Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got my first CL about a year ago.  I have been a Leica person for a long time (started with Minolta SLR's with Leica mounts in the 70's), to Leica R SLR's, to the R8 & DMR, then M's film & digital).  I got the CL, for IR photography.  I wanted a high quality camera to convert and to be able to use the two dozen or so Leica M and R lenses that I have.  I sent it off for conversion after only having it a few days.  I loved it so much, that I had to get another.  I now have two, one IR converted, the other not.  I have all the TL primes, and now I find I am using it way more than my SL, M's (M6, M246, M10) and SL.  Am I crazy?

Originally, I thought of it as some sort of advanced 'point and shoot', but it is way more than that.   Yes, 24mp and cropped, but it produces some really amazing images.  I should not be surprised, I have 3X2 ft prints on my wall produced by the Epson RD-1 and Leica glass.  But, I still was.

Yes, for some, it may be a Leica entry point (good for them), but it is a very fine tool for us all.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Danno_photoguy:

I got my first CL about a year ago.  I have been a Leica person for a long time (started with Minolta SLR's with Leica mounts in the 70's), to Leica R SLR's, to the R8 & DMR, then M's film & digital).  I got the CL, for IR photography.  I wanted a high quality camera to convert and to be able to use the two dozen or so Leica M and R lenses that I have.  I sent it off for conversion after only having it a few days.  I loved it so much, that I had to get another.  I now have two, one IR converted, the other not.  I have all the TL primes, and now I find I am using it way more than my SL, M's (M6, M246, M10) and SL.  Am I crazy?

Originally, I thought of it as some sort of advanced 'point and shoot', but it is way more than that.   Yes, 24mp and cropped, but it produces some really amazing images.  I should not be surprised, I have 3X2 ft prints on my wall produced by the Epson RD-1 and Leica glass.  But, I still was.

Yes, for some, it may be a Leica entry point (good for them), but it is a very fine tool for us all.

Hi Danno, I'm too started with the CL one year ago, swapping from my SL due to heavy weight. I got the TL 23 and 18-56. Since 2 month I bought a used M Summarit 35 mm F/2,5. I'm so glad with my decision and have so much fun with my Leica equipment. The results the CL and I'm delievering are for me absolut fantastic. I'm not missing the SL.

Edited by d_w_wolves
edit

The CL is the modern, digital equivalent of the original Leica, the one we now call the Barnack. The Barnack was a success because it was small, light, discreet, and used media that everyone said was too cropped for 'real' photography. Many people on this forum dismiss the CL because it has a crop sensor, without figuring that every camera has a crop sensor, and understanding that it's the images that count, not the label on the sensor.

Edited by LocalHero1953

4 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Many people on this forum dismiss the CL because it has a crop sensor, without figuring that every camera has a crop sensor, and understanding that it's the images that count, not the label on the sensor.

So true.......

52 minutes ago, ejk64 said:

my coherent whole (aesthetic and technical) : CL + summaron-m 28/5.6 :

So your exhibition ends today?

Do you have a website where we can see the photos?

To all those who belittle the CL because of its "cropped" sensor: 35 mm film photography, with the same image size as what is now called a "full frame" sensor, was originally called "miniature photography".

The only meaningful use of the term "cropped sensor" is to refer to a sensor that does not record all of the image produced by a given lens.

The CL is one of my favourite Leicas and I’m surprised by its comparative lack of success. It is my go to camera for holidays and street photography, usually paired with M lenses, although the tiny 18/2.8 is a stellar performer.
I often take it along as a second camera too, tucked away in a coat pocket.

5 hours ago, Viv said:

To all those who belittle the CL because of its "cropped" sensor: 35 mm film photography, with the same image size as what is now called a "full frame" sensor, was originally called "miniature photography".

The only meaningful use of the term "cropped sensor" is to refer to a sensor that does not record all of the image produced by a given lens.

The funny thing is that a medium large print (17"x22") from the CL is razor sharp, far better than 35mm film ever was... 

Edited by geoffreyg

Got to admit to being a bit obsessed with my CL. Keeping the Q for and AF (and undecided on keeping the TL 35mm lens because it's so damn big) but love it with M lenses.

The 35mm M Summilux is amazing but it's the tiny 28mm Elmarit that stays on most of the time. I want as good an image as possible from the smallest package possible and this is pretty ideal. I would have liked a dedicated shutter speed dial but can't have it all.

37 minutes ago, bandrews said:

The 35mm M Summilux is amazing but it's the tiny 28mm Elmarit that stays on most of the time. I want as good an image as possible from the smallest package possible and this is pretty ideal.

Agree that M lenses are great on the CL and the 18mm and 23mm TL lenses are small.  I just got the 60mm TL yesterday, close in size to the 35mm TL, but a lot lighter.  May be too big for you. but given the (lack of) weight, it works for me and is really high quality.  

I got the CL and TL2 as my entry point to Leica. I have had Canons, Panasonics and Olympus. They all produced good images, but there's just something special about a Leica.

I started with the TL2 then stumbled on a killer deal on a CL. ($1699 with grip, 3 batteries and thumbs up all in mint condition.) [Thanks, Leica store Miami!!]

I liked the CL better so I sold off the TL2.

So far, I have the 35mm, 60mm and the 18-56 zoom and love them all. 

Selling off the M1 MKII soon.

I loved my Q and figured I'd get the CL for birding. That was a year ago. Except on a trip or two, I've not touched the Q, and I'm likely selling it soon. The CL takes photos that are closer to the aesthetic I'm looking for, and it is way, way cooler!

I've owned a few different Leica's, I wish I could of kept them all, unfortunately it has never been financially possible to do that.

The best ever kit I ever had was definitely the Noctilux f1 E58 with the MM1, I also had an M9 at this time. Oh man, that E58 Noctilux was AMAZING!

The kit I have managed to keep the longest and still own it is the CL, 11-23, 35 lux, 55-135. To me personally, this is the best kit, light compact and covers all my needs, although I must say, the 55-135 is not getting used so much, the 11-23 is on the body most of the time. I have one eye open for a Sigma 20mm f1.4 Art lens. mmmmm, maybe for my birthday.

The CL is a great camera with superb IQ.

Forgot to mention, I also have had my Leica T converted to 820 IR as I LOVE Infrared photography, even portraiture with the 35 lux, is weird but wonderful with the right model.

Edited by Marac