Wide AND fast Lenses for M-Mount

SpriteSir

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey people,

i had a hard time looking for wide lenses that are still quite fast that fit on the leica m mount.  For Example the Summilux 21.
I want to use it for night shots, focal lenght between 10-21mm. Right now i'm using a Voigtländer 15mm 4.5.

I know that the selection of these types of lenses is quite shallow but maybe you have tips. 

Thank you and have a good day, Max

Hello Max

its. a great lens although many pointed out that it has quite a few aberrations due to compromises made for size.

I had a look at your lovely Instagram account and I dont think you should be affected for the type of things that you do

there are a few threads on this topic on here that you may find useful - I did read them before purchasing my second hand copy

Fedro

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Fedro:

Hello Max

its. a great lens although many pointed out that it has quite a few aberrations due to compromises made for size.

I had a look at your lovely Instagram account and I dont think you should be affected for the type of things that you do

there are a few threads on this topic on here that you may find useful - I did read them before purchasing my second hand copy

Fedro

Hello Fedro, thank you very much for your kind words! 
What second hand copy did you get?

vor 2 Stunden schrieb jankap:

Here are several asian companies offering M-lenses in the last time. Google, Photo rumors, ..

Thank you. This thread was supposed to be about smaller brands like that, i was hoping somebody would have some suggestions for these kind of lenses. If that has been discussed already, i am sorry.

27 minutes ago, SpriteSir said:

Hello Fedro, thank you very much for your kind words! 
What second hand copy did you get?

Thank you. This thread was supposed to be about smaller brands like that, i was hoping somebody would have some suggestions for these kind of lenses. If that has been discussed already, i am sorry.

21 Summilux

Mine arrived late last week. Have not had a chance to do much more than tweak the RF collar, which interesting was far more difficult to get spot on than the longer Artisans fast lenses I have (28/1.4 and 75/1.25), I assume due to the wide DOF. I have done some some quick technical tests, which show remarkably little barrel distortion and less vignetting than I expected. The sharpness in the corners, wide open is also a pleasant surprise. Now it would be stupid to expect it to be equal to a 21mm Summilux but really I just don't know how they produce such a good lens for the price. It seems very well and solidly made. I  will try to take some real photos later this week and post as examples. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Recently I had the chance to try three China created wide angle lenses on Leica M240 and Sony A7II.  7Artisans 28mm/1.4, TTartisan 21mm/1.5, and Laowa  Zero Distortion 12mm/2.8.

7Artisans and TTArtisan are from the same factory, they look like two brothers of sisters in the same family. Only different in the focal length. Laowa was 12mm/2.8 is Canon EF with EF to LM mount adapter s must be used with EVF.

These three are extremely worth to recommend. You can google to find many reviews. 

Personally I will pick  Laowa 12mm/2.8 to be the best among any non-Leica lenses (apple to orange?). I simply cannot find any other alternative that is even close in terms of IQ, including Voigtlander and Sigma,  It might be insulting, but even compare to Leica WATE.  The nonLM mount does not bother me, thanks for the EVF. I think this is the only 35mm equivalent to Hasselblad 38mm and 40mm FLE. 

For faster speed, after compared with Leica 21mm/1.4 on Sony A7Rii, to admit stupidly, I cannot choose from Leica if I ignore their price (Yeah, I am not a trained lens review experts,, but its an easy job when price is factored in). With the help from friends, Leica steps out when using on LM240 with the correct on camera lens compensation. I think none of them are portrait friendly unless the people are in the middle 1/3 of the frame, including Leica 21mm/1.4.

1 hour ago, Einst_Stein said:

Recently I had the chance to try three China created wide angle lenses on Leica M240 and Sony A7II.  7Artisans 28mm/1.4, TTartisan 21mm/1.5, and Laowa  Zero Distortion 12mm/2.8.

7Artisans and TTArtisan are from the same factory, they look like two brothers of sisters in the same family. Only different in the focal length. Laowa was 12mm/2.8 is Canon EF with EF to LM mount adapter s must be used with EVF.

These three are extremely worth to recommend. You can google to find many reviews. 

Personally I will pick  Laowa 12mm/2.8 to be the best among any non-Leica lenses (apple to orange?). I simply cannot find any other alternative that is even close in terms of IQ, including Voigtlander and Sigma,  It might be insulting, but even compare to Leica WATE.  The nonLM mount does not bother me, thanks for the EVF. I think this is the only 35mm equivalent to Hasselblad 38mm and 40mm FLE. 

For faster speed, after compared with Leica 21mm/1.4 on Sony A7Rii, to admit stupidly, I cannot choose from Leica if I ignore their price (Yeah, I am not a trained lens review experts,, but its an easy job when price is factored in). With the help from friends, Leica steps out when using on LM240 with the correct on camera lens compensation. I think none of them are portrait friendly unless the people are in the middle 1/3 of the frame, including Leica 21mm/1.4.

7artisans and TTartisan are two different companies.