Any Foveon news?

verwackelt

Some days ago i wrote a email to Sigma and got a reply today.
There is a little bit of hope 😉
Quote:

"……We, SIGMA, are still trying very hard to release Full-frame Foveon camera, but at this point, we cannot make any promise and commitment for when it is going to be released.  

However, please take our announcement as a re-start of the project, not an abort. Foveon sensor is our identity. We will continue to work very hard to improve Foveon sensory technology.
…"

• Like 3

Yes i think it is really the "spirit" of Sigma to keep trying...
It is an interesting company. Quite small compared to panasonic or Sony etc.
But they are very enthusiastic at work.

I watched their Online magazine and one of their movies.
It is not a bad partner for Leica.
Imagine sometimes there will be a 35mm  X3Merrill sensor with its own kind of colours and details and a Apo-SL lens attached to it…
I hope they keep on keeping on…

http://www.sigma-sein.com/en/

• Like 2

And Sigma's modern lenses are excellent (but when will we see a long lens in L-mount, eg Sigma 500mm f4?). 

5 hours ago, verwackelt said:

Yes i think it is really the "spirit" of Sigma to keep trying...
It is an interesting company. Quite small compared to panasonic or Sony etc.
But they are very enthusiastic at work.

I watched their Online magazine and one of their movies.
It is not a bad partner for Leica.
Imagine sometimes there will be a 35mm  X3Merrill sensor with its own kind of colours and details and a Apo-SL lens attached to it…
I hope they keep on keeping on…

http://www.sigma-sein.com/en/

+1. And Sigma's modern lenses are excellent (but when will we see a long lens in L-mount, eg Sigma 500mm f4...?). 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

45 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

That may be the reason that all wildlive and sports photographer i know still use Nikon or Canon.

Those two brands have dominated professional sports and wildlife photography for at least 50 years. I don't think those markets are big enough for a third company; they do it for prestige as much as profit.

The real "professional" competition is happening in the overlapping fields of short-form video, event, fashion, product, travel, lifestyle, corporate, etc. Canon and Nikon are two players in a crowded field. Nikon didn't even have a serious video offer until very recently.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, verwackelt said:

Yes Tele primes are lacking in the l-Mount.
That may be the reason that all wildlive and sports photographer i know still use Nikon or Canon.

Even if such primes existed, it is unlikely that many professional wildlife and sports photographers would be in a hurry to switch brands. They are too heavily invested in their lenses. The amateur long lens market, perhaps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2020 at 1:37 PM, Marac said:

I was informed (by a Sigma employee) many years ago that it would be virtually impossible to make the Foveon sensor FF, he did bang on about the tech reasons for this but my heart had already sunk by that time. There is, however, the possibility of a crop L mount body with an APS-C Foveon sensor inside it. If I hear anything else about it I will post the details.

The CEO of SIGMA has explained in several interviews that there is no problem escalating a Foveon sensor to FF size. 

The problem with Foveons are the processors. Available image processors and code are designed for Bayer sensors. Sigma uses general purpose processors, far less efficient.

Another serious problem is how get a high resolution EVF with high frame rates and low latency.

• Thanks 1

Am 10.2.2020 um 14:06 schrieb dau:

The Foveon sensor has many layers. I rather think that it must be much thicker than the other sensors. Hence, each pixel site would form a rather deep pit. The light from the lens has to reach the bottom of each pit. This might be difficult to obtain in the border regions of a full format sensor. Finding a micro lens which directs the light to the bottom of every pit for all focal lengths also might prove to be difficult. Leica found this difficult in the M9 even for the shallow sensors with the CFA.

Sigma offers an APS-H camera for wide angle lenses with focal lengths of 10 to 14mm. The sensor is somewhat smaller than the M8. But 12mm times 1.3 gives a 15mm equivalent FF focal length. These are not type rangefinder lenses, but lenses with a long mount , similar to SLR lenses. Herewith the light reaches the sensor more perpendicular.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/18/2020 at 8:40 PM, BernardC said:

Those two brands have dominated professional sports and wildlife photography for at least 50 years. I don't think those markets are big enough for a third company; they do it for prestige as much as profit.

The real "professional" competition is happening in the overlapping fields of short-form video, event, fashion, product, travel, lifestyle, corporate, etc. Canon and Nikon are two players in a crowded field. Nikon didn't even have a serious video offer until very recently.

Panasonic is making inroads, but that is MFT, of course.