Sigma SIGMA Mount Converter MC-21 and Lens Zeiss Distagon 2.8/21 ZE

spassig123

If the lens has an aperture ring, and does not have AF or IS, then a cheapo lens adapter will work very well.  There is not electronic communication between body and lens - so no need for expensive adapters.

The Sigma MC-21 is not supported by the original SL (like mine) but I have great results with Canon mount lenses.  With Canon branded EF lenses, I lose AF and control of aperture but the results of my EF 20/2.8 are sensational.

{enclosed truncated image downloaded from Facebook... I can't find the .DNG!}

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by SonomaBear
  • Like 2

vor 17 Minuten schrieb SonomaBear:

If the lens has an aperture ring, and does not have AF or IS, then a cheapo lens adapter will work very well.  There is not electronic communication between body and lens - so no need f

Thanks

The Zeiss hasn't an aperture ring.

The Zeiss has a distance ring.

The Zeiss has lot of electronic contacts on bayonet connection.

The Zeiss works well with Canon EOS 5D Mark 3.

Jochen

8 hours ago, spassig123 said:

Have someone tested successfully above combination?

My lens has Canon EF bajonett.
None autofocus and stabilisation inside.

Does LEICA SL2  support this combination?

Jochen

my zeiss milvus EF lenses work fine with the Novoflex adapter. Haven't tried the more reasonably priced Sigma adapter.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The only Zeiss lens I have is the 100mm Makro Plannar in EF mount. I do have several other manual focus EF lenses from Canon, Sigma and Rokinon though. All of them work with the MC21 on the SL2. All of them work with the Novoflex adaptor on the SL2. Manual focus EF lenses seem to adapt particularly well to the L mount. Aperture control works. EXIF is in tact. IBIS works as expected.

The lenses you want to use will have no issues, being MF. They'll operate like they do on a Canon body. AF can be slow/flakey with some lenses if you go that route but I'm having far more success with the SL2 than I did with the SL1, in that regard.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography

vor 2 Stunden schrieb FlashGordonPhotography:

The only Zeiss lens I have is the 100mm Makro Plannar in EF mount. I do have several other manual focus EF lenses from Canon, Sigma and Rokinon though. All of them work with the MC21 on the SL2. All of them work with the Novoflex adaptor on the SL2. Manual focus EF lenses seem to adapt particularly well to the L mount. Aperture control works. EXIF is in tact. IBIS works as expected.

The lenses you want to use will have no issues, being MF. They'll operate like they do on a Canon body. AF can be slow/flakey with some lenses if you go that route but I'm having far more success with the SL2 than I did with the SL1, in that regard.

Gordon

That sounds good. I will test it.

I‘m waiting for SL2.

No info in germany for availability in Leica store Wetzlar or webshop.

Jochen

17 hours ago, spassig123 said:

Did it work with Leica SL2?

Jochen

I can now only speak specifically for the Ziess 100/2 Makro on the SL2. All of my other EF mount Zeiss lenses (21, 35, 50, 85, 135) worked fine on the SL, but have since been sold. I have no reason to believe that it would fail on the SL2. The few Canon EF lenses I retain seem to work identically on the SL as they did on the SL2 (17 and 24 TS lenses).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spassig123 said:

Did it work with Leica SL2?

Jochen

The Sigma MC-21 EF to L mount converter works on the SL2. It did not work on the SL601.

I only have experience with the Canon 400mm f4 on the SL2, it works in AFs mode, it is not super fast, but is acceptable & accurate, with full aperture control & EXIF. I think with the wider & shorter lenses it should work even better than the telephotos on the SL2.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 2:15 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Gordon

I’m thinking of getting the Canon 85/1.2 with the mc21.   Would you recommend?  Is AFs decent ? picture quality good? 

1 hour ago, NRKstudio said:

I’m thinking of getting the Canon 85/1.2 with the mc21.   Would you recommend?  Is AFs decent ? picture quality good? 

Can’t help you there, sorry. I haven’t owned an 85 1.2L for 10 years. Well before the SL. The Sigma 85mm 1.4 art works OK though. Not a sports lens but AF is fine for portraits. But since `I have the SL90mm SUmmicron I don’t tend to use anything else.

Gordon

NRKStudio
I think you should be aware that MC-21 is fine if you already have a lens and want to continue using it. But if I buy a new lens, then I would go to a native lens. So I would prefer the Sigma 1.4/85 (in L-mount) to the Canon. I would only buy the Canon if there is no equivalent with L-mount available.
Less important for wide-angle, more important the longer the lens gets. (Adapted is never equivalent to native.) Sometimes the difference is very small (e.g. T/S lenses).

As much as I heard the Canon lens is not fast focusing on native cameras, so it will probably be even worse when adapted.

Edited by caissa
  • Thanks 1

If you want minimal DoF go for the Sigma 1.8/135.  (excellent, but big, very affordable). You find examples in the image collection.   Or maybe the Sigma 1.4/105, if 135 is too long for you. I think it is available now (or very soon).   (But it is even bigger.)

Edited by caissa

2 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Can’t help you there, sorry. I haven’t owned an 85 1.2L for 10 years. Well before the SL. The Sigma 85mm 1.4 art works OK though. Not a sports lens but AF is fine for portraits. But since `I have the SL90mm SUmmicron I don’t tend to use anything else.

Gordon

Ah the Cron is out of my price range.  I have the 50 Cron, but I’m using Art to fill in the rest of my usual AF FOV (now: 28/1.4, 35/1.2, and planned 85/1.4 and 105/1.4).  But I wanted to see if I could use an alternative besides the Art line (and Pana) which was both AF and affordable; thus the 85/1.2 fit the bill as well as other Canon adapted lenses like the new Tamron 35/1.8 which is both sharp and pretty small.

• 4 months later...
On 1/17/2020 at 5:53 PM, sebas_ said:

I have picked up my SL2 today and was using using the sigma + Zeiss Milvus 35 ZE without any issues 

How large is this combo? I'm curious to see how much length is given to the lens with the adapter. The Milvus 35 1.4 is already a very long lens.