Sleepysloth

M10M Announcement & M246 Used Prices

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Now that the Monochrom M10 is going to be announced shortly, what do you think will be the knock on effect to the M246 used prices in the short to medium term? 😊I saw one in the wild around a month ago on Red Dot Cameras for £3900.

I've been eyeing a used m246 for awhile but cautiously waiting to see what happens with the Monochrome M10 announcement.

Appreciate any responses,

Thanks!

My opinion is the M246 sh price will not drop, that is only my opinion based on my biaised vison of the nice Monochrom M (typ 246).

Not so many people bought new at the high price of the M246 (new 7600€ in France), and those are very scarse second hand.

Big second hand market, there must be first hand market before that.

Even the first Monochrom (CCD) has the sh pricing "high" today after some 8 years (and "continuous " sensor problems ...and  the M246 has no problem to be resolved).

I've purchased mine sh at 1/2 of the new price, because I didn't want to pay the new price and already have the first version Monochrom that I always appreciate.

I waited long time for that.

Edited by a.noctilux

Well, there are offerings by some dealers for limited editions new  M Typ 246 (engraved with "Leitz Wetzlar") with a gratuit calf leather bag for 5.995 € (instead of 7.495 + bag).

So if you see a considerable price drop for new items I do not expect second hand prices will not go down as well.

Though if it is true that there are not so many Typ 246 in the hands of first market customers, it is fair to assume that there is not much pressure on the second hand market which will lower the price.  

Edited by UliWer

2 hours ago, Sleepysloth said:

I saw one in the wild around a month ago on Red Dot Cameras for £3900.

Both Red Dot and Leica Mayfair have been selling new 246 bodies for £4750 for a while AFAIK.....

My M246 will not be hitting S/H market any time, after 4 years of trouble free service it is not going anywhere.

Slightly off topic,  it will be interesting to see what base ISO is going to be, if lower than ISO 320 it would be welcome development, on the other hand I cant envisage, if 41 Mp rumour is true, major improvement in high ISO over M246 due to the increased pixel count.  Slim body like M10 is for showing off.

13 hours ago, mmradman said:

Slightly off topic,  it will be interesting to see what base ISO is going to be, if lower than ISO 320 it would be welcome development, on the other hand I cant envisage, if 41 Mp rumour is true, major improvement in high ISO over M246 due to the increased pixel count.  Slim body like M10 is for showing off.

Leica Rumors says ISO 160... and they have an image of the ISO dial to prove it.

Edited by james.liam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, james.liam said:

Leica Rumors says ISO 160... and they have an image of the ISO dial to prove it.

Native ISO of 160 would be good however Orange Filter on the lens on the M246 when shooting in daylight works pretty much the same in enabling camera to shoot in good light with the range of shutter speeds/aperture.

I definitely welcome new M10M and looking forward to reading usual reviews and accolades, also some criticism whether founded or unfounded.  

My M246 is not going anywhere.