The quality of TL 18-55 lens.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have used Leica T as my first leica camera before and  i reserved for the special offer TL2 with TL 18-55 in good price that i will receive end of this month. 

I have never used TL18-55 lens before. what do you think about this lens could i keep it or just sell it for get my money. 

for this time i have another M lenses with adapter (I have SL as well) 

My purpose that i wanna buy TL2 because the size and good price with lens bundle. 

Thanks for your suggestions and can't wait to try it :) 

The TL 18-56 is a very good all purpose lens that could be the only lens some people ever own. It’s not fast, but with the CL/TL2 sensor it doesn’t need to be fast. I would suggest owning it until you feel you need something else. That could be the wider 11-23, or longer with the 55-135, or faster fixed focal lenses like the TL35. The TL 18-56 is a good base lens and some days that’s maybe all you want to take with you and all you really need.

• Like 7

It's a much better lens than its reputation sometimes suggests. I bought one used, enjoyed it for nearly a year, and then sold it for pretty much what I bought it for. I agree with Le Chef: it's an excellent lens that may be all you need. 

• Like 7

Thanks all of you guys. could you share the picture from this lens?

i think i will try it first :) 

because i have used this focal length when i use canon eos m and the quality is not good but it's quite ok as a kit zoom lens. 

the only thing that i worry about it's not fast lens that will get some problem with low light. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You won't get any indication of lens IQ from pictures uploaded to the forum, but if you want to try, just look through the CL and TL2 picture threads - you'll see far more there than you'll get here.

The 'reputation' of this lens is denigrated by those who have not used it and are new to Leica. Anyone who uses their own judgement to appraise the lens can see that it is excellent. Leica just does not do lenses that fall into the category of a 'cheap, low quality kit lens'.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, oudjunk said:

Thanks all of you guys. could you share the picture from this lens?

i think i will try it first :) 

because i have used this focal length when i use canon eos m and the quality is not good but it's quite ok as a kit zoom lens. 

the only thing that i worry about it's not fast lens that will get some problem with low light. 

You should also go to LFI gallery where you can filter by camera and see the lens used for the shot. https://lfi-online.de/ceemes/en/gallery/q-mastershots.html

If you find a nice deal for used CL/TL2 + 18-56. It is good 

But if you are buying a brand new CL Vario kit. You’ll be better off with the Q2. Even with 28-35-50-75 mm crop mode taken into account, it will produce better results than TL 18-56. 
Of course if you got M or R lenses or planning to buy other L-mount lenses. Buy the CL 

To sum up Q2 provides variable sized sensor equivalent to 28-35-50-75mm with constant f/1.7 aperture. 
Vs 28-85mm zoom with variable f/3.5-5.6 

With CL and TL2 you get constant 24MP. Q2 provides 47-30-15-7MP

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Leica just does not do lenses that fall into the category of a 'cheap, low quality kit lens'.

Nobody does this (anymore?). So called kit lenses are mostly excellent, being as they tend to be not so fast and limited in focal length - the superzoom type lenses are another matter which do sacrifice quality for convenience.

Kit lenses are great value because the manufacturers know they will sell high volumes - economies of scale etc. 

A while ago I compared the Canon 18-55 'kit' with their superior f2.8 version (said to be equal quality to their full frame L range) and at the same apertures I couldn't see any difference in quality. 

Back in the day a prime 50mm f1.8 or f2 lens was the usual 'kit' lens with a new SLR. 

23 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Nobody does this (anymore?). So called kit lenses are mostly excellent, being as they tend to be not so fast and limited in focal length - the superzoom type lenses are another matter which do sacrifice quality for convenience.

Kit lenses are great value because the manufacturers know they will sell high volumes - economies of scale etc. 

A while ago I compared the Canon 18-55 'kit' with their superior f2.8 version (said to be equal quality to their full frame L range) and at the same apertures I couldn't see any difference in quality. 

Back in the day a prime 50mm f1.8 or f2 lens was the usual 'kit' lens with a new SLR. 

I was thinking of just this Canon combination. Around 2009 I bought a Canon 550D and took the more expensive midrange zoom instead of the standard one on offer. I noticed a difference at the time, but it is too long ago now to give remember exactly.

Have only just purchased the CL along with the 18-56mm lens.  I gotta say that the image quality is excellent.  as a previous post stated, it's sharp corner to corner.  Yes it's 'not a fast lens', but in all honesty, the image quality from the sensor at higher ISOs is excellent.  and as someone else pointed out,  don't mistake this for your typical 'kit lens' (equating 'kit lens' with cheap mass produced lens to get starter photographer going ).  Its far removed from that. Leica just dont do 'cheap'.  I had a Fuji system and the Fujinon 18-55mm.  This was a cracking lens.  The Leica in my opinion is better, much better!

The question might be if you need a fast 35mm alongside the zoom in low light situation and family inside photography. I assume that the zoom is a bit slow and that you get easily ISOs that are outside the optimal range. If true you will have to start with the versatile zoom plus a fast fix focus lens 23mm 2.0  or even the 35mm.

Edited by M10 for me
wrong focal lenght