28 Cron f2 - V2 or Leica Q-P?

thedwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an M10-P with 50mm Lux...wanting to add a 28MM. What are the thoughts on picking up a 28mm Summicron F2 vs a Q-P with the 28lux 1.7? 

I know the obvious things like QP has AF, and it's another body to carry, etc. but what about image quality?

Does anyone have either of these combos? and what are your preferences?

Thanks!

Well -- thinking only of myself in this situation - You already have the M10-P and a 50 Lux - so I would add the QP w/28 Lux. Now you have two bodies that you can use at the same time. But that's just how I would answer your question.

I was out of the Leica world for a few years. I've come back and started with the ME typ240. Then bought a 50 Summicron Safari to go with it. I then bought a Leica QP. I then bought a Voigt 21mm f/1.8. I then picked up a 35mm Summilux pre from an old photo buddy of mine. That's a long answer but you see where I started my second time around with Leica. M body w/50 and a QP.

• Like 1

I had a similar setup, actually started with the Q-P and added M with a 50 lux. To me, the bottom line is whether you’re needing/wanting autofocus. The manual focus on Q is cute, but focus peaking seems to lack the precision or flexibility of an M lens (eg zone focusing, hyperfocal). I traded the Q for a 28mm Elmarit, and with the ISO capabilities of the M10, have not looked back. Q and any of the 28mm M lenses are sharp as a tack, but SOOC, colors are better via M. I’ll add that the Macro function of the Q is sweet, but not a necessity for me.

I have a SL with 28 f/2.8 Elmarit and I have a beloved Q. They are different tools for different opportunities.

Q is for travel and street. It’s IQ is phenomenal and features galore (macro, AF, MF etc) and is great in low light opportunities.

The SL with Elmarit is my image maker with IQ beyond description!  It has a rendering which shows Mandler Magic. 

JMHO, but I would get the Q-P over the CL. 

The 28mm Summicron M is a truly excellent lens and is roughly similar in price to the Q-P.  Both would give you a full frame 28mm perspective, but adding the Q-P would give you a backup camera in the event that your M10-P breaks and needs to be sent in for repair. 

As for the XPro3, I would pass on that.  I have the X100F which I got as a backup to my M-P 240.  It's a nice camera but its menu system and controls are just too complicated and fiddly IMHO.  It is also an APS-C camera where the Q-P is a full frame camera; that becomes a factor if you want to make large prints. 

The Leica Q cameras are less fiddly than the Fuji cameras in my experience; keeping your gear simple and straightforward makes using it easier and decreases the chances of missing shots and other mistakes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thedwp said:

Was it because you didn't like to carry to bodies? Just curious? 

First and foremost, no matter what the Q2 offer, i was personally more comfortable with the M, and and i love keeping my options as compact as possible so rather than having Q as backup, i rather hav the other M

and my be it’s down to personal taste, but i just more enjoy shooting with the M in the end

for the extra time, when u r thinking bout Q, dont consider other options, since literally only leica made this, it is one of its own 🤪, cant explain in details but yeah, you might probably end up disappointed 

Edited by jakontil
Additional info
  • Like 1

Strange as it may seem, I am able to work much more quickly with either my M4-P or my M-P 240 than with my Q2, even though the Q2 has autofocus.

With my M cameras, I am able to pre-focus and wait for the moment.  With my Q2, I have to put the cross-hairs on my main subject, press the shutter release halfway down, get the green +, hold the shutter release down and then recompose because the green + is usually not where I need it to be.  Most of the time in documentary and street photography, there is no time to lower the Q2 and move the green + around on the touch screen.

Moral of the story?  Don't let anyone ever tell you that manual focus is slow and archaic.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 5

@Herr Barnack Moral of the story - understand the strengths and weaknesses of the instrument and use field AF with the Q/Q2, in case of the Q2 try face detection. It works amazingly well in the streets 😎

@thedwp If you buy a Q2 (I would not go for a Q anymore today), you essentially get a fully automated camera you can hand to others, doing some close focus stuff, having e-shutter etc etc. A tech monster compared to an M. I really liked the Q alongside to my M9. The 2/28 on the other side has nothing of that, but allows for a smaller package (1 cam, two lenses). I would just try out a Q2 in a shop and if you can, rent it over the weekend and give it a swing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I agree with other posts on this matter. I have not had the 28/2 but did shoot the 28/2.8 on my M7. I too prefer my M7 and M246 to the q-p and now currently the q2. With that said, I do enjoy the q2 as well. Don’t underestimate the close focus of the q2 compared to any M. I enjoy it often. Also I Like pulling out the Q2 when the weather is pretty bad out. I don’t think twice about getting it wet or snow covered. I never had a problem in all these years with the M7 or recently the M246, but I also never would pull over in a pouring rain and step out of the truck to shoot something either!

In the end its really just a totally different shooting experience with the two and I would also echo that I would take a Q2 out for a spin and see what you think. ( Not to be too confusing, but I did love the q-p; however, honestly the weather sealing and yes even the 47mp swayed me to the Q2).