Jono Slack: Leica M10 Monochrom Field Report

LUF Admin

I have the M10M but I wouldn't be letting the M9M go. The M9M is unique in that its CCD sensor and lower megapixel sensor renders much nicer textures for the images I take on the street. Its harder to achieve the same exaggerated grain quality on the M10M in my assessment so far. The M10M is a very different camera with extremely high quality images at high ISO values, along with better functions such as quiet shutter. The M9M shutter sound is almost rude in comparison. There is no point trying to emulate the same quality of images possible with the M9M and instead the M10M offers a whole new way to capture and process images to one's individual styles of photography. I am loving the M10M and with further explorations I will develop a workflow that this camera along with my creativity is suited to. Its kind of a co creation process between camera and self, a personal development project in my view. 

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2020 at 5:26 AM, Anika said:

Missing the M9M? Not even for a second :)

I loved the M9M.  I also loved the M9.  The M246 was a big step up, and after a month or two, I could edit the DNG's to get the same look as the M9M.  The M10M is another leap, but I think it is the biggest leap yet in the Monochrom series.  Again it took a few weeks for me to tweak the DNG's such that I got the tones and contrast I wanted, but its all there in the files.  In fact it really surprised me in two ways - 1) the shadow detail is incredibly deep, a lot like the S007 pulls out shadow detail, and 2) the ISO 50,000 is incredible - I have not gotten any banding and I have printed 17"x22" prints that look like 13"x19" from a 35mm negative - from proper viewing distance the grain isn't noticeable.  Those together are pretty amazing.  Given it is finally the size of my film MP's, I may slow down shooting film :(

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/17/2020 at 12:47 PM, jonoslack said:

Hi There

No, it's not M9 slow (or anything like it), but for continuous shooting it's slower - I didn't have any issues at all, there is no shutter lag, but it's the same processor, so there is inevitably some hit having the larger files. 

@jonoslack Jono do you have random lines that appear horizontally in your rear screen during live view, permanent exposure? It feels like the processor is maxing out,  very distracting. Hope mine is not defective.  Pictures are not affected though. 

21 hours ago, NRKstudio said:

@jonoslack Jono do you have random lines that appear horizontally in your rear screen during live view, permanent exposure? It feels like the processor is maxing out,  very distracting. Hope mine is not defective.  Pictures are not affected though. 

There is something wrong with your unit. I do not have this issue at all. 

On 6/6/2020 at 9:30 PM, dkmoore said:

There is something wrong with your unit. I do not have this issue at all. 

It seems to happen usually when I’m in dim light and sorry it happens more frequently with exposure set to shutter half pressed.  Try this and I’ll try to post a pic. 

10 hours ago, NRKstudio said:

It seems to happen usually when I’m in dim light and sorry it happens more frequently with exposure set to shutter half pressed.  Try this and I’ll try to post a pic. 

I’ll try this afternoon and will let you know ASAP. 

On 6/6/2020 at 5:54 AM, NRKstudio said:

Hi There - sorry for the delay in answering.

I certainly don’t recall seeing anything like that - but sadly I don’t have a camera to check it out on, and I didn’t use live view (or the EVF) all that extensively. I always reckon that Leica should let me keep the camera after doing the review . . I’m afraid they always want them back!

Good luck with getting it sorted

On 6/6/2020 at 12:54 AM, NRKstudio said:

I checked last night and I do not have this issue. There are no lines on my screen in dim light. I tried in very dark light and still no issue as described. 

On 6/10/2020 at 7:48 AM, dkmoore said:

I checked last night and I do not have this issue. There are no lines on my screen in dim light. I tried in very dark light and still no issue as described. 

@jonoslack thank you though, not sure if you can pass it on to Leica.  Here it is pics below, the line is on the left of the screen and seems to occur when exposure is less than a stop under or more.  Try keeping the shutter on, 1/180 sec then iso 6400, then iso 12000.  DNG file, center point, etc.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The line kind of moves from top left to bottom left as you move from stop to stop, 1 stop underexposed then it moves down at 2 stops, again at 3 stops.  It’s almost as if some relic of coding an exposure graph on the screen remains in the firmware.  Hopefully not my hardware at issue, I got mine brand new from Leica USA. 

13 hours ago, NRKstudio said:

The line kind of moves from top left to bottom left as you move from stop to stop, 1 stop underexposed then it moves down at 2 stops, again at 3 stops.  It’s almost as if some relic of coding an exposure graph on the screen remains in the firmware.  Hopefully not my hardware at issue, I got mine brand new from Leica USA. 

Hi There

Does it only happen with the level gauge on?

On 6/14/2020 at 3:49 AM, jonoslack said:

Hi There

Does it only happen with the level gauge on?

@jonoslack Jono, yes it does please see attached pic.  I bought this camera direct from Leica USA as well, right at the launch.  It’s still got original firmware too.  

Pthis occurs at both exposure simulation half pressed and also permanent.  I notice it when the live view makes dark areas lighter automatically in exposure half pressed, and when iso is above 1600 In permanent exposure simulation mode.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by NRKstudio

• 4 weeks later...

@NRKstudio, I know its been a few weeks, but I was not clear, is this only on the live view or is it in the RAW image as well, the DNG file?  In other words is it from the viewing mode or the sensor and the image file?

As an aside, you can ask questions and submit things in the Fotos app (even the free one on the mobile phone).  I have asked many a question.  It may take a week or two given COVID to answer, but I've always gotten answers!

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2020 at 3:11 PM, davidmknoble said:

@NRKstudio, I know its been a few weeks, but I was not clear, is this only on the live view or is it in the RAW image as well, the DNG file?  In other words is it from the viewing mode or the sensor and the image file?

As an aside, you can ask questions and submit things in the Fotos app (even the free one on the mobile phone).  I have asked many a question.  It may take a week or two given COVID to answer, but I've always gotten answers!

Thanks for the tip! It’s just on live view but does not show up in the DNGs.