some questions about things that didn't appear to me to add up, hoping that they would be resolved.  I suspect that Sjz may have hit on the answer that what look like shadows are actually reflections but the way the picture is rendered has darkened them and made them appear as shadows.

I apologise to Snooper if I've misinterpreted or misunderstood his picture.

Let's move on.

Pete.

Don't put this on me, Pete. Your language in post #2006 was pretty clear. After Snooper explained that he hadn't composited the image, you repeated your claim that he had.

I'm glad you apologised to him. It was owed.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, farnz said:

This is a bold accusation (while I tell you it's not composite I dont expect to be challenged, I would have no problem telling you I do composite images but unfortunately I dont even know what it is)... that I leave you with. In my business we dont lie, it's a matter of survival.

But you should perhaps review a few physic laws about diffraction that will explain you how a surface such as water can generate a "backlight". About all of my photos with Leicas are taken "against the light". It takes time to get used to it, and also to be able to see from the OOC DNG how far you can dig into the shadows. Because just by looking at the roll it's hard to foresee what is usable and what is not. And when you look at a M10M DNG, you can really go deep into the shadows.

Anyway a picture is delivered "as is" and not as a recipe, as you dont explain a writer's story by commenting the ink he uses to write.

• Like 5

On 11/9/2020 at 11:13 AM, Cayenne said:

Thank you, if I might pick your brain one bit more...

What holder system and adapter are you using for a Leica M camera?

Again, thank you in advance!!

C

Sure, I am using a relatively inexpensive "Cookin" filer holder such as:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/459608-REG/Cokin_CBP400A_P_Series_Filter.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI95e-1eP67AIV0iCtBh2AawvQEAQYASABEgLuj_D_BwE

along with adapter rings that align to the lens' diameter that you plan to use.  Note that some square filters are 80mm wide others are 100mm wide, so for whichever you choose, make sure the filter size and holder align.  In my case I am at 80mm.

When using this filter, best on tripod (although not strictly mandatory), but use live-view at the aperture you will ultimately shoot and slowly slide the filter up / down, tilt until the contrast is better managed.  

As dynamic range has increased over the years, the need for this filter has reduced some, but I still enjoy its results as needed, especially when shooting a sunset or sunrise directly with foreground objects.  This filter was much more used when I was shooting Velvia color slide film with a much narrower exposure range.  Other techniques can be used as well such as taking two photographs at two different exposures and combining digitally, but I prefer to try and capture with a single exposure in the field when I can.    

Foggy evening on the River Thames. ZM35,1.4

• Like 9

M10M  Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/50 ASPH

• Like 7

A nice moment between friends at the river near my house.

50 Summicron

• Like 5