Any Foveon news?

verwackelt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Long time ago Sigma announced a 35mm Foveon camera with L-mount for 2020.
What i noticed is, that it is really quiet about that camera. Almost as quiet as about the Zeiss ZX1. 
Is anybody here more informed about the Sigma Foveon 35mm camera?
Any serious rumors?

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sigma's Foveon processor has appeared in a couple of its cameras now, some brilliantly, some less so. If they nail this with the L mount, it could be an incredible landscape camera. Imagine it with the 16-35 or the future 21 prime.

• Like 2

I fear that Sigma will stop the Foveon Merrill project altogether.
They have probably seen the sales figures in the camera market and fear that the development costs for their niche product can never be earned again.
As much as Sigma is driven by enthusiasm, they also have to pay attention to the numbers.
I still hope that Sigma will find a way to bring an update of the X3 sensor to the market.
And if it will only be a smaller intermediate APS-H or so camera in tradition of their DP-1, DP-2, and  DP3 Merrill.
With L-mount, articulating screen and EVF of course... 😉

I was informed (by a Sigma employee) many years ago that it would be virtually impossible to make the Foveon sensor FF, he did bang on about the tech reasons for this but my heart had already sunk by that time. There is, however, the possibility of a crop L mount body with an APS-C Foveon sensor inside it. If I hear anything else about it I will post the details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, verwackelt said:

Thank you. I would like to learn more about the details why there are so much problems to scale that technology to 35mm.
Please keep us informed…

Only a guess, scaling to a bigger sensor is probably a matter of production volume and achieving low unit cost that will enable producing marketable camera. 

We should bear in mind that Foveon is real niche product which is multi layered photo sensor, individual colour photo sites are arranged in layers, compared to ordinary single layer photo sensors* which can be with or without Bayer CFA (colour filter array) plus blocking filters and microlens add-on.

Perhaps the reason more why L Alliance members share same 47MP sensors (Pana S1R and Leica SL2,), also same 24Mp (Pana S1 and Sigma FP), individual brand cameras fitted with specific micro lenses added on top (Leica SL2 to work with M lenses).  

Note* Market for photo sensors is bigger than photography; Industrial vision, automotive, mobile phones, etc, require huge volumes, all based on common single layer approach which we are familiar with in the digital photography.   Foveon, to best of my knowledge, only exist in Sigma cameras.  Also, CCD are cheaper to produce in small volumes than CMOS. 

Edited by mmradman
Note added

The Foveon sensor has many layers. I rather think that it must be much thicker than the other sensors. Hence, each pixel site would form a rather deep pit. The light from the lens has to reach the bottom of each pit. This might be difficult to obtain in the border regions of a full format sensor. Finding a micro lens which directs the light to the bottom of every pit for all focal lengths also might prove to be difficult. Leica found this difficult in the M9 even for the shallow sensors with the CFA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1