Jono Slack: Leica M10 Monochrom Field Report

LUF Admin

1 hour ago, Twasi said:

What is the effective dynamic range of this sensor? How much information can you recover from shadows that appear black? That would be the real appeal of a monochrome sensor.

Leica claims 15 stops of dynamic range. But we don’t know how it is measured so we can’t compare it. Hope early adopters will work with Bill Cliff to get a comparable PDR.

10 hours ago, marcg said:

You really think it's going to be that long before Leica bring out an M11M?  🤔

Great.

An 80 MP sensor (equivalent to a 120MP color sensor) requiring a new $4000 computer so I can crop down to nose hairs. <_<

Edited by james.liam
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, james.liam said:

Great.

An 80 MP sensor (equivalent to a 120MP color sensor) requiring a new $4000 computer so I can crop down to nose hairs. <_<

By then the computers will be run by space chimps that do the editing for us...

But in reality, we need to update our computers at least every 2-3 years if we want to keep up.

• Like 1

Somebody asked about bit depth... EXIFTOOL shows the same as the M10-P --- 16 bits.  Whereas the M-246 shows 12 bits.  So if the M10-P is actually 14 bits, it's reasonable to assume the M10 Monochrom is also 14 bits.  I've download the spec sheet and quick start from Leica US, neither state the bit depth.  

Hopefully Phase One gets Capture One 20 updated within the next... ooooh... 24 months?  It took them forever to add the M-246...  FWIW - Capture One 20 should read the DNG's without issue via their Generic DNG profile.  I haven't tried yet though.

I found some raws here - https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/leica_m10_monochrom_review/preview_images.  JPEGs first, scroll down for the DNGs.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Capture One reads the DNG's using a generic profile.

Also although the pixel data is stored in 16-bit words (hence described as 16-bit data in one piece of metadata), elsewhere in the files it says the black point is 0, and the white limit point is 15000.  That sounds like 14 bits of useful data to me.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Black said:

Somebody asked about bit depth... EXIFTOOL shows the same as the M10-P --- 16 bits.  Whereas the M-246 shows 12 bits.  So if the M10-P is actually 14 bits, it's reasonable to assume the M10 Monochrom is also 14 bits.  I've download the spec sheet and quick start from Leica US, neither state the bit depth.  

<snip>

It seems you downloaded everything but the instruction manual :-).

M10M Instruction manual, page 134:

Color depth
DNG: 14 bit
JPG: 8 bit

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the report .  I quickly stopped using my 1st generation MM and went back to b&w film because I couldn't adequately control the highlights, especially in contrasty situations.  Did you find that the M10 Monochrom performed differently in this regard? 

1 hour ago, mmx_2 said:

How is the battery life compared to Regular leica M10? I assume that it’s using the very same battery type?

I guess it is somewhat worse since the camera is shuffling around more data while the hardware is the same (?)

Edited by Joakim

I wonder if the histogram is rendered and displayed as RAW (after a short delay) as in the MM1.  This feature helps control highlight exposure, which matters given the lack of color channel recovery in PP. I don’t know how the M246 operated. 

Jeff