Should I buy a copy of the Summicron-S 100mm?

geetee1972

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 1 Minute schrieb geetee1972:

I've only had it a few months but i've used it for every portrait shoot I've done since that time. I used it for perhaps one of my five personal favourite images I've ever made:

41Jan 18 2020 by Greg Turner, on Flickr

This one is made with the 70mm Summarit as I see on Flickr Info...

This one I really like... I would love to look at the original DNG of this...

• Like 5

This one is made with the 70mm Summarit as I see on Flickr Info...

So it was. This was the one made with the 100mm:

Untitled - The Shadow by Greg Turner, on Flickr

Happy to share some of the DNG files with you. If you message me with your email address I can send them to you.

• Like 3

Leica S007 + 100mm Summicron-S

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Am 17.2.2020 um 09:07 schrieb geetee1972:

So it was. This was the one made with the 100mm:

Untitled - The Shadow by Greg Turner, on Flickr

Happy to share some of the DNG files with you. If you message me with your email address I can send them to you.

Thank you very much for the DNGs you send. They are really nice photos and its possible to look at the files. My conclusion or impression is that the extraction caused by the 2.0 aperture is more extreme and special compared to the 120mm @ 2.5 aperture... In the end I guess the 100mm is more usable for portraiture than the 120mm and is a bit more special than the 70mm, which is also a great lens.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is with a heavy heart that I am sadly going to have to let go of my copy of the S-100mm. I am in the process of divorcing and the reality is that my costs for the process have just spiked and I need to raise some cash. Jan1985 has first refusal but if he decides he doesn't want it I can sell it to anyone else who is interested. The lens has had the AF motor replaced and has five month's warranty left from the retailer I purchased it from. I'm looking for £3000/€3500, which will inlude postage.

I just made a comparison shot between 100mm and 120mm. As you must minimize resolution its just a small hint to really see differences.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just today I did a random shot with the 120mm and the 100mm. You clearly see the difference in the more dynamic bokeh of the 100mm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jan1985,   I agree with Setuporg above.  Yet, the S 100 has been described as the rendering like a Noctilux.  The bokeh and DOF drop-off of the S 100 appears to make it that way.  Although, the S 100 appears to render with more resolution wide open than say a 50 Noctilux .95.  Thank you for posting this interesting comparison.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 2

vor 8 Stunden schrieb setuporg:

@Jan1985, the S120 is kinder to the portrait.

You think it’s better for portrait? Me personally preferring that more unique bokeh of the 100S because it gives every picture a unique signature.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb LeicaR10:

Jan1985,   I agree with Setuporg above.  Yet, the S 100 has been described as the rendering like a Noctilux.  The bokeh and DOF drop-off of the S 100 appears to make it that way.  Although, the S 100 appears to render with more resolution wide open than say a 50 Noctilux .95.  Thank you for posting this interesting comparison.  r/ Mark

You are welcome. Yes it’s somewhat more like Noctilux with a „nervous“ bokeh... 

s100

• Like 5

On 6/2/2020 at 2:19 AM, Jan1985 said:

You think it’s better for portrait? Me personally preferring that more unique bokeh of the 100S because it gives every picture a unique signature.

It's kinder to the wrinkles, creating a smoother portrait.  Of course the little gitl in @ropo54's photo does not need that extra help from the lens.:)

• Thanks 1

vor 52 Minuten schrieb Milan_S:

Me too prefer the Summicron-S 100mm f2.0 over the 120 for portraits...

Do you remember the time when you wanted to sell the 100mm and I said its nicer for portraits? I am glad that you kept it... Its wonderful

• 2 months later...