Recommendation on negative scanner

dimm

Hello Dimm,

I think that the "thing you want" * (automatic batch scanner) doesn't exist anymore.

Kodak used to offer Pakon some years ago (this link to know more).

For more than 12 years, I watched for the "thing" to scan easily ( quick and auto scanner ) my thousands of slides.

My own experiences ...

Begin with Nikon Coolscan V ED just to see that even with the "higher end" 5000 with accessories feeder could not do the job well.

To scan then PP the results take some times.

So "adios this project".

I began to "scan with digital cameras", quicker but something to be desired when film is dusty.

for more infos, have a look here

To make long story short, now I use the Nikon V ED for slides (long but ICE takes care of scratch or dust when needed), for negatives the digital camera scanning

with Beoon + Focotar + M (LV is a must !).

Color negatives can be difficult with "camera scanning"

edit : RPS 10M can do (after searching in the net)

Experiences are only way, I think.

Arnaud

Edited by a.noctilux

I have an Epson V700, newer model V800, it is a good scanner as long as you use the "Professional Epson Scan" and you realize the actual max scanning resolution is 2400ppi or 3200ppi depending on who you ask. You can do 20 slides, 24 negatives at a time at 3200ppi each one takes about 3 minutes. This is a long time if you have a lot of slides. It also can do negatives same restrictions and the reversal is quite good. It does take a bit of calibration on set up.

What I am trying to do is use my CL to do camera digitizing, right now I am getting the workflow to convert color and b&w negatives down. I am doing this on an old Beseler slide duplicator which keeps everything aligned and flat. Taking the image is the easy part, converting it in Photoshop or Lightroom at least for negatives is the hard part. Right now there is enough trial and error that it is no faster than scanning. Slides should be a lot easier.

3 hours ago, A miller said:

if you want to do it right within reason, get a Nikon Coolscan, preferably the 9000 as that would allow you to scan medium format as well.  It is a fantastic machine and all that most people ever need.

Is there any chance to get normal results and not spending $5k+?  

I am not interested in slides, only negatives and only 35mm. If fully automatic mode is not possible, at least "semi-authomatic" - batches of film strips?

2 hours ago, dimm said:

I am not interested in slides, only negatives and only 35mm. If fully automatic mode is not possible, at least "semi-authomatic" - batches of film strips?

Take a look at the Nikon D850, AF-S 60mm micro-nikkor f2.8 lens and ES-2 negative carrier for scanning 35mm negatives.

The Nikon D850 firmware takes care of the conversion to make it easy for you.

Otherwise, look at the Plustek range of 35mm film scanners

Both of these options offer a far better solution than using a BEOON or similar copy stand and M camera.  A cheap flat bed scanner would also be useful for making contact sheets.

Edited by Ouroboros

2 hours ago, dimm said:

the reflecta will batch scan  the whole roll of 35mm

4 hours ago, dimm said:

Sure, look at the coolscan 8000

6 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Take a look at the Nikon D850, AF-S 60mm micro-nikkor f2.8 lens and ES-2 negative carrier for scanning 35mm negatives.

The Nikon D850 firmware takes care of the conversion to make it easy for you.

Otherwise, look at the Plustek range of 35mm film scanners

Both of these options offer a far better solution than using a BEOON or similar copy stand and M camera.  A cheap flat bed scanner would also be useful for making contact sheets.

What the difference between Plustek 8100, 8200AI and 8200 SE?

Everyone walks their own path to find an optimal solution. For me, I started with Plustek scanner and finally settled on BEOON+M240 for slides and B&W negatives. This is very fast. For color negatives I am still not sure. I will keep using Plustek scanner thill I find a good inverting software. 

Just now, darkinners said:

I have been using Plustek 8200i ai, the scanning quality is very high. The only downside is quite slow. 

i noticed if not using negafix it much faster..anyways silverfast noise reduction, scratch removal & unsharpmask  is all crap..i dont use negafix, unsharpmask, noise/scratch removal..and save 50mb TIFFs, its quite fast..

15 hours ago, dimm said:

What the difference between Plustek 8100, 8200AI and 8200 SE?

8100 is the most basic version, come with silverfast SE plus 8

8200 se have additional function "iSRD" it use infrared to detect dust and scratches on film and remove them, also come with silverfast SE plus 8

8200i ai is the flagship model. with "iSRD" and support color calibration. come with silverfast ai Studio 8

all three version have identical image quality and speed, only difference are the features and the edition of Silverfast that comes with. 

4 minutes ago, frame-it said:

i noticed if not using negafix it much faster..anyways silverfast noise reduction, scratch removal & unsharpmask  is all crap..i dont use negafix, unsharpmask, noise/scratch removal..and save 50mb TIFFs, its quite fast..

I think the scratch removal is quite good actually, I don't use the noise reduction and unsharp mask .

It's still slow, at least slower than my old Nikon Coolscan 4000 ED. 

1 minute ago, darkinners said:

I think the scratch removal is quite good actually, I don't use the noise reduction and unsharp mask .

It's still slow, at least slower than my old Nikon Coolscan 4000 ED. 

did you try zooming in to see what silverfast does to the scratch area ?

As a ‘general’ rule, Flatbed scanners are not ideal for 35mm. I know many people use the Epson scanners with success, but overall, I have seen mixed results - the best of which required wet mounting, and it always seemed like a hassle to me. 

I have used the Canon Canoscan 9000 (flatbed), Nikon Coolscan 4000 (35mm only), Kodak Pakon 135+ (35mm only), and now a Noritsu LS-600.  The Noritsu is lab quality scanning, and is the only acceptable option to me today. 

Canoscan 9000 was poor resolution and image quality. Coolscan was great, but SLOW. Pakon was amazing, and fast (uncut roll in ~6 minutes without touching it). Colors were excellent. But resolution was 2000x3000 max and it couldn’t scan E-6 (in my experience, someone else may have figured it out). 

The Noritsu is like the Pakon, but can scan all film types (slides, CN, and B&W), and the resolution is 4000x6000. 

The prices of the Noritsu have shot up. But, I just thought I’d share my experiences. The Pakon might be a good fit for your goals. Not cheap, but, it will make you want to shoot more film with the ease of use. I can’t say the same for the Coolscan, simply because of the slow speed of scanning. 

• Like 1