Jono Slack: Leica M10 Monochrom Field Report

LUF Admin

42 minutes ago, xiaubauu2009 said:

What is the bit generated by the sensor? is it the same 12bit from the 246 or are we lucky enough to be back to the good ol 14 of the MM1?

Hi There

As I understand it the files are 14 bit (like the M10), but I will have a proper check and get back. 

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Any idea why Leica lists white balance settings in the technical details for the M10M on their website? I sort of thought there would be no white balance to set on a B&W camera.

White balance Automatic, manual, 8 presets, colour temperature input
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another great impression Jono, Like yourself I wish Leica would have stuck with 24mp yet I understand the marketing aspect that they “had” to go with more MPIX. Did you use any color filters on your images?

Guest BlackBarn
2 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

But shooting with a black and white camera imposes a discipline on the photographer which can be really valuable:

I agree with this, one of your final statements,  as possible justification for the monochrome   but wonder what is the difference between that and shooting say with a ‘normal’ camera set to monochrome?

4 minutes ago, BlackBarn said:

I agree with this, one of your final statements,  as possible justification for the monochrome   but wonder what is the difference between that and shooting say with a ‘normal’ camera set to monochrome?

When shooting in raw on a colour camera, you don't "set" camera to monochrome. The image comes with a full set of data and you then have to convert it to monochrome in a processor. The usual approach is to adjust the colours so that you strengthen colour levels throughout the image as per your particular taste – and then convert to monochrome.

With B/W camera - there is no colour data.  Just lots of luverly B/W

Edited by marcg

10 minutes ago, BlackBarn said:

Well, I actually do that sometimes on dreary days (set the jpg settings to Monochrome so that I only see black and white in the EVF). But it isn't the same, and after a day or so shooting black and white only you change the way you shoot, definitely different. 

All the best

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, marcg said:

The usual approach is to adjust the colours so that you strengthen colour levels throughout the image as per your particular taste – and then convert to monochrome

Not mine. I convert RAW/DNG to b/w as an initial PP step and proceed from there, using color channels only if needed as a later, secondary refinement.  Setting the overall contrast curve is an important early step for me before before assessing local tonal relationships.

Of course the other points still hold, e.g.,  preserving data using RAW vs JPEG (and for providing user control vs camera control), and using a monochrome sensor with no color array vs using a camera that provides color channel adjustment flexibility in PP.   

Jeff

• Like 3

I’m picking mine up as soon as I get home from holidays and I can’t remember being more excited about a camera. Having own many M bodies, both film and digital, I think the M10P is the obvious pick of the litter. The Monochrom version with a 41MP sensor should see me into my dotage. Bravo Leica and thank you for the early review Jono, based on usability and not shots of brick walls. 

• Like 1

I know the pics files have been reduced for the post, but i'm sorry to say that it looks incredibly bad, and even worst, uninteresting... In addition, there is no way - except greed - that can justify a $8500 price tag for this camera, even with a 41MP sensor. I’ll give it $4000/4500 because, hey, it’s a Leica, but not more. It don't worth more, i'm sorry.

• Like 2