Artin

Long lens on the SL2 with the MC 21

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Artin said:

I am only interested in Super tele Primes Zooms will not cut it. michali has had some wonderfull images that he has posted on this site very Nice work.

I have had Nikon 300 2.8   400 2.8 and 500 F4  they were all very nice  that is what I am mainly after .. but with my busy scedual this past few years It will most likely be a backyard rig 

You're a much more experienced photographer than I, but I find that for birding a zoom does has the advantage of being to spot small things quickly and then zooming in. That doesn't make up for difference in image quality, but all things being equal.....

Sorry bags when it comes to the quality of those long zooms there is a huge gap.. I just can’t ignore the difference 

Edited by Artin

1 hour ago, bags27 said:

You're a much more experienced photographer than I, but I find that for birding a zoom does has the advantage of being to spot small things quickly and then zooming in. That doesn't make up for difference in image quality, but all things being equal.....

It all really boils down to what you want to use the lens for. I use the Leica VE 90-280mm L for general wildlife,  and the Canon 400mm f4 (plus teleconverters as required) mainly for birding. There's no doubt that the 100-400mm is a more versatile lens, as is the VE90-280mm (albeit too short for birds). However I think that a good fixed telephoto lens with a 1.4x teleconverter will give you better IQ than a zoom and cropping will.

There are no absolutes or right or wrong solutions, it's all dependent on your usage requirements. 

Edited by michali

48 minutes ago, michali said:

It all really boils down to what you want to use the lens for. I use the Leica VE 90-280mm L for general wildlife,  and the Canon 400mm f4 (plus teleconverters as required) mainly for birding. There's no doubt that the 100-400mm is a more versatile lens, as is the VE90-280mm (albeit too short for birds). However I think that a good fixed telephoto lens with a 1.4x teleconverter will give you better IQ than a zoom and cropping will.

There are no absolutes or right or wrong solutions, it's all dependent on your usage requirements. 

+1. Also, in general terms, the quality of the oof rendering is more relaxed, the flaring is better controlled and the build quality/weather sealing even better on a fixed focal length lens compared to a zoom. In general terms. 

Edited by helged

Bird photography starts at 500+ so probably 500 and 1.4x are a good start, canon has a nice 500, 600 and 800 in the lineup. I never had any chance to shoot Leica modular Telyts in the deep past, seems we will never see Leica make a lens for real wild life shooting in the L mount. The canon 400 DO is a nice light lens but it is a tad too short unless you’re lucky @michali at his African safaris where birds are in abundance and close by. 

vor 16 Stunden schrieb michali:

Heavily cropped final image   -SL2 & Canon 400mm USM II with MC-21 adapter. 

Thank you for sharing your images. IQ is indeed much better than with the the EF 600 III. For wildlife I stay with my Canon EOS R. Maybe one day there will be a better option for L-mount...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, caissa said:

I am not famous, but I also find the EF 100-400 IS II an excellent lens. B) Usually you don't need an extender, cropping is better. But it works ok with 1.4x extender, but loses AF with 2x extender. (Main strength is close focus even closer than 1m . I also thought about adding a close up tube, but in the end never needed to.)
Of course AF is much quicker with a Canon 5DSR, but with MC-21 acceptable on SL2.

The 100-400 is an excellent lens, my workhorse for wildlife since its release. 

But I never achieved good results with the 1,4 X extender. 

That’s why I travel also with the 500/4 IS which gives me great results even when paired with the same 1,4 X extender. 

Rob Benton (tritentrue) left the board last year (still shoots Leica sometimes, but mostly Sony now for longs). He was certainly among our very, very finest naturalists and a great experimenter with equipment. I'm linking this so that we can appreciate his work: look especially at his top bird there, post 1685

He produced terrific work with a lot of equipment, not least the rig I use (but obviously can't equal him) R 80-200 f/4 and 2x APO.

Edited by bags27

I have a Canon 500L FD , in the past about 15 - 20 years ago I did a lot of photography from floating blinds most of the time I had a 400. 2.8 and 600. F4 each mounted to body se up on bean bags poking out of the blind and. 70-210 on a third body hand held. 

These days I just do not have that energy to carry 80 lb of gear inflatable Dingy wet suit buried under tarps and camo for 5-6 hours in freezing weather early spring and late fall in southern Ontario marshes.  For having some backyard fun I think a 400. And a 1.4 ext should be enough.