frame-it

Advertisement (gone after registration)

a few quick tests after finally getting the adapter..all shots with full extension ..i think its 30mm ?

SL + 90mm APO Summicron M + Macro Adapter M

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

SL + 90mm APO Summicron M + Macro Adapter M / f8

Fuji GFX50r + 90mm APO Summicron M + Macro Adapter M

• Like 1

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, ropo54 said:

Thanks . . .

I just ended up buying a pre-owned X1D.  It is a pleasure to carry compared to my S 007.  I'll see if I can acclimate to its slow shooting speed, however the images are superb.

Hope you bring it to NY, Rob! It'd be awesome for landscape.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Hope you bring it to NY, Rob! It'd be awesome for landscape.

I will, Ken, assuming I stay with it.  I still am not willing to give up the S, though.  

For travel, the XCD 45mm (35mm equivalent) on the X1D is a pleasure to carry. Perhaps a tad lighter than the SL w Leica 35 FLE.  Rob

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2020 at 12:11 PM, ropo54 said:

Thanks . . .

I just ended up buying a pre-owned X1D.  It is a pleasure to carry compared to my S 007.  I'll see if I can acclimate to its slow shooting speed, however the images are superb.

Have fun with it.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jaeger said:

is it part number 14652?  Can I presume this macro adapter works with most M lenses? 

Yes, 14652 Macro adapter works with any M lens. That said, if you use anything shorter than 90 you'll find the working distance uncomfortably close and wide angle lenses are almost unusable in this regard.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, wattsy said:

Yes, 14652 Macro adapter works with any M lens. That said, if you use anything shorter than 90 you'll find the working distance uncomfortably close and wide angle lenses are almost unusable in this regard.

Do you mean longer than 90 would be too close?  I read about wider that 28mm has no noticeable macro effect, is that correct?

Thanks for confirming the part number, it's very expensive for a "spacer"  lol

37 minutes ago, jaeger said:

Do you mean longer than 90 would be too close?  I read about wider that 28mm has no noticeable macro effect, is that correct?

No, I mean shorter than 90. To obtain focus with, say, a 50 you have to bring the lens within just a few inches of the object you are photographing. With a 28, even closer. Obviously you also lose infinity focus when using the adapter and, with the shorter focal lengths, you have a very restricted focal range available – just a couple of inches or so to a few inches.😀 

I don't think your second statement is correct. You can get a very pronounced "macro effect" with a wide angle lens (subject of course to the limitations of having to virtually butt the lens up against the subject)

Incidentally, the 14652 is an expensive spacer but it is a very nicely engineered one. The Macro Adapter-M with the goggles (I can't remember the code) is also excellent and brings macro-ish photography to the film cameras.

Edited by wattsy

• 2 months later...

Can I just clarify a couple of point here? (I get lost in the technical detail very quickly):

As I understand it the Leica micro adapter part 14652 will work with my M10 and APO Summicron 90mm f2ASPH lens?

But from the technical points above, will it work well at the 90mm focal length?  Or will it be so hard to focus it won't be worth while?

Many thanks.

2 hours ago, Johnclare369 said:

Can I just clarify a couple of point here? (I get lost in the technical detail very quickly):

As I understand it the Leica micro adapter part 14652 will work with my M10 and APO Summicron 90mm f2ASPH lens?

But from the technical points above, will it work well at the 90mm focal length?  Or will it be so hard to focus it won't be worth while?

Many thanks.

The 14652 adapter is made to be used with an EVF. Works fine with the 90/2 apo on the M240 (no experience with M10) if one accepts the limits of the sluggish EVF. Now aside from special effects, using the 90/2 apo at f/2 will be almost useless due to the extra thin DoF with the adapter.   

Thanks lct.

I've bought the Leica Macro adapter (part no 14652). I've only had it a few hours and had a brief play around with it on my M10 and APO Summichron f2 90mm and EVF, so excuse the dumb newbie questions:

1. The process of extending it: The more it is extended, the closer I can get physically to the subject, right? Also if I need to be further away, I retract the adapter? (Of course we're talking close-up photography so  I will always be close, eg within 1 metre.)

2. Is there a point in using it part-extended, or should I always use it longest (30mm, I believe) or fully rectracted (18mm, I believe)?

3. When you use it, do you switch between focussing with the lens and adjusting the adapter extension, or do you set the extension depending on the distance from the subject, and fine focus using EVF to get it sharp?

4. As you say, it is very difficult to use at f2. What would you say is the widest usable aperture? 2.8 or 4?

Many thanks.

JC

10 minutes ago, Johnclare369 said:

1. The process of extending it: The more it is extended, the closer I can get physically to the subject, right? Also if I need to be further away, I retract the adapter? (Of course we're talking close-up photography so  I will always be close, eg within 1 metre.)

2. Is there a point in using it part-extended, or should I always use it longest (30mm, I believe) or fully rectracted (18mm, I believe)?

3. When you use it, do you switch between focussing with the lens and adjusting the adapter extension, or do you set the extension depending on the distance from the subject, and fine focus using EVF to get it sharp?

4. As you say, it is very difficult to use at f2. What would you say is the widest usable aperture? 2.8 or 4?

1. Correct but you won't go farther than about 0.6m when using the adapter.
2. I don't care but others may think differently sorry.
3. I don't care either sorry again.
4. Depends on the DoF you need. This pic has been shot at f/5.6 with a digital CL for example so i would need about f/8 to get the same DoF with my M240. (Digital CL, 90/2 apo, macro adapter v2, f/5.6)