Recommendation on negative scanner

dimm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

37 minutes ago, madNbad said:

This took a few years to put together:

Sony A7II, FE90 2.8 G Macro, Negative Supply Pro Carrier 35 with Pro Riser MK 2, 5X7 Lightsource Pro 95 CRI

Very nice setup. That's kind of what I am thinking...

On 10/20/2022 at 9:32 PM, UliWer said:

The whole thread illustrates that a new dedicated film scanner is overdue by the company which is still producing cameras for film…

If Kodak was smart they would produce a high quality scanner along the lines of the Nikon 5000ED / 9000ED that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

But from first hand experience I can attest that Kodak may have the worst management in history. Their engineers are (were?) brilliant, their film stocks and chemistry are in a league of their own, but management couldn't find their way out of a phone booth with a map.

When you look at their history over the last 40 years it's a sad tale of missed opportunities and screw ups on an epic scale.

• Like 1

I have an X5, pretty much unused. The only annoying thing is it’s yet to get up and go running because I don’t have a dedicated computer that can run the 32bit software needed for it. Exploring options of just getting an old windows computer somewhere. Such a shame Hasselblad has not updated the software since 2011 despite discontinuing the hardware in 2018.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by maxfairclough
  • Like 1

Also have a pretty heavy set up at the moment in the meantime. This can do 35mm, 120 and pretty much everything else. GFX 100 etc.

p Edited by maxfairclough
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 11:00 PM, maxfairclough said:

I have an X5, pretty much unused. The only annoying thing is it’s yet to get up and go running because I don’t have a dedicated computer that can run the 32bit software needed for it. Exploring options of just getting an old windows computer somewhere. Such a shame Hasselblad has not updated the software since 2011 despite discontinuing the hardware in 2018.  

I also have an X5 and run it on an older intel Mac with a Firewire 800 port. Hands down he best scanner I've used, but I need to secure a few replacement bulbs...

Not a cheap unit, but I priced the cost of getting hundreds of negatives scanned by a service bureau and it actually was cheaper to buy a used X5. Luckily I found a used one at a very good price that had just been fully serviced

Edited by thrid

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/24/2022 at 8:00 AM, maxfairclough said:

Just get an old Mac Mini (2012 version) and you're set.

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2022 at 7:00 AM, maxfairclough said:

Is it Windows software? You should be able to run it in compatability mode. Maybe anyway! 

• Thanks 1

Re contact sheets - This may be well-known to folks here but it was new to me since I'm coming back to film after a 20+ year absence.  I apologize if the general reaction is "No S^&T, why are you wasting our time with this?  🤬

I bought a plustek 8100 scanner and after a week of futzing with it and the Silverfast settings/adjustments, I am quite pleased with it.  But I wanted a contact sheet rather than scanning each neg individually to see if I like it.  And I didn't want to buy another scanner or futz around too much with other equipment.  I ran across this method on-line and it works great for me with my 16" MacBook Pro and iPhone.  I'm sure Windows computers/other phones can do the same thing..

I put all negs in a negative file sheet.   On the Mac I go to "Pages" and set up a full screen blank page.  This becomes a "light box."  I Place the neg sheet against the screen and take a pic with my iPhone.  I "Air Drop" the pic to the MacBook.  Now I have a "contact sheet" of the negatives and open it in "Preview."  In Preview "tools" I move the white point slider all the way to the left and the black point slider approx 1/4 way to the right.  This inverts the image and now the negs are positive.  You can play with the position of the black point slider to change the level of brightness/contrast of the contact sheet.  It is quick and there is no other gear to set up or cables/cards to move around.  

The process takes less than two minutes to produce a contact sheet and even through the translucent negative sheet, the results are plenty good enough to determine which negatives are worth scanning.  Clear negative sheets would, of course, provide a sharper contact sheet.  OR, for the sharpest contact sheet you could also lay the computer on its "back" so the screen is facing the ceiling and lay the negatives directly on the screen/take the pic but you'd need a sheet of glass over them to keep them flat.  

Again, I apologize for taking up the space/post if everybody but me already knows this or a better/faster way!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just noticed there may be an update to Pacific Image scanners according to BH. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1731752-REG/plustek_primefilm_xa_plus_scanner.html. Apparently a so called Plus edition to two scanners and stating 'scanning roll films has never been easier'. I'm not getting my hopes up but if they've made improvements to useable batch scanning it would be nice.

1 hour ago, archive_all said:

I just noticed there may be an update to Pacific Image scanners according to BH. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1731752-REG/plustek_primefilm_xa_plus_scanner.html. Apparently a so called Plus edition to two scanners and stating 'scanning roll films has never been easier'. I'm not getting my hopes up but if they've made improvements to useable batch scanning it would be nice.

This is interesting.. if they r as reliable optically but only time can tell..

I might be interested to swap my plustek8200

• 9 months later...

Bumping this one. I am into to perhaps buy the new generation of Plustek 8300i, anyone have it? However, I also noticed a Nikon LS-50 for grabs similar price, but it is like what, 20 years old? Not sure what to do here. I guess the Plustek is very decent and good, similar IQ and perhaps when it comes to pixel peeping, the Nikon is far superior? 

Any inputs? 

14 minutes ago, Borna said:

Bumping this one. I am into to perhaps buy the new generation of Plustek 8300i, anyone have it? However, I also noticed a Nikon LS-50 for grabs similar price, but it is like what, 20 years old? Not sure what to do here. I guess the Plustek is very decent and good, similar IQ and perhaps when it comes to pixel peeping, the Nikon is far superior? 

Any inputs? 

Buy the Plustek. They're new, produce good results and plug in to the computer without needing a string of connectors and cords. The bundled software works well but does take some time to learn how to get the best results. I used a 7200i for a few years before moving to camera scanning. The results were good but it was slow. The advantage is, it doesn't take up much desk space, the holders keep the film flat and over good results for the price.

9 hours ago, Borna said:

Any inputs? 

I have the Plustek 8100, and it works fine. Not exceptional or great, but adequate. For color neg film, I make raw scans with Vuescan and invert with Negative Lab Pro. It's the best color scanning workflow I've had in the last 20 years. I find Silverfsat a bit annoying to use, but some people like it.  Give Vuescan a try if you haven't.

I would also always prefer a scanner to a camera setup. Even if he works slower. I have the scanner, here a Nikon Coolscan, standing next to my desk. So I can already start with the image processing while the scanner is running. And so it doesn't matter to me how long the scanner takes to record the image. Since I don't have that much space available, I always have to assemble and disassemble a camera.
I use Vuescan and find it very convenient and very inexpensive. Runs fine on OS-X.

I’m also considering one of the plustek scanners, but have never scanned before. Looking to scan b&w negatives (HP5+) primarily, maybe some colour.

I use a Mac and Lightroom Classic. 

Is there a benefit to the 8300 over the 8200, and is the SE version more than enough or does the AI version have anything worthwhile.

I also don’t know if all the software needed comes with the scanner, or if it’s possible to scan directly into Lightroom with a plug-in.

9 hours ago, Nick-- said:

I’m also considering one of the plustek scanners, but have never scanned before. Looking to scan b&w negatives (HP5+) primarily, maybe some colour.

I use a Mac and Lightroom Classic. 

Is there a benefit to the 8300 over the 8200, and is the SE version more than enough or does the AI version have anything worthwhile.

I also don’t know if all the software needed comes with the scanner, or if it’s possible to scan directly into Lightroom with a plug-in.

I believe the 8300Ai version is faster (do check) but essentially they are the same scanner scan quality wise and the main differences between models is in the bundled Silverfast software. Forget the hyperbole of Plustek's claims of scanning at 7200 dpi, that is an interpolated figure which simply causes larger files, maximum resolution is around 3600 dpi (and that is where its been forever). Some people like Silverfast software, many don't and use Vuescan instead, but if you are mainly scanning B&W negative silver grain films you don't need a scanner or software that has IR dust removal etc. because it won't work anyway, and if you scan only a few colour films just learn to clone out dust in Lightroom. Which brings me to my point about Plustek scanners, if you are doing B&W and don't need a bit more speed or bloated software features buy a model that's a generation or two behind for much less money, ditch Silverfast and use Vuescan. 

(However a 24mp or higher camera, macro lens, copy stand and light source is still a superior and faster means of scanning. Choose wisely and it would be a camera you can use for other things. Scanning with a dedicated film scanner is also a high learning curve to get the most out of the software although they produce acceptable results easily, but still not as easily as a camera setup.)

Thanks @250swb. I had considered using a camera to scan but it seemed a more of a faff and would take up more space - making sure the negatives were flat, light source was good enough quality, building/buying a stand etc. I was hoping the plustek would be smaller and simpler, and a bit more plug and play, though maybe not!

I do have a Fuji XT-2  at home, but no macro lenses. When my son comes home from Uni,  I could use his Fuji X-H2 and 80mm macro.