Sign in to follow this  
DRWWE

Question about lens firmware

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi.  I'm new here and apologize is this has been discussed previously, but I couldn't find it when searching.  I have a new CL camera which came with the 18-56mm Vario lens.  I've owned it for just over a month and love it.  I just bought the Summarit 23mm prime lens but when I attached it to the camera, I got the message "Lens firmware not supported.  Please update firmware."  Can't look through the lens, can't access the menu, just get the message.  I've looked around on Google to find the firmware and all I found on the Leica website was instructions to install said firmware (it looks easy to do) but couldn't figure out what file to download (nothing that I could find was clearly labeled for the lens or "L" mounts).  I'm new to Leica and have always used Nikon and have never before had an occasion where I attached a new lens to a camera and couldn't even look through it.    Will I have to deal with this whenever I add a new lens?  

With my Vario lens attached, I can acess the menu and it says Camera Firmware 3.1 and lens firmware 1.1.  Again, I can't access the menu with the new lens attached.  

Still waiting for Leica's technical support to respond, so I hoped someone here knew the answer to my problem.  

I just received my new CL, which was still on it’s 1.0 firmware. I updated the camera and as I mounted each new lens (35/1.4, 11-23 and 55-135) the camera automatically updated the lenses so I would first confirm your camera firmware is up to date. If it’s not do the update and then mount each lens.

If your camera does what mine did you’ll see a message about the lens firmware update happening after you mount the lens and power the camera up.

Edited by Gregm61

Thanks for replying.  Today is my day off and since I have the time, I've been playing with the camera and searching through this site since making my initial post.  I found a reply in a different thread that suggesting taking the battery out and replacing it after attaching the lens.  I did that, turned on the camera, and received the message that you just described.  It seems to be working just fine.  

If you have not updated your camera to the latest firmware which is v.3.1 then it is well worth doing so. There’s more flexibility on how you can configure the buttons and wheels on the top plate. When you do that update the camera will automatically install the new lens firmware when you mount each lens.